Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PAE vs Default?....

Question PAE vs Default?....

What is the advantage of using the PAE configuration than the default and How can I change or edit the boot menu that gives me the options?

Default Re: PAE vs Default?....

Physical Address Extension - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

you can install it in parallel to default and it should add an entry automatically to your boot menu

It is not the configuation that changes but the kernel. The PAE allows to have more than 4GB of memory and additionally activates the NX (No Execute bit) in CPUs that support this, otherwise there is no difference. So it is a bit better to have the PAE kernel for just this NX bit because if you have more than 4 GB of memory then i recommend using 64 bit system (anyway i recommend it always even if you don't have that much memory as most of the CPU's support it and are more efficient thanks to additional registers used).
    How does a linux geek make love??

- rtfm; unzip; strip; touch; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; umount; zip; sleep;

Thanks for the replies and clearing that up for me!

I have it installed now and I would like to change the boot menu to look a bit nicer. Either where is the config file or is there a module I can use?

You can do it in YaST somewhere or other.

My personal preference is to directly edit (as root) /boot/grub/menu.lst, and you should back it up first.

There are blocks of information relating to each menu choice - each will begin 'title'. They appear in the order they are in the file. Notice the 'default' setting near the top, which you may wish to adjust, counts from 0.

I also prefer to manually edit menu.lst. DO keep a separate copy after editing of menu.lst, somewhere safe. When kernel updates are applied, menu.lst is automatically updated to reflect that, and sometimes mistakes occur or boot parameters get dropped.

Ok thanks! I appreciate your help!

Confuseling wrote:

>
    > You can do it in YaST somewhere or other.
    >

If you would like to do it with yast it's in Yast-->System-->Boot Loader

--
    kev.

Could you go in to a bit more detail please. My system grub menu defaults to PAE,but I have only 2Gb memory. Is there any advantage to making the plain vanilla kernel the default, or should I just leave alone?

Tumbleweed/KDE/Ati Radeon R9 270/AMD FX-6300/8Gb DDR3

That is fine,leave it as it is, changing to default won't bring you any differences, additionally with the PAE kernel you are safer (NoExecute bit).
    How does a linux geek make love??

- rtfm; unzip; strip; touch; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; umount; zip; sleep;

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast