How many run openSUSE Gnome?

I’m thinking about running openSUSE Gnome and am curious how many other people here are running Gnome as their primary desktop?

I get the feeling that KDE has the larger percentage of users, but I want to get a feel for other Gnome users.

I’ve tried KDE, and while I like KDE 4.x when I am looking at it, when it comes time to work with it I find it just doesn’t work for me.

That, and I want to fool around some with Mono which, while it does work in KDE, it is more orientated towards Gnome.

Hi
I run Gnome DE’s SLED, openSUSE and Solaris :wink:

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.37-0.1-default
up 1 day 16:52, 2 users, load average: 0.12, 0.11, 0.07
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 190.18

Actually, I mostly run Xfce, but next best thing for me is Gnome. KDE, never touch the stuff.

Friends don’t let friends KDE. :stuck_out_tongue:

Big Bear

On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 20:06:01 +0000, dragonbite wrote:

> I’m thinking about running openSUSE Gnome and am curious how many other
> people here are running Gnome as their primary desktop?
>
> I get the feeling that KDE has the larger percentage of users, but I
> want to get a feel for other Gnome users.
>
> I’ve tried KDE, and while I like KDE 4.x when I am looking at it, when
> it comes time to work with it I find it just doesn’t work for me.
>
> That, and I want to fool around some with Mono which, while it does work
> in KDE, it is more orientated towards Gnome.

KDE does have a larger percentage of users, but there are many like us
who prefer GNOME.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Moderator

KDE all the way here. Never really liked the looks of GNOME and how it does stuff. When it comes to openSUSE, the majority use KDE but there’re quite a few who use GNOME

Real friends let friends use whatever they like and whatever suits their needs :wink:

I am also a Gnome fan.

I have tried all versions of KDE, and even if the 4.3 version is good, I can’t keep using it.

I like the clean and simple interface that Gnome offers. In comparison, KDE looks messy to me and I don’t like spending time on the interface.

Also, most of my favorite applications are gtk ones, so, of course, with Gnome they integrate perfectly.

So I won’t switch and I am looking forward Gnome 3.0, which already shapes well.

You’re right. I run Xfce and Gnome, I don’t give a rats patoot what ya’ll use. just as long as it’s Gnome or Xfce

WAHAHArotfl!

( btw folks, microchip got me, it don’t really matter, I’m just funnin ya)

Big Bear

Absolutely. We should cast aside these petty squabbles, and in the name of all that is right and true, unite against the common enemy; emacs.

rotfl!rotfl!

unite against the common enemy; emacs.

he said it, he said it. I can’t believe came right ou and said it.

WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHArotfl!rotfl!

Big Bear

Gnome ATM (while KDE settles down). It’s so good to have a DE with no eccentricities.

I’ll install both KDE & Gnome on separate partitions when 11.2 is released, and give them both a whirl to see which is better this time round.

Are you going to post a comparative review on your thought of both KDE and Gnome on openSUSE 11.2 when you do this? That would be an interesting read.

I’m interested to know Malcolm - how you get on with Multi-Media in SLED. Is it OK to add Packman?

I used to switch between Gnome and KDE3, but after the not-ready-for-prime time KDE4 was pushed in oS 11.0, I went exclusively to Gnome and haven’t looked back. I’ve been looking at KDE 4.3, and while it’s improved a lot, I wouldn’t make it me primary desktop. There are a few K-apps that don’t have a match in Gnome, though, such as K3B.

I love the choice. Main DE is KDE4, but I use Gnome, XFCE and LXDE as well. They all have their pros and contras. Like anything in life.

Too busy ATM. It’s always very busy when there’s a new release of openSUSE.

Using KDE as I prefer all the default KDE applications above the Gnome counterparts.

Exceptions being Kopete/Pidgin, of which I like neither… although I haven’t really given them a chance for a long time, but I quite like KMess (and liked Emesene under Gnome).
Same thing with the mediaplayer, don’t like Kaffeine or Totem, much prefer SMPlayer.

Easier to get a coherent desktop under gnome though, Firefox and Chromium and java apps all using GTK (or looking like it) which is a point of envy I must admit :wink:

Hi
It should work ok just not supported :wink:

This site http://www.pcc-services.com/index.html provided custom builds
but nothing for 11 yet.

Unfortunately I haven’t tested it as I use the fluendo codec bundle and
DVD player, two rpms to install and everything works.

I had a bug initially with the DVD player in SLED, they fixed it within
48 hours and had it updated.

up 2 days 10:06, 2 users, load average: 0.00, 0.04, 0.07

Forgot to say I use handbrake as well as libdvdcss (for handbrake) just
custom compiled those two on a SLED VM.

up 2 days 10:28, 2 users, load average: 0.00, 0.03, 0.03

I use Gnome, and I like it - lots. For whatever reasons, and they vary, KDE has always turned out to be a deal-breaker,

I certainly hope that this Suse-KDE thing does not become exclusive, leaving Gnome behind. I like OpenSuse with Gnome. I hope I do not feel the need to cgange.

berk-