Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RC1 system broken after auto update of kernel

Default RC1 system broken after auto update of kernel

Hi,

The latest automatic updates (1-2 hours ago) required a reboot, so I did but now my system spits out the following on boot:

FATAL: Module ip_tables not found
    iptables v1.4.2-rc1: can't initialize iptables table 'filter': iptables who? (do you need to insmod?)
    Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded

I guessed something went wrong during the update and started "Repair Installed System" from the DVD. The "show details" log from "Verify Installed Software" is just not readable. The second column is filled with
    ......G.
    .....U..
    or similar lines.

But, fair enough, problems were shown to exist in cups, hal, ntp, postfix and the kernel. Selecting all options and repairing somehow did not help. So, I went back and saw the exact same problematic packages reported.

Selecting one package to repair at a time does not work, except for the kernel: after it is repaired, it does not show up in the list again. At least, not immediately. It does, however, show again after a reboot. The four other packages apparently can not get repaired. Whatever I try, they keep being reported as having problems.

After pressing "Finish" I am thrown back at a ncurses (if I remember the name correctly) interface. Doesn't look very nice but I guess it is still needed as a fall back to the (very nice looking!) new installer.

However, the original problem as stated at the top persists, mouse does not work, no internet connection from console.

Default Re: RC1 system broken after auto update of kernel

Oh, I should probably mention this is on x86-64. (I can't figure out how to edit my own post).

Quote Originally Posted by mineral2511 View Post
    Oh, I should probably mention this is on x86-64. (I can't figure out how to edit my own post).
    Hi & welcome!

The edit feature is only available the first ten minutes after your initial post or reply. This has a couple of reasons, one of these is also the keep clean house for NNTP users, another is so that posts don't get edited or deleted after they've been set (causing a illogical thread history)..

You could be a 'victim' of grabbing a download while the factory/repo was not correctly synced or the package was faulty.. I'll give the update a try tonight when I get home.

When doing a kernel update it can be wise to install the new kernel next to the existing one... that way you can easily fall back to the working kernel if the new one mucks up.
    Snakedriver has posted some good posts on how to do this using the rpm command.

Do you have the possibility of booting into 11.1 and using the console version of yast (ncurses) to restore the older kernel version?

-Wj
    Have a lot of fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Magic31 View Post
    Hi & welcome!
    Thanks!

The edit feature is only available the first ten minutes after your initial post or reply. This has a couple of reasons, one of these is also the keep clean house for NNTP users, another is so that posts don't get edited or deleted after they've been set (causing a illogical thread history)..
    Makes sense, could not find this in the Forum FAQ.

You could be a 'victim' of grabbing a download while the factory/repo was not correctly synced or the package was faulty.. I'll give the update a try tonight when I get home.

When doing a kernel update it can be wise to install the new kernel next to the existing one... that way you can easily fall back to the working kernel if the new one mucks up.
    Snakedriver has posted some good posts on how to do this using the rpm command.
    I searched for the posts by Snakedriver but could not find it within half an hour and gave up. Besides, I would have hoped this type of magic (no pun intended) would not be necessary for an RC1

Do you have the possibility of booting into 11.1 and using the console version of yast (ncurses) to restore the older kernel version?
    I am sure that is some standard procedure for all those testing the distro on a regular basis. However, I just arrived for RC1 and am generally not a fan of wading through manpages.

Your hint about two different kernels did point me to booting into the xen-kernel. I ran a manual online update from there. That immediately resulted to boot the non-xen kernel. Nice, the main issue is now solved, thanks!

The update applet insists I install a kernel update. However, this seems to loop forever. After a reboot, I am always asked to install a kernel update:

Name: kernel-debug
    Summary: kernel update (test - no change)
    Type: security
    New Version: 354

The update applet fails for some reason and points me to yast to install the update manually. That does not change anything though. So, I stopped the update applet, and used yast "Online update". No help. It appears to me that the nice graphical tools may still have some issues.

I searched for the posts by Snakedriver but could not find it within half an hour and gave up. Besides, I would have hoped this type of magic (no pun intended) would not be necessary for an RC1
    You're allowed to pun It's an old nickname I used to have, not related to me but because I was always talking about how magical computers are.. the wonders bits bring and all that.

Sorry for not linking to the post.. I didn't realise how far back the post went.. it's in the archives.

Links in the post are old and/or broken.. but in essence use rpm to install (not upgrade) your new kernel. This should keep the current kernel in place.
    Then you can add the correct boot parameters to /boot/grub/menu.1st (or use YaST > Boot Loader)

The archive post:
    Updated Last Night- Kernel Bug Now. - openSUSE Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Snakedriver
    Here is a technique I recommend when trying new kernels (along the line elsewhere stated above)

Pay attention to install (-ihv) vs update (-Uhv); vmlinuz & initrd vs vmlinuz.previous & initrd.previous and how to edit menu.lst; will work with KOTD, Jengelh's, update & other kernels.
    You may be able to recover, look in /boot/grub/menu.lst (as root with an editor)

You may want to scan http://lists.opensuse.org/archive/op...-bugs/2008-05/ for kernel bugs on the day you notice the update available. Then, decide how you are going to try the new kernel.

Think Alpha = lots of problems, Beta = lots of bug fixes coming, some may not work 1st time, GM = still some fixes (10.1 had a remaster released), SLED = stable (but where's the fun in that ).

edit: BTW, when I go messing with new/experimental kernels, I always make a backup of the working /boot/grub/menu.lst 1st. using an editor (so I will have a text version to go back & look at if needed).
    As they are currently squashing the biggest bugs they can before official release, it is possible you'll break things when applying in-between updates. So I can only say - update with caution.

It should be getting better as we get closer to the 18th...

Good going for getting it fixed like that!

Cheers,
    Wj
    Have a lot of fun!

I have almost no confidence in the various updater applets, no matter which Linux distro. Various problems involving things like not complete administrator rights, access to all the repos you have defined, not being able to see all the details of what is updated, etc bring me to believe that the whole process cannot be trusted. Any one of various errors can occur.

With OpenSUSE I always go into YaST and run Online Update. For each of the updates (patches) listed on the left pane, I click on them and then on the right I right click them and choose All in this list-Update to a newer version if available. Following that (and a reboot if it's the Kernel) I usually go into Package Management and change the search dropdown to package groups, scroll down to All Packages (used to be zzz_all), click it, then on the right I again right click one and choose that All in this list thing. So, first the Online update, then the full update, then after a reboot things are usually fine and dandy.

I just did that Kernel update on my VirtualBox install of RC1 last night and it went fine (using the method I described). However, and this is an old qualm I've had with the way OpenSUSE does its updates, I don't like that the Kernel upgrade was released before the Kernel-Source updates were also made available on the updates repo. So my machine has the newer kernel but the older kernel-source and kernel-syms.

Somehow my VirtualBox Additions (the video, mouse, shared folder stuff) still appeared to be running fine even though they were built with the older kernel-source files. A guess that this is due to the way OpenSUSE triggers installed kernel-modules to be rebuilt on restart after its Kernel updates, but since this is a VirtualBox full version and not the virtualbox-ose I have no idea why it still works.

Maybe the way OpenSUSE's Kernel Development Pattern includes the virtualbox-ose kmp and tools packages, I am really getting a hodge-podge mixture of the tools I installed and the OSE version installed by YaST. The USB printer I have still works so I haven't a clue really what is going on. USB isn't supposed to work with the OSE packages. I remember once trying to uninstall the virtualbox-ose stuff on OpenSUSE 11.0 and then not having my personally installed virtualbox tools able to work at all.

Anyway, I think the kernel-default update works fine using YaST Online Update but is (as usual) problem inducing if letting the system tray updater applets handle things.
    Epox EP-8KRAIPRO AthlonXP3200+ GeForce 6600GT 2GB PC3200 DDR-SDRAM Audigy 2 ZS

I fear the main problem is that there is a version mismatch between the kernel packages and the kernel source package since about two weeks. So everyone who uses e.g. self compiled NVIDIA or Virtualbox software will run into trouble. So one has to check first the kernel version before updating automatically.

Quote Originally Posted by dahveed3 View Post
    I have almost no confidence in the various updater applets, no matter which Linux distro. Various problems involving things like not complete administrator rights, access to all the repos you have defined, not being able to see all the details of what is updated, etc bring me to believe that the whole process cannot be trusted. Any one of various errors can occur.
    Browsing the lists/forums here I get the impression many devs and testers do not use the applet or yast GUI but prefer 'zypper'. Understandable as that may be (GUIs are much slower once you know your command-line foo) I guess this means the GUI gets far less testing.

With OpenSUSE I always go into YaST and run Online Update. For each of the updates (patches) listed on the left pane, I click on them and then on the right I right click them and choose All in this list-Update to a newer version if available. Following that (and a reboot if it's the Kernel) I usually go into Package Management and change the search dropdown to package groups, scroll down to All Packages (used to be zzz_all), click it, then on the right I again right click one and choose that All in this list thing. So, first the Online update, then the full update, then after a reboot things are usually fine and dandy.
    Wow, this "All Packages" sure takes its time. A full minute (on a Q9550, no less). At first I thought it was freezing. Some kind of progress bar would be nice here.

Unfortunately, that also does not help. Still stuck with this kernel-debug "security" update (that isn't updating anything). I guess I'll try to use zypper now like the rest of you.

Wow, this "All Packages" sure takes its time. A full minute (on a Q9550, no less). At first I thought it was freezing. Some kind of progress bar would be nice here
    Yeah.. another bug they are working on...

You could try reinstalling the kernel packages.

Could you try one thing? Open a terminal console:
    Code:
    su -     #and enter root pw
    zypper ref -f    #this re-refreshes the repository databases
    zypper up      #any updates being listed here?
    If the updater applet keeps nagging about an already installed update.. you could try reinstalling the package(s) using YaST > Software Management
    Have a lot of fun!

Code:
    su -     #and enter root pw
    zypper ref -f    #this re-refreshes the repository databases
    zypper up      #any updates being listed here?
    Results in
    Code:
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...
    Nothing to do.
    If the updater applet keeps nagging about an already installed update.. you could try reinstalling the package(s) using YaST > Software Management
    I have kernel-default installed, the update nags about an update in kernel-debug, which I do not have installed. Installing kernel-debug seems to work fine, it is added to the grub menu shown in yast. However, a reboot results in a rather grim picture:
    Code:
    Booting from local disk...
    Error No operating system
    So, I entered "System Repair" from the DVD and fixed the boot loader from there, using the "Expert Tools" (not the Custom Repair, which for some reason forces a full fsck on me all the time, which after ages tells me all is well. Right, I know that after 3 times, thank you. Could you just accept an unchecking of the fsck phase please? Oh well, I've just been promoted to expert I guess)

Wrong, no boot. So, I'll sit through the fsck again to see what that brings.
    AsusP5Q-E IntelQ9550 4x2GB PC6400 SDRAM ATI Radeon 3650 512MB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast