Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Maybe openSUSE needs something like Ubuntu's app center

Default Maybe openSUSE needs something like Ubuntu's app center

One of the features of the new Ubuntu Karmic that I can see that could make it super easy for new users to install programs/application is its software center.
    Its software center is mostly a type free interface, its very easy to navigate without even having to use the keyboard (other then to type in the password)
    Now I know openSUSE has its one click installer but you do need to give the search engine the app you want to access the one click installer.
    Now its a little late to make a application like Ubuntu's app center right now in time for 11.2 , but maybe there could be some edits to the package download pages to make it easier to navigate to the programs/apps people need and make something like this for 11.3

Default Re: Maybe openSUSE needs something like Ubuntu's app center

Either that, or maybe TaraIkeda should learn how to use YaST?

Screenshot of the "totally new and great app center" in Ubuntu:

http://www.phoronix.net/image.php?id...ubuntu_store_1

YaST => Software => Software Management => Filter "Package Groups"

Striking similarity, isn't it?

This has been there since 10.3 or even earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Akoellh View Post
    Cruel, but so funny.

YaST is but one part of openSUSE, but it's *the* user-facing part for system configuration, so how someone can be unaware of what is in effect openSUSE's "personality" astounds me.

You see, what is especially funny for me is the fact, that some other distros (read "their users") very often make fun of openSUSE and YaST.

But when you actually look, what these distros do to provide some nice GUI for $ADMINISTRATIVE_PURPOSE you will find, that they either use the same idea of a central instance with a lot of modules (Mandriva with their "drakconfig", if that name is still accurate) or they provide a lot of single applications each for one of the jobs being done by one of the modules in YaST.

But I am really happy, that Ubuntu also has "invented" this feature now, just like when they developed AppArmor so openSUSE could port it to their distro ..... *erm* .. wait a minute .....

P.S.

Is there _any_ other distro, which provides something similar to SCPM nowadays? For me one of _the_ killer features of openSUSE.

Maybe a hint for Ubuntu et. al., if they don't have an idea what to "invent" next.

palladium NNTP User

TaraIkeda wrote:
    > ... software center

openSUSE's "software center" is named YaST, give it a whirl...it is
    pretty cool and is in 11.2 (and 9.x)..

--
    palladium
    Have a lot of fun..

> YaST is but one part of openSUSE, but it's *the* user-facing part for
    > system configuration, so how someone can be unaware of what is in effect
    > openSUSE's "personality" astounds me.

Because the UI's on other distros are so hobbled that they end up mucking
    around in config files in a shell so, coming to SuSE they have instant knee
    jerk reactions to find the equivalent command lines and files instead of
    discovering that yes, SuSE does have functional GUI apps.

Quote Originally Posted by Akoellh View Post

Screenshot of the "totally new and great app center" in Ubuntu:

http://www.phoronix.net/image.php?id...ubuntu_store_1

YaST => Software => Software Management => Filter "Package Groups"

Striking similarity, isn't it?

This has been there since 10.3 or even earlier.
    No the functionality is actually completely different in Ubuntu's app center and yes I have toyed around with YAST.
    The app center gives the new user some aid on installing applications, giving the user icons for each application and each category plus detailed information of that app.
    Plus app center only gives a list of basic packages one might need, as opposed to YAST that shows off everything.
    Something like a "Yast basic" for beginners would be helpful, something that provides icons, screenshots, that sort of thing.
    I know its so easy for you guys to write this off as "hey its a Ubuntu project", and then say "we have YAST"
    But maybe Yast gives the new user one too many applications to choose from, the app center on Ubuntu gives the new user only a basic amount of GUI packages and does not show CLI apps, YAST does not filter out CLI apps.
    Look I am not saying app center is "ground breaking" I have seen simular tools in the past.
    But it does offer a very simplistic application installer that filters out non GUI apps, could be useful to new users.

I think YaST "Package Groups" as well as "Pattern" show a nice grouping of the huge amount of software. And all the short descriptions are there also (though some packagers might improve there *) ).

Personaly I need information, not icons.

*)
    I once read as description that "This package was a much improved replacement for package Y". Full Stop. The other package Y could nowhere be found because it was dumped years ago.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    I think YaST "Package Groups" as well as "Pattern" show a nice grouping of the huge amount of software. And all the short descriptions are there also (though some packagers might improve there *) ).

Personaly I need information, not icons.

*)
    I once read as description that "This package was a much improved replacement for package Y". Full Stop. The other package Y could nowhere be found because it was dumped years ago.
    For new users Icons would be nice though, and yes know Yast provides information but not screenshots (at least the one in 11.1, I am unsure if screenshot previews will make it into 11.2)
    But if Yast itself cannot be modified maybe we could tweak the openSUSE main package download page so that it lists the most popular applications and categorizes them, sort of like GetDeb.
    Software Categories

when browsing through getdeb you get screenshots too:
    Packages on category Graphics & Design

When going a search through software.opensuse.org you get a description, the installer and the one click install but no visual reference to the package you are interested in.
    I think it would be a good idea to suggest package previews for new users.

Or in a nutshell:

You think that most new users are morons (maybe I could agree on that *g*) and should also be treated as such in restricting their possibilities to choose?
    If so, I can only hope, YaST will never be "improved" in that way.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast