Thread: RC2 KDE4 Kaffeine problems

Default RC2 KDE4 Kaffeine problems

I changed to the packman version of libxine1.

That made Amarok play mp3 files (which it didn't by default), but now Kaffeine has spat the dummy!

It never shows up, just uses 50% CPU in the background.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    HP dv6645, Nvidia 8400m-gs, KDE 4.

Default Re: RC2 KDE4 Kaffeine problems

Have you tried running it from the command line. You might catch some errors that you may not see otherwise.

what actually happens when you try and use kaffeine?

When I run it from konsole it gives no output at all, it simply returns the normal prompt after about 10 seconds and is in the background using over 50% of the CPU with no window or anything visible .

Exactly the same when I run it from the main menu, or click on a movie file to open it.

I gave up on it and switched to using smplayer instead.

thiagobrandam NNTP User

I'm bumping this thread because it's happening with me too.After 2 days of absolute normal usage of Kaffeine, it just won't work anymore, either from the application launcher or command line, although the process keeps running in the background taking up to 50% of CPU usage and using 1.7GB out of 1.9GB of ram. I think it maybe some sort of update inconsistency but not sure. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

This was a problem in RC2, now that 11.2 has been released you might not get any help in here.

Have you installed RC2 or the actual 11.2 release? You might find that the problem was fixed already.

I'm still running the RC2 (Release Candidate) but switched to smplayer instead of using Kaffeine, which fixed the problem for me .

I think it was a problem with the packman repo not being ready, if you are running rc2, maybe change your packman repo to the official one in "add community repositories" and remove the pre-release one.

You might have to un-install and re-install kaffeine though.

thiagobrandam NNTP User

Hi growbag, I should have told that I'm using opensuse 11.2 (official, no release candidate). The weirdest thing is that kaffeine (for kde4) worked during 2 days of installation but now it won't launch anymore. It keeps behaving just the way you described. I tried several things (changing repositories, versions, etc) but none of it worked. Kaffeine keeps consuming too much memory now and I guess it's some update that screwed up a library or something. I gave up for now, I'll try to talk to Kaffeine guys regarding this. For now I'm sticking to the old Kaffeine version (using qt3 and stuff) because I simply love this software. Thanks for your help anyway.