Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: opensuse 10.2 & openoffice 30.0

  1. #1

    Cool opensuse 10.2 & openoffice 30.0

    hey boys 'nd girls,
    on a server that has opensuse 10.2 and openoffice 2.0,
    i installed Oo3.1 from the Oo site, by tar.gz file.
    i thought the new version would install over the old version.
    In the end both the old AND new version or on the machine, with
    the new one not opening. When clicking on the new icons, it goes
    up and down for a while, that's it. No error message. Version 2.0
    opens normal.
    i'm hesitant at removing the old version,the employees working on
    the server could be without openoffice.
    i didn't think two versions could be on one machine.
    thanks for any help
    linuxjohan

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    310

    Default Re: opensuse 10.2 & openoffice 30.0

    openoffice 30.0??

    I think I must have missed a couple of updates
    It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong.

  3. #3

    Cool Re: opensuse 10.2 & openoffice 30.0

    Ok Dwarfer, thanks for pointing out the typo...solution as wel?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    19,983
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: opensuse 10.2 & openoffice 30.0

    Here's a bit of a problem. 10.2 is no longer supported, so if you uninstall OO.o you might not be able to reinstall through openSUSE rpms.
    Some way the versions must be biting each other. Where did the 3.0 version install itself? From what you write it looks like the programs don't start at all.
    Please open a terminal window, invoke the command below and post output here:

    su -c 'find / -name oowriter -print'
    (enter root password when prompted for)

    This way we can find out where both instances of Writer are located.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    27,099
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: opensuse 10.2 & openoffice 30.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht
    Here's a bit of a problem. 10.2 is no longer supported, so if you
    uninstall OO.o you might not be able to reinstall through openSUSE rpms.

    Some way the versions must be biting each other. Where did the 3.0
    version install itself? From what you write it looks like the programs
    don't start at all.
    Please open a terminal window, invoke the command below and post output
    here:

    su -c 'find / -name oowriter -print'
    (enter root password when prompted for)

    This way we can find out where both instances of Writer are located.
    Hi
    There are still rpm's, iso's and updates here;
    http://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/opensuse/discontinued/

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.37-0.1-default
    up 4 days 18:05, 2 users, load average: 0.30, 0.29, 0.22
    GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 190.18


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,825
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: opensuse 10.2 & openoffice 30.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Here's a bit of a problem. 10.2 is no longer supported, so if you uninstall OO.o you might not be able to reinstall through openSUSE rpms.
    Some way the versions must be biting each other. Where did the 3.0 version install itself? From what you write it looks like the programs don't start at all.
    Please open a terminal window, invoke the command below and post output here:

    su -c 'find / -name oowriter -print'
    (enter root password when prompted for)

    This way we can find out where both instances of Writer are located.

    To go along with this, a few other things may help.
    Code:
    which oowriter
    On my system (11.1) it shows that it's in /usr/bin/
    Another way would be with rpm.
    Code:
    rpm -qa | grep oo* | more
    Ofcourse you can feel free to change the oo* as you need.
    The Parts of an RPM Query
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    Don't ask "if" something can be done, for it can always be done. Rather instead ask "How" can it be done.

  7. #7

    Cool Re: opensuse 10.2 & openoffice 30.0

    thanks for the replies.
    output is this:
    # su -c 'find / -name oowriter -print'
    /usr/bin/oowriter
    this is version 2.0
    Tussenhuis:/usr/bin # cat ooffice
    #!/bin/sh
    export OOO_EXTRA_ARG=''
    /usr/lib/ooo-2.0/program/ooqstart "$@"

    i have version 3 in /opt
    :/opt # ls
    gnome ltsp openoffice.org openvpn-2.0.9-92.1.x86_64.rpm
    kde3 ltsp-4.2 openoffice.org3
    Tussenhuis:/opt # cd openoffice.org3
    Tussenhuis:/opt/openoffice.org3 # ls
    LICENSE README THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME.html licenses readmes
    LICENSE.html README.html basis-link program share

    :/opt/openoffice.org3 # cd program
    Tussenhuis:/opt/openoffice.org3/program # ls
    about.bmp intro.bmp sbase soffice.bin unopkg
    bootstraprc libnpsoplugin.so scalc sofficerc unopkg.bin
    crash_report python setuprc spadmin versionrc
    crash_report.bin redirectrc simpress swriter
    fundamentalrc resource soffice unoinfo

    so i think i have both versions, and i have both 2.0 and 3.0
    launchers.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,825
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: opensuse 10.2 & openoffice 30.0

    Quote Originally Posted by linuxjohan View Post
    thanks for the replies.
    output is this:
    # su -c 'find / -name oowriter -print'
    /usr/bin/oowriter
    this is version 2.0
    Tussenhuis:/usr/bin # cat ooffice
    #!/bin/sh
    export OOO_EXTRA_ARG=''
    /usr/lib/ooo-2.0/program/ooqstart "$@"

    i have version 3 in /opt
    :/opt # ls
    gnome ltsp openoffice.org openvpn-2.0.9-92.1.x86_64.rpm
    kde3 ltsp-4.2 openoffice.org3
    Tussenhuis:/opt # cd openoffice.org3
    Tussenhuis:/opt/openoffice.org3 # ls
    LICENSE README THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME.html licenses readmes
    LICENSE.html README.html basis-link program share

    :/opt/openoffice.org3 # cd program
    Tussenhuis:/opt/openoffice.org3/program # ls
    about.bmp intro.bmp sbase soffice.bin unopkg
    bootstraprc libnpsoplugin.so scalc sofficerc unopkg.bin
    crash_report python setuprc spadmin versionrc
    crash_report.bin redirectrc simpress swriter
    fundamentalrc resource soffice unoinfo

    so i think i have both versions, and i have both 2.0 and 3.0
    launchers.
    You do. So add an option in your menu for that. Right click on the start button and select edit menu, then find Office. From there you'll need to add each of the openoffice parts to there respective submenus. The command to launch oowrite for version 3 should be in /opt. More than likely /opt/openoffice.org3/yada/yada.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    Don't ask "if" something can be done, for it can always be done. Rather instead ask "How" can it be done.

  9. #9

    Cool Re: opensuse 10.2 & openoffice 30.0

    thank you, i'll try that tomorrow.
    or could it be done remote via ssh?
    linuxjohan

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,825
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: opensuse 10.2 & openoffice 30.0

    Quote Originally Posted by linuxjohan View Post
    thank you, i'll try that tomorrow.
    or could it be done remote via ssh?
    linuxjohan
    It could be done via ssh if you know how.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    Don't ask "if" something can be done, for it can always be done. Rather instead ask "How" can it be done.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •