Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The great boot race - Vista/Win7/Ubuntu (9.04/9.10)

Default The great boot race - Vista/Win7/Ubuntu (9.04/9.10)

Video of the 4 OS'es mentioned in the title alongside eachother (on identical hardware) to see how long it takes them to get to the point where Firefox is up and running: YouTube - The Great Boot Race

Original article can be found on tuxradar.

Shame openSUSE wasn't tested, but oh well.. it's all Linux in the end

Blog Entries

Default Re: The great boot race - Vista/Win7/Ubuntu (9.04/9.10)

Nice find, thanks for posting.
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Being from tuxradar, I suspect there is a slight bias. Still very telling, though.

Remember that Windows comes with many unneeded services enabled by default, whereas in Linux it's the user's choice to start these. They mention the same hardware configuration, but I wonder if they are truly "identical."

Blog Entries

It really matters little to me anyway, as I have a bios password and then a user login to navigate. I'm not sure many of use actually have our Box or Laptop so it will just boot to the Desktop
    Tumbleweed_KDE

I'm surprised at Ubuntu's boot speed: quite slow, in my opinion. (Not surprised at Windows boot speeds, Windows is just as bloated as ever!) Ubuntu 9.10, the 'fastest', took 40 seconds just to boot and start Firefox? Wow. Fedora 11, on my system, boots in less than 20 seconds. And I can begin working almost immediately as the desktop has loaded, hardly any lags at all.
    By the way, how fast does openSUSE 11.2 RC2 boot?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BrownieCat View Post
    I'm surprised at Ubuntu's boot speed: quite slow, in my opinion. (Not surprised at Windows boot speeds, Windows is just as bloated as ever!) Ubuntu 9.10, the 'fastest', took 40 seconds just to boot and start Firefox? Wow. Fedora 11, on my system, boots in less than 20 seconds. And I can begin working almost immediately as the desktop has loaded, hardly any lags at all.
    By the way, how fast does openSUSE 11.2 RC2 boot?
    I can confirm F11. It's really quick.
    SUSE 11.2 compares to F11 in boot time - at least for me it does.
    Tumbleweed_KDE

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    F11 with gnome or KDE? As i am still using M7, the boot time is not bad till login screen. Waiting for the final release of 11.2.
    Any news about F12, when its going to release, just heard some where, its in November like openSUSE11.2.
    Even i didn't tested fedora11, would like to give a try to F12 beside openSUSE to see how both distro works. For sure openSUSE would be there as a primary one.
    Linux[openSUSE, KDE], PHP, MySQL, Wordpress, Tech News, etc :
    http://anl4u.com

Blog Entries

F11. (gnome because it defaults to it) But use KDE4.3.2

F12. Out 17th Nov
    Tumbleweed_KDE

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    I don't know how outdated some reviews are on how slow openSUSE is in booting (probably they're for versions 10.2/10.3) SUSE 11.1 and 11.2 seem to have improved greatly. To Ubuntu: . I wonder why they tested Ubuntu with its slower boot speed as compared to other distros.
    Hmmm... Must be a shock for Windows users to see a distro booting up in less than 20 seconds. . A 40-second boot is not that impressive.
    "Darkness called But I was on the phone, so I missed him. I tried to *69 Darkness, but his machine picked up. I yelled "Pick up the phone, Darkness!," but he ignored me. Darkness must have been screening his calls."

Quote Originally Posted by mmarif4u View Post
    F11 with gnome or KDE? As i am still using M7, the boot time is not bad till login screen. Waiting for the final release of 11.2.
    Any news about F12, when its going to release, just heard some where, its in November like openSUSE11.2.
    Even i didn't tested fedora11, would like to give a try to F12 beside openSUSE to see how both distro works. For sure openSUSE would be there as a primary one.
    F11, to get to the login screen, takes approx. 20 seconds. But I've noticed that logging into the GNOME desktop is slightly faster than logging into KDE. But getting to the login screen always takes around 20 seconds, no more.
    "Darkness called But I was on the phone, so I missed him. I tried to *69 Darkness, but his machine picked up. I yelled "Pick up the phone, Darkness!," but he ignored me. Darkness must have been screening his calls."

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast