USB help required please

I am trying to create a USB installation of “openSUSE-11.1-GNOME-LiveCD-x86_64.iso” using winxp. I am having difficulty performing this task. I have read some tutorials but was could not get it start up.

So what is the correct method to completing this task?

Did you try unetbootin?

when I tryed useing my image the usb stick won’t work. when I try downloading through that mentioned program, the usb skick try to install rather than run, with no option beforehand.

Saying something ‘doesn’t work’ isn’t necessarily very helpful. In what way didn’t it work?

Maybe try this;

USB Live CD - openSUSE Forums

its such a shame opensuse is such a pain in the ass to get up and running, its really its largest flaw.

I have to agree that USB installs were often tricky with 11.1.

They’re not exactly the norm, so they’ve taken a while to catch up - but in 11.2 they work much better.

If you don’t have any luck with the suggestions above, maybe try 11.2 - it’s out very soon.

Hi
Not really once you have done it once :slight_smile: It’s all a learning
curve…
http://lizards.opensuse.org/2008/05/31/making-opensuse-110-liveusb-the-easiest-and-fastest-way/

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.37-0.1-default
up 16:07, 2 users, load average: 0.09, 0.11, 0.12
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 190.18

Yeah that the first one i tried.

I also wanted to try this from a live CD but I guess I don’t know where to enter the commands because when I try opening Run Command it won’t run any commands.

Hi
But your trying from a windows OS?

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.37-0.1-default
up 1 day 2:06, 2 users, load average: 0.09, 0.19, 0.18
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 190.18

Those would be run in a root terminal.

Open a terminal from the menu, then type ‘su -’ without the quotes. It will ask you for your password, then give you a root prompt. Be careful what you type!