Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amarok 2.2

Angry Amarok 2.2

So today I finally decided to upgrade Amarok from 1.4.9 to 2.2 I held off because I heard some bad things about it. Well, those people weren't lying. What were the guys who develop Amarok thinking?

First, none of my settings from Amarok were imported, (play count, ratings, tags, cover art). So I thought... ok, whatever. I then tried to retrieve the cover art, and album covers that 1.4.9 found with no problem, 2.2 couldn't find.... it couldn't find over 200 albums.

Second, I was unable to find any way to load my entire collection. Sometimes I don't know what I want to listen to any like to browse through the collection until I find something. I don't want to have to have a playlist for everything. I was unable to find the "50 random tracks" option.

Third, It took over 5 minutes to fully load the player. Mind you, I am not running a amazing system. (P4 2.4ghz, 2gb ram). But, it shouldn't take that long to play a song. I thought maybe because it was the first time running Amarok and it had to build my collection. The second and third time loading it took the same amount of time...and scanned my collection again.

In short, it took me less time to rollback to 1.4.9 and start playing a song, with all my settings fully intact than it took me to play one song in 2.2.

Default Re: Amarok 2.2

You made a good decision going back to 1.4.9 as the developers of version 2 appear to have deliberatly dumbed down the application.

I'm using 2.1.1 on 11.2 and it seems to have lost most of my album covers or can't find them on Amazon anymore. The wikipedia function only searches for artist (band); that's right only artist names that are qualified as a band. However it does play my collection perfectly well, but it still won't play cd's from the cd drive. Stick with what you prefer.

The fact that you can not get your album art from Amazon is independent from the Amarok level. It is due to Amazon having changed its interface, it now being restricted to a certain catagory of users. Search the Forums for 'Amazon' (or the Internet) for more information.

I agree that changing from Amazon 1 to Amazon 2 takes at least as many effort for the end-user as going to a complete different tool, but the frustration about it should not let you blame the Amarok people for things they can not do anything about.
    Henk van Velden

It took me a bit to find it when I switched but in Amarok
    2-->Settings-->Configure Amarok-->Import Collection. Then work through the
    dialogues depending on what database back end and cover art folder
    directory you were using for Amarok 1.4.

--
    kev.

Blog Entries

OK, this may sound a bit odd, but amarok is written in python. So what you say. What's that got to do with anything? Simple. You can code your own python scripts, addons, or simply "patch" amarok to make it do what you want. If you don't know python, it's not that hard to learn. It's about as hard as bash. Python Documentation Index Actually, I find it a bit easier. If you want, or prefer to use an IDE, I like Eric for that. The Eric Python IDE

You could also submit a bug report to the amarok team.

Just my 2 cents
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    Don't ask "if" something can be done, for it can always be done. Rather instead ask "How" can it be done.

It might indeed be better to import your old database (including album art) as yu210148 explains, beecause loading album art fresh from Amazon will not work anymore.
    Henk van Velden

Mamarok NNTP User

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan_R View Post
    OK, this may sound a bit odd, but amarok is written in python.
    No, it is not, it is written in Qt/C++. Don't know where that information comes from, but is utterly wrong.
    Amarok 2.x is fully scriptable, though, using Javascript, which is even simpler than Pyhton...

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    It might indeed be better to import your old database (including album art) as yu210148 explains, beecause loading album art fresh from Amazon will not work anymore.
    Thanks for the update on Amazon. Indeed, that will probably be my next experiment with version 2.x that I can perform on 11.2 test partition, and also on a kubuntu 9.10 partition (with release 2.2).

Thanks to everyone's responses sparked by my comments. Just to clarify those album covers are probably not "lost" as I still have them in some dir (I hope) under amarok 1.4.10 on my 11.1 KDE3 partition. I assume that even with 1.4.10, if I needed to freshly reload them from Amazon, I would have the same problem.

Version 2.1.1 did pick up a very small few of the covers, hmm. Amazon operates a UK site (I normally use) and a US site, that maybe not relevant if the site is hard-coded. Not being on 11.2 KDE4 test partition right now, I will check that later.

@Jonathan_R, nice tips for those keen to program. Alas, I feel those days are too many moons behind me to return to, although I will bookmark in case that changes.

As a simple user, I haven't found any way to change the wikipedia search function.

Finally, I don't wish to start a debate here about whether the cover download is the responsibility of Amarok or Amazon, since it's only a view. If this was the first version of amarok, I would agree with @hcvv. IIRC there were interface problems with the amazon cover search in 1.4.x that were eventually fixed. The devs should have had a "plan B". I have no sympathy for a project that turns an arguably best-of-breed product into one that has received much adverse criticism in other chat/soapbox threads and elsewhere. No need to examine it again here. I may yet try an alternative tool.

Quote Originally Posted by yu210148 View Post
    It took me a bit to find it when I switched but in Amarok
    2-->Settings-->Configure Amarok-->Import Collection. Then work through the
    dialogues depending on what database back end and cover art folder
    directory you were using for Amarok 1.4.

--
    kev.
    Thanks, I originally setup the collection directly using version 2's Configure Amarok function where you select the directories manually. But must have missed/ignored those dialogues (?). The collection is on a separate data partition mounted at boot time (fstab) to whichever distro I boot from. I assume the cover-art directory of 1.4.9 would be on my 11.1 KDE3 partition. Do you think your solution might work?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mamarok View Post
    No, it is not, it is written in Qt/C++. Don't know where that information comes from, but is utterly wrong.
    Amarok 2.x is fully scriptable, though, using Javascript, which is even simpler than Pyhton...
    Maybe I was thinking of the scripts/modules, in which most are python.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    Don't ask "if" something can be done, for it can always be done. Rather instead ask "How" can it be done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast