Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Next upgrade

Default Next upgrade

I started with Suse 11.1. So I have not experienced a Suse upgrade. When is the next up
    grade and how is it done?

Default Re: Next upgrade

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

Probably two weeks to public:

http://en.opensuse.org/Roadmap/11.2

Good luck.

rosswmcgee wrote:
    > I started with Suse 11.1. So I have not experienced a Suse upgrade. When
    > is the next up
    > grade and how is it done?
    >
    >

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v2.0.9 (GNU/Linux)
    Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iQIcBAEBAgAGBQJK6hEcAAoJEF+XTK08PnB59f0P/1rmN1hFEk8xtrgx2zIPy0zy
    QeCdGQCUozGqT9x4oyMU7sdg25pkKB1m9YK55FoWCpFhqT/SwdiN93O8zZG4/7jc
    R7oMm/2Iq5o4YyezOcdqBKdtRkOFTh0vNHDXbpZy8BPyLBDYScZBw9bv6u5lnL4u
    FvD8gk2QldLP0bcGOSdy88UDl/+ZZw+5BP4ef8r+cEbyPYfz8c8p/MvoTOCvXJo6
    PICqW10GfiFDBWHmoWzPTouOvdskQkKzazMVIl4MhLgtMOA4AA4G++gL77kVx028
    keQGouXixVkWWLy8zhJPlKf2FKFdTJndp9sP7WpJnETmVsQWEfJcHunNF+Jl2yDP
    nPs+fTPYrj1adL88kGmxa/583ScWDSb/KzxVrPfiB7SPcTs1okWFNVlCTQ7efsvX
    ISlaZNuW01kn6yx4gOAv9mW1zoxwBApkCgGaU6aP/D9fVdD1WIZiqF+myfJjDYj/
    TA0GqkH+mZbF2gmHEY0cq23tv0TsRzmBO9dtXWMrJpz8YfzS7pnio0uBZxbucmNq
    PkmQWonJ3vcXcv6il4ks7ltIhYmg/TwaE5YJWa+qLuFxQ6d1cTtaWux6hpnRZU+9
    V0Bjy020OytI7N2q/6Q5hX/5O+62ITa1fJMQqVCbURiA/66yK/zib1i/LURd36vn
    p2Y2pxd2hSl1DMUnB8Os
    =Jx5f
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Blog Entries

There are various ways to upgrade. In my case I have a separate / and /home partition. I always do a "CLEAN" install reformatting / (in the case of 11.1 to 11.2 going from ext3 to ext4) and I typically keep /home (and do not reformat my old /home but instead ensure it is mounted). It means I have to pay close attention in the installation partitioner proposal to ensure it does exactly what I want, and if it does not I edit the settings.

Before I update, I follow the guidance here: NEW Users - Suse-11.1 Pre-installation – PLEASE READ - openSUSE Forums

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    Cautions to take when migrating from an old openSUSE Linux to a new

For new Linux users, who are migrating from an older openSUSE, to openSUSE-11.1, here is some advice from the SuSE-10.2 reference manual, which is a useful reference for users who are updating (or re-installing) their SuSE for the first time:
    ========================

5.1 Updating the System

5.1.1 Preparations

Before updating, copy the old configuration files to a separate medium, such as streamer, removable hard disk, USB stick, or ZIP drive, to secure the data. This primarily applies to files stored in /etc as well as some of the directories and files in /var and /opt. You may also want to write the user data in /home (the HOME directories) to backup medium. Back up this data as root. Only root has read permission for all local files.

Before starting your update, make note of the root partition. The command df / lists the device name of the root permission. There is also df -h.

==================
    For example, I typically make copies of my /etc/fstab, /etc/X11/xorg.conf, /etc/cups, /etc/modprobe.d/sound, /boot/grub/menu.lst.

And I typically keep a copy of the output of:
    df -Th
    cat /etc/fstab
    su -c 'fdisk -l'
    #enter root password when prompted
    ... of course with a clean install this means I need to re-install my various Packman packaged applications, codecs, etc ... but I've done this so often the past number of years it is second nature and very fast. Within 2 to 3 hours I typically have a CLEAN install setup the way I want. It will likely take new users longer.

Thanks for the info. It does seem to be a bit harder

than say an Ubuntu upgrade, though I hope I am wrong
    as I am very happy with 11.1

Blog Entries

You don't have to Upgrade. Though in the case of 11.1 I would say most users will, especially kde users.
    In 11.2 there should be little need to add to and customise from the default install, making it a good prospect for a lifetime use.
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

I am using 11.1 Gnome. Any change in thoughts?

Blog Entries

You could stick with 11.1 until end of life which is around end 2010
    SUSE Linux Lifetime - openSUSE
    Leap 15.1_KDE

Trying to make it simple to add to oldcpu's suggestion.
    Do the backup as stated. You have to have a copy of your existing partitions (/etc/fstab) printed to know where they are located/mounted/used. Have a copy of /boot/grub/menu.lst printed for comparison.

During installation in the partition part suse will automatically look and offer where it is going to install. Read it carefully and compare it to your printed copy. If you see that it is not what you want click the modify option and do the editing. Example, it wants to create a new partition for /home and root, delete it. Then look for your existing / partition edit it to be reformatted and set the mount point to /. Look for your existing /home partition and choose to not reformat and set the mount point to /home. Retain the existing swap partition. If you have a separate /boot partition reformat it and set the mount point to /boot.

This procedure will ensure you that the partitioning scheme in your drive will remain intact and if you examine the boot loader and compare it to your existing /boot/grub/menu.lst it will be similar only that it will have a different kernel version.

Note that the only partition to be formatted is the / partition and /boot.
    /home should not be formatted. Additionally keep your current user name to be the name of your user in the installation to not mess-up with your existing /home that will remain unformatted.

Hope my grammar is right please do edit if my english is bad.
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything

My grandpa was German and always worried about his grammar, which was just fine, as yours is. From the look of it perhaps a clean install might be best after
    all. I did get plenty of good support as a new Suse user, though it took a lot of work. I guess there is no hurry. When winter sets in it might be time for such a project. Thank you very much.

Blog Entries

I have already updated to 11.2 - now at RC2
    I backed up all my personal stuff
    I formatted all my Partitions. Mostly this was to set them all to ext4 and have a squeaky clean system. Normally I would keep /home during a New Install
    Leap 15.1_KDE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast