Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu in the news.. in a negative light

Default Ubuntu in the news.. in a negative light

Early adopters bloodied by Ubuntu's Karmic Koala € The Register
    Hope Mandriva is doing better (released a new version yesterday?) or this might not bode well for openSUSE 11.2 which is due in just one week.

I see another topic has been started about it here:
    http://forums.opensuse.org/general-c...tu-karmic.html

If some moderator happens to stumble upon this one, feel free to close it

Default Re: Ubuntu in the news.. in a negative light

Quote Originally Posted by Axeia View Post
    Early adopters bloodied by Ubuntu's Karmic Koala • The Register
    Hope Mandriva is doing better (released a new version yesterday?) or this might not bode well for openSUSE 11.2 which is due in just one week.

I see another topic has been started about it here:
    Not a good start for Ubuntu Karmic - openSUSE Forums

If some moderator happens to stumble upon this one, feel free to close it
    Whooh... I shiver with fear of the same thing happening to openSUSE 11.2...
    That's partly why the openSUSE people made the decision to release a new version every eight months, so that there would be more time to build and test the software. A six-months release schedule is a bit too short.
    Ubuntu Karmic seems to have made a very bad start... I hope this means more openSUSE users.
    "Darkness called But I was on the phone, so I missed him. I tried to *69 Darkness, but his machine picked up. I yelled "Pick up the phone, Darkness!," but he ignored me. Darkness must have been screening his calls."

Quote Originally Posted by BrownieCat View Post
    Ubuntu Karmic seems to have made a very bad start... I hope this means more openSUSE users.
    Oh let the Uboobooers re-install the OS, or Windows, and then they can eat their Cheerios with some humble pie!

Silly Ubooboo users. Oh I can hear he birds chirping. The Ubooboo fanatics are not so loud at the moment.

As long as OpenSuSE 11.2 is better than 11.1, then I'll be happy. If 11.2 is as fun as 11.1... then I'll have to take seat with some of the the Ubooboo fans and ask them to pass the salt for my slice of humble pie.

Yes we can all listen with pride as Steve Jobs tells us to: "... all eat cake!"
    " If you don't play a sport, be one! " Quote from: Max Jackson

I like this thread , lets mock them some more
    Hey Ubuntu, Stop Making Linux Look Bad
    VERBA VOLANT, SCRIPTA MANENT

Quote Originally Posted by SLK021 View Post
    I like this thread , lets mock them some more
    Hey Ubuntu, Stop Making Linux Look Bad
    HA! That report was really amusing.
    But I must say that the writer was completely right. Windows users migrating to Linux are usually directed to Ubuntu and if they end up with such a buggy, horrible release like Karmic, they'll go back to Windows and never come back... Though some might go to Fedora or openSUSE or some other distro.
    "Darkness called But I was on the phone, so I missed him. I tried to *69 Darkness, but his machine picked up. I yelled "Pick up the phone, Darkness!," but he ignored me. Darkness must have been screening his calls."

Blog Entries

I don't think this is amusing at all. Just think about the energy etc. your own distro has to put up to overcome yet another piece of negative publicity.

Heavy criticism on Canonical? Agreed. But Ubuntu users have made the same choice: linux / open source. No need to ridicule them as some kind of inferior linux users. Maybe my age but using open source software to me includes the duty to support, not to mock.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    I don't think this is amusing at all. Just think about the energy etc. your own distro has to put up to overcome yet another piece of negative publicity.

Heavy criticism on Canonical? Agreed. But Ubuntu users have made the same choice: linux / open source. No need to ridicule them as some kind of inferior linux users. Maybe my age but using open source software to me includes the duty to support, not to mock.

Well said. I remember when this sort of thing happened to openSUSE. It was around the time of 10.3 when they decided to switch package managers and go with zypper. Even the devs were saying not to use zypper but to use smart. Those of us who were there, remember that nightmare.

We all go through a rough patch. Why poke fun at someone because they hit theirs? openSUSE isn't perfect. No distro is. We are a community if Linux users, first and foremost. Distros are just the way they package things with the Linux kernel to make a complete and usable OS.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    Don't ask "if" something can be done, for it can always be done. Rather instead ask "How" can it be done.

Having used Ubuntu since 7.04 I have gradually seen it improve and lately seen the reverse. For me I can no longer use Ubuntu basically just because the issues that have caused me issues are not being resolved.
    This is why I have move to opensuse as the issues are just not present in this distro. So clearly distro related, so for me I'm not surprised at the issues users are reporting from the new release.

I had installed 9.10 on office PC(then back to openSUSE after two 2 days), and personally i would not blame Ubuntu devs for any problem. Come on, why always after Ubuntu. Is it because its Ubuntu OR ....., i am tired of reading all this. Things to watch/consider:
    - Is it open Source?
    - Is it free?
    - Is it based on Linux Kernel?
    - And last one is it flavor of Linux?

People paying a lot of money to those who said, its perfect for your PC, but what at the end... does those who paid for each software not facing any issues/problems.

Why we expecting too much from any thing, why we expecting perfect word from every thing. Those devs are also human, they can do mistakes or can't they?

So lets appreciate their time and hard work and support them to do better for us, not discourage them by that crappy type of articles over the internet.
    Yeh, we can't keep every one happy.

Its open world to all, use whatever better suits your need.
    Cheers.
    Linux[openSUSE, KDE], PHP, MySQL, Wordpress, Tech News, etc :
    http://anl4u.com

So what? Their bug#1 states they want to displace Microsoft Windows. To reach that goal, by simple math, you need more bugs. And that is what happened. All is on track, move along.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRegister article
    Typically, it's the more technical users overall who install Ubuntu - and early adopters tend to be the most technical of the technical. [...] more than a fifth of people upgrading to Ubuntu 9.10 have reported issues they can't fix.
    In other words, the technical people went elsewhere (were they ever there anyway?), letting the crowd hit the wall.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast