Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Future Releases of KNetworkManager...

Cool Future Releases of KNetworkManager...

Heyho, this is a small Thread regarding NetworkManager.
    Basically my question is, will 11.2 include a NetworkManager working *without* kwallet? Does it look a little like Sci Fi?

On KDEdevelopers.org Ive seen a future mockup quite a time ago... (please also refer to the original thread):

Im sure many of you would love to use a NetworkManager looking as spiffy as this one in OpenSuse.
    CHECK OUT THESE GitHub PROJECTS!

https://secupwn.github.io/Android-IMSI-Catcher-Detector/
    https://github.com/SecUpwN/Spotify-AdKiller

Default Re: Future Releases of KNetworkManager...

The terms Looking Spiffy and Linux Desktop go together like chalk and cheese unfortunately .

We seem to be plagued by the "if it doesn't look like it came from the stoneage, it's just not Linux" type still!

I must say KDE4 is a real break from that miserable tradition, although even that could be a whole lot nicer.

Linux is kind of like the Amish of the computer world!

I'm going to commit absolute blasphemy here and announce that I really like the Windows Vista desktop!

I can see the Beardos starting to turn red and steam come out of their ears already lol, but from a purely aesthetic point of view (that means looks), in my opinion Vista wins hands down over all other desktops I've seen so far.

I even tried Windows 7 last week for giggles, and it looks so much like KDE3 it's not funny! (ie stoneage!)

Also the sounds in Windows 7 are really nice too, they are so good that I copied them onto my openSUSE desktop and use them .

I mean just listen to the difference in quality of both offerings:

Windows7 - soft, smooth, pleasing, not too loud, not too kitchy, not too long, not too short, pleasing and quite professional.

KDE4 - rough, loud, abrupt, stupid, annoying, too long (startup and shutdown), boring! They sound like someone's 5 year old plink-plonking on an old Piano .

But I do appreciate the efforts of the KDE4 team, they have done a great job.

I really would love to see more artistically talented people working on spicing the Linux desktop up, and I think they are already there, it's just that the stoneage mob like to ignore them.

I have a good friend who is a complete Linux nutter, he compiles his entire system from source (including the bloody compiler!!), and uses GTK and the old Enlightenment6 desktop.

The bloke is an absolute Linux genius, but his desktop looks like a really bad eighties sci-fi movie!
    HP dv6645, Nvidia 8400m-gs, KDE 4.

I agree, up to a point. The visual design of Vista is good, at least as far as the Aero windowws decorations are concerned. Other bits are quite tacky (the Start menu, for example). But Linux (Gnome or KDE) offers greater consistency of design with a bit of work, and the good things in Vista can easily be emulated (more or less).
    But Vista is slooowww to boot after a few month's use, like any Windows system (even XP, and I bet 7 will turn out like that). The basic architecture and software ecosystem are so inferior to Linux it's unbelievable. The Vista eye-candy, good as it is, is really only lipstick on a pig.
    Günter

Desk: Tumbleweed, KDE 5, AMD Ryzen 5 3400G, 16Gb, 120Gb SSD, 2 SATA.
    Lap: Thinkpad T430, Tumbleweed, Intel i5, 8Gb, SSD.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMask View Post
    Heyho, this is a small Thread regarding NetworkManager.
    Basically my question is, will 11.2 include a NetworkManager working *without* kwallet?
    You can currently use the NetworkManager without kwallet.

Just click Manage Connections, then click into the Other category. Choose the Connection Secrets tab and choose In File (unencrypted).

The downside is that the file isn't encrypted.

Take Care,

Ian
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

Quote Originally Posted by growbag
    KDE4 - rough, loud, abrupt, stupid, annoying, too long (startup and shutdown), boring! They sound like someone's 5 year old plink-plonking on an old Piano .
    This made me laugh so hard! Whohahaha... hilarious!
    And yes, you are right - up to a point. KDE4 certainly does not look like stonage at all, and I really love the design. Used together with the Crystal icon theme (why in the world is that theme not implemented as standard, guys?), and whoa... even look at the taskbar in Oxygen design that comes with OpenSuse - IT ABSOLUTELY ROCKS! (no doubt about it).

Sounds? Yep, all in for improvement. In this very moment Im still using 11.1 and Im impatiently looking forward to switch completely to 11.2 final in a few days. But you know, the standard sound that came with 11.1 was so annoying after several months that I simply deleted it. Better no sound than beginning to hate to boot up OpenSuse. Thats not worth it at all - because I love it with all my heart. KNetworkManager should be graphically improved; Im quite satisfied how it works right now in 11.1.

For a future OpenSuse release, I wish a KNetworkManager to be included that looks and feels a little more...stylish.

Quote Originally Posted by growbag View Post
    I really would love to see more artistically talented people working on spicing the Linux desktop up, and I think they are already there, it's just that the stoneage mob like to ignore them.
    Bit of proof-reading wouldn't go amiss either. Network strenght. Amaterus.

Quote Originally Posted by gminnerup View Post
    ...But Vista is slooowww to boot after a few month's use, like any Windows system (even XP, and I bet 7 will turn out like that)...
    I'm not the first person to point out that only MS could make a *games console* that slows down the longer you use it. I've heard X-boxes have return rates around 40%. They're just *a bit special.*

Quote Originally Posted by Confuseling View Post
    I'm not the first person to point out that only MS could make a *games console* that slows down the longer you use it. I've heard X-boxes have return rates around 40%.
    HEY... we are talking about OpenSuse here.
    Ive been on IRC to catch some glimpse if the kdeves are still working on NetworkManagers graphical improvements, but no statement had been released.
    Still Id like to know if work on KNetworkManager goes towards a graphical interface close to the mokup above. Its been ages ago since I found their last comment about KNetworkManager...

Quote Originally Posted by ijbreakey View Post
    You can currently use the NetworkManager without kwallet.

Just click Manage Connections, then click into the Other category. Choose the Connection Secrets tab and choose In File (unencrypted).

The downside is that the file isn't encrypted.

Take Care,

Ian
    Tried that - didn't work. The whole networkmanager thing has got very old, we're up to a .3 release and it is still the most frustrating thing on the system. WICD works great but looks rubbish. The really frustrating thing is that I tried the release candidate live DVD on my wife's Thinkpad, and networkmanager worked perfectly - without Kwallet.
    It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong.

I was also surprised to find that Network Manager still requires kwallet. I tried it without, but to no avail. I had wanted my system to boot up without any passwords (i.e. straight into the desktop), but I still need to enter one for kwallet. This is a minor annoyance, but it's an annoyance nonetheless.

Other than that, 11.2 RC2 is working fantastically well for me.

Well I've disabled the Kwallet and the sky hasn't fallen in yet. Wireless still works (using RC2).
    Günter

Desk: Tumbleweed, KDE 5, AMD Ryzen 5 3400G, 16Gb, 120Gb SSD, 2 SATA.
    Lap: Thinkpad T430, Tumbleweed, Intel i5, 8Gb, SSD.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast