Not a good start for Ubuntu Karmic

Not a good start for Karmic. I hope openSUSE 11.2 does better.

I did it in a VM.
Flawless!

Karmic upgrade was fine here on my machines, no issues.
It worked better for me then Jaunty.

IIRC these guys used that sudo dist upgrade. That thing never worked for me! One thing Ubuntu & Opensuse for that matter has taught me,when upgrading your install do a clean install!

Did a fresh install on an old laptop that refused Jaunty (problem with Intel video). Everything went well and smoothly, and although I haven’t used it much yet as openSUSE is my main working distro, this is looking the best Ubuntu version by far since Hardy Heron.

Let’s just wait a few weeks and with high probability you will read pretty much the same article from some other “important” guy only the name of the distro will be another one.

Ever thought, that users without major problems don’t complain or write a lot of articles about the problems they don’t have?

Early adopters will always be the guinea pigs for the first real wide spread test, even if there was an extensive testing period (for *Buntu it isn’t that extensive due to the forced, very short cycle) and still I bet you > 80% of all “severe problems” are users errors.

Kubuntu Jaunty (real machine) was a perfect upgrade for me. Checked their forum and found a couple of early upgrade failures on Karmic so decided to wait a wee while. Your result is encouraging.

All I did was this in su term

update-manager -d

Kubuntu may be different in this area, but I don’t have Ubuntu to compare it against.

Kubuntu Jaunty uses KPackageKit (no Synaptic, guessing not KDE4 ready(?)) as gui for regular updates, but it doesn’t do kernel updates (yet). Those are done with apt-get dist upgrade. So, when I fired up KPackageKit it offered me a distro upgrade to Karmic, with the current Jaunty kernel update blocked. Hmm, this could cause confusion as before a distro uprade one is expected to apply all updates to the current version. Anyway, running apt-get dist upgrade only applied the current Jaunty kernel update, with no problems. It appears that in order to do the distro upgrade in the terminal, it requires apt-get full upgrade (IIRC from forum reading). I wonder what happens when “yes” is replied to the upgrade question from KPackageKit… …TBC after further forum monitoring.

Thank goodness for Yast, and zypper where the commands mean what they say. :slight_smile:

As some of you might already know, I am not an Ubuntu fan, however, and to be fair to them, the problem is not Ubuntu related. The X issue comes from an xorg-server update (version 1.7.1) and legacy nvidia (pre-190) and ati drivers. These propietary drivers have not been updated to work with the latest xorg-sever version. I have had the very same problem this weekend on Arch and had to downgrade xorg-server, xorg-server-utils and their dependencies to make my prehistoric FX5200 work in 3D again. Beware openSUSE users: if 11.2 comes with this very same xorg-server version and you plan to use propietary drivers for your nvidia/ati legacy GPUs, you’ll run into the very same trouble and will have to either downgrade xorg-sever or use the nv/nouveau drivers until nvidia fixes the drivers (if ever). I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for ati either. We are all Linux users and we use the same packages, so we are in the same boat.

As I was reading the article and the various posts in this thread, I was reminded of one thing. The importance of beta testing. See, now that Karmic is released, more people are downloading it and installing/upgrading to it.

This is why I fought so hard to have the sub-forum** Pre-Release/Beta**](http://forums-opensuse.provo.novell.com/pre-release-beta/)
See, that was my idea back before we merged. But it’s not enough for users to download alpha and beta versions and then complain about it in the forum. The idea was to troubleshoot. to do some debugging and file bug reports.

So while you all wonder if 11.2 is going to have this same issue, ask yourself this…have you participated in the alpha and beta testing? If the answer is NO, then you do have plenty to worry about. If the answer is YES, then very little to worry about.

You see, your involvement does matter. I don’t blame Canonical for this. I blame the community. Canonical can only do so much. They rely on the testers to file bug reports. The more testers, the more bug reports, and the more things get fixed. Kinda funny how that works. :wink:

I see a lot of users complaining, but not a lot of users doing something. We’re always going to have complainers and whiners. That’s just life. But those of us that can, should rise above and not complain but do. Together as a community, we can debug, we can solve things. We can even be ingenuitive, and come up with ideas and even make it work. We are a community, and when we function together toward a purpose, there is no stopping us.

So it’s up to you. Complain and whine, or get up and do something.
](http://forums-opensuse.provo.novell.com/pre-release-beta/)

> So it’s up to you. Complain and whine, or get up and do something.
> ‘’ (http://forums-opensuse.provo.novell.com/pre-release-beta/)

Well I’m running 11.2 RC2 at home with the legacy 173.X drivers that I
downloaded off nVidia’s site on Sunday and it works fine. Not seeing
any issues. Keep in mind I do not use desktop effects, but I did have them
on for awhile and I did not see any issues. It wasn’t snappy, but the card
is just a simple little PCI job (no, not PCIe, PCI).

What’s your xorg-server version?

I’ve been testing since M5 overall it has been problem free. The only real biggie to date has been when the Xorg1.7 no longer needed the xorg.conf & the devs removed sax for a bit. For me so far that’s been the biggest problem. Even then it has only been a problem on my PC that uses the openchrome driver,VIA chipsets do that. I needed sax2 for it. So overall it looks like OpenSuse 11.2
will be excellent.
However, there’s no accounting for the whiners.

Indeed, someone has to whine about something.
For me Karmic is fine peachy keen though I am gonna try out openSUSE 11.2

I’m almost tempted to try buntu but the whole drive is already reserved for the coming of openSUSE 11.2 goldmaster.:slight_smile:

Ah … that explains some things. Since this is an openSUSE forum, I won’t say too much. I did a fresh install of Karmic on a spare partition last night. It came up with the open source “nv” driver at 800x600. Nothing I tried would get native resolution or even 1024x768 - I had to install the proprietary NVidia driver to get 1152x864. I had similar things happen on openSUSE 11.2 back around milestone 4 or 5, but it’s been working fine with the “nv” driver since I started testing again at milestone 8.

I’ve been running both my desktop and laptop on openSUSE 11.2 since RC1 and everything works. I haven’t gone to the trouble of doing “hard way” installs of the NVidia driver (desktop) or ATI driver (laptop), mostly because I don’t currently do a lot of 3D stuff and I had some fairly severe (like re-install-worthy) issues with the ATI drivers on the laptop. I may risk the ATI on the laptop over the weekend, since it’s dual-booted Windows Vista. :wink:

Too much moaning about nothing IMO. For experimentations sake, I have tried most of the mainstream distros. They are all a little different but for me they all work just fine. True, you might have to configure some basics (and FYI, even the so called nvidia ‘hard way’, is not hard - seriously!). But compared to the likes of M$ installs - Linux is a doddle. Try installing Fedora 11 or 12, I did recently and honestly if I didn’t need multi-media I had nothing I needed to do.

A good point was made by Jonathan_R - The more we get involved and the more of us that do it at development stage the better. I’ve had very little to report in bugs for openSUSE 11.2, it’s mostly just worked for me.

> What’s your xorg-server version?

I’ll have to check.

So basically you are saying that there is no room for improvement, and anyone who suggests that improvement is needed must be a moaner and a whiner. Is that about right? :\