Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not a good start for Ubuntu Karmic

Default Not a good start for Ubuntu Karmic

Not a good start for Karmic. I hope openSUSE 11.2 does better.
    Last edited by suse_tpx60s; 02-Nov-2009 at 23:57. Reason: Fixed spelling.
    IBM Thinkpad X60s | Intel L2400 | Intel 945GM | 3GB | openSUSE Tumbleweed
    Dell XPS 13 9360 | openSUSE Leap 42.3

Ardrishaig, Argyll. Scotland UK - GMT/BST
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Not a good start for Ubuntu Karmin

I did it in a VM.
    Flawless!
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Default Re: Not a good start for Ubuntu Karmic

Karmic upgrade was fine here on my machines, no issues.
    It worked better for me then Jaunty.

IIRC these guys used that sudo dist upgrade. That thing never worked for me! One thing Ubuntu & Opensuse for that matter has taught me,when upgrading your install do a clean install!
    I'm just a curious cat
    My 64 bit: CPU AMD RYZEN 9 3900X 12 Core GPU MSI Radeon RX5600 XT
    MOTHERBOARD GIGABYTE B550 AORUS PRO AC
    Opensuse Tumbleweed Plasma 5

Did a fresh install on an old laptop that refused Jaunty (problem with Intel video). Everything went well and smoothly, and although I haven't used it much yet as openSUSE is my main working distro, this is looking the best Ubuntu version by far since Hardy Heron.
    Günter

Desk: Tumbleweed, KDE 5, AMD Ryzen 5 3400G, 16Gb, 120Gb SSD, 2 SATA.
    Lap: Thinkpad T430, Tumbleweed, Intel i5, 8Gb, SSD.

Let's just wait a few weeks and with high probability you will read pretty much the same article from some other "important" guy only the name of the distro will be another one.

Ever thought, that users without major problems don't complain or write a lot of articles about the problems they _don't_ have?

Early adopters will always be the guinea pigs for the first real wide spread test, even if there was an extensive testing period (for *Buntu it isn't that extensive due to the forced, very short cycle) and still I bet you > 80% of all "severe problems" are users errors.

Quote Originally Posted by TaraIkeda View Post
    Karmic upgrade was fine here on my machines, no issues.
    It worked better for me then Jaunty.
    Kubuntu Jaunty (real machine) was a perfect upgrade for me. Checked their forum and found a couple of early upgrade failures on Karmic so decided to wait a wee while. Your result is encouraging.

Ardrishaig, Argyll. Scotland UK - GMT/BST
    Blog Entries

All I did was this in su term

Code:
    update-manager -d
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Quote Originally Posted by Sagemta View Post
    IIRC these guys used that sudo dist upgrade. That thing never worked for me! One thing Ubuntu & Opensuse for that matter has taught me,when upgrading your install do a clean install!
    Kubuntu may be different in this area, but I don't have Ubuntu to compare it against.

Kubuntu Jaunty uses KPackageKit (no Synaptic, guessing not KDE4 ready(?)) as gui for regular updates, but it doesn't do kernel updates (yet). Those are done with apt-get dist upgrade. So, when I fired up KPackageKit it offered me a distro upgrade to Karmic, with the current Jaunty kernel update blocked. Hmm, this could cause confusion as before a distro uprade one is expected to apply all updates to the current version. Anyway, running apt-get dist upgrade only applied the current Jaunty kernel update, with no problems. It appears that in order to do the distro upgrade in the terminal, it requires apt-get full upgrade (IIRC from forum reading). I wonder what happens when "yes" is replied to the upgrade question from KPackageKit... ...TBC after further forum monitoring.

Thank goodness for Yast, and zypper where the commands mean what they say.

As some of you might already know, I am not an Ubuntu fan, however, and to be fair to them, the problem is not Ubuntu related. The X issue comes from an xorg-server update (version 1.7.1) and legacy nvidia (pre-190) and ati drivers. These propietary drivers have not been updated to work with the latest xorg-sever version. I have had the very same problem this weekend on Arch and had to downgrade xorg-server, xorg-server-utils and their dependencies to make my prehistoric FX5200 work in 3D again. Beware openSUSE users: if 11.2 comes with this very same xorg-server version and you plan to use propietary drivers for your nvidia/ati legacy GPUs, you'll run into the very same trouble and will have to either downgrade xorg-sever or use the nv/nouveau drivers until nvidia fixes the drivers (if ever). I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for ati either. We are all Linux users and we use the same packages, so we are in the same boat.
    "All truths wait in all things,
    They neither hasten their own delivery nor resist it" -- Walt Whitman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast