Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PDA with Windows Mobile 6.0 and Suse 11.1 with Gnome

Default PDA with Windows Mobile 6.0 and Suse 11.1 with Gnome

Hi,
    I spent more than a week trying to understand how to synchronize my PDA (Windows Mobile 6.0) with Suse 11.1 and no result.

So far I learned what is PalmOS and what is not (I've been trying J-pilot and Gnome Pilot)

I've tried with USB-cable and Bluetooth.

What I have so far:
    - SynCE (installed via YaST, with some other components)
    - Blueman just in case.

Was by default in my SUSE 11.1
    - Evolution
    - working bluetooth (Gnome Aplet + OBEX)
    - Multisync (it does see the SynCE, doesn't see the Evolution)

So how to synchronize is one case, but first of all I need to know: how connect my PDA that SUSE will see a device for synchronization? I've tried Bluetooth and I can only get a paired OBEX PDA. I can send files. that's all.

I would like to ask You for help. How to do it, step by step. We can start from scratch.

During debug we can use text-terminal mode. But after is finished I would like to have a GUI terminal.

I can promise, that if we manage to set-it up. I can describe it as a WIKI for other. Step-by-step.

Thanks

Default Re: PDA with Windows Mobile 6.0 and Suse 11.1 with Gnome

I've tried and also not succeeded, and come to the conclusion that it's just not possible. So if anyone's figured it out I'd like to know too (haven't even succeeded in using ActiveSync through Virtualbox).
    In the end, I settled for Funambol to sync via the Web which works quite well (I'm syncing with Outlook running in Virtualbox). Remember the Milk is something else I've tried since switching to KDE4 because of the RTM plasmoid, but that's broken...
    Günter

Desk: Tumbleweed, KDE 5, AMD Ryzen 5 3400G, 16Gb, 120Gb SSD, 2 SATA.
    Lap: Thinkpad T430, Tumbleweed, Intel i5, 8Gb, SSD.

Look at this web page: link.

This guy had no special problems under Ubuntu. So it must be possible. We are missing some proper configuration or maybe extra software that is available in Ubuntu.

So I still believe is possible.

Mandriva used to boast "seamless" WM PDA sync, even published a video about it. If it is possible, someone ought to write a How-to.
    Günter

Had a look at your link. "No special problems" is a bit of an understatement:
    The biggest problem I encountered was configuring multisync properly. You see, you can only sync those items that are in identically-named categories. In other words, if you want to sync contacts that are in the "business" category on your phone with Evolution, you've got to have a category called "business" in Evolution.

[Edit: I have since discovered another annoyance: it appears that you can only sync one category of stuff at a time. In other words, if I want to sync all my contacts I have to go into options tell it to sync everything in my "personal" category, sync, and then go back into options and tell it to sync everything in my "business" category, etc.]

I'm not saying that it couldn't be easier. It definitely could. As a general matter, PalmOS devices seem to be supported better in Ubuntu than Windows Mobile devices.
    And, of course, whatever success he's achieved was with Evolution in Gnome, which leaves the question of what to do in a KDE environment...
    Günter

palladium NNTP User

> And, of course, whatever success he's achieved was with Evolution in
    > Gnome, which leaves the question of what to do in a KDE environment...

won't evolution run in KDE (if the Gnome basics are installed)??

--
    palladium
    Have a lot of fun..

Sure does, I use it on my machine at work (for email, and only for research purposes - the original motivation was its Exchange compatibility but Thunderbird can do the same). But I just can't stand it, at least not in IMAP, it's slower than treacle, you can't reorder the folders, etc etc. I might put up with all that if I could sync all my PDA data with its calendar but I can't. So it's Thunderbird for me as far as email is concerned (a Ferrari compared to Evolution's Lada), and I just don't use any apps for calendar, tasks, and contacts on my OSS desktop because I can't sync them with my PDA...
    Günter

palladium NNTP User

gminnerup wrote:
    > I might put up with all that if I could sync all my PDA data with
    > its calendar but I can't.

wait! are you saying that it *is* possible for Evolution running on
    Ubuntu can sync with M$ WinMob6 but it is not possible for Evolution
    running on openSUSE and KDE??

that just makes no sense, at all..

[yes, i know Evolution is a S L O W bloated dog, but the other
    poster wants to sync and might think a program that looks and moves
    slowly like Outhouse is ok..]

--
    palladium
    Have a lot of fun..

Gentlemen,
    How to run it under KDE we can try to debug later on.

First let's get it work is SUSE with any user interface at all.

This guy (from Ubuntu) had some inconvenience, he couldn't get the full functionality. But he was able to establish a connection.

Should we try to "extract" method from Ubuntu?

I'd love to know how this works too. I tried a few times and eventually gave up after wasting many many hours. One thing you need to make sure of is that the SUSE firewall is not blocking the connection. I found that simply disabling it from yast and trying agin would not work. I had to disable it and then reboot, only then would my PDA connect with SUSE. I still couldn't get it to sync though.
    IBM Thinkpad X60s | Intel L2400 | Intel 945GM | 3GB | openSUSE Tumbleweed
    Dell XPS 13 9360 | openSUSE Leap 42.3

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast