openSuSE 11.1 - KDE 4 Locking UP!

i’ve installed oS on 3 of my systems. the iBm i’ve talked about, runs awsome! (now that i have more ram).
the 3 AMD’s ???
the one in question is a 2400+ with 1GB and was fine untill today.
i installed Mplayer from packman and it seemed to work fine. locked up FF once, but i had a lot of tabs going.???
i also used, for the first time, Quanta plus and had it save my ftp password in kwallet…
these are the only things different today.
open apps: gqview, ff, konqueror kde3, dolphin (connected to windows share).
one of the times i had to reboot, i got the error that DCOP communications error… i atributed this to the dolphin - win share connection?
konqueror wanted to ‘restore’ last session, but i said no and said ‘ok’ to DCOP error…
everything seemed as norm, but a few nimutes later… locked solid.
one more thing, i now have a user login screen when i reboot (boot)… Never before in the history of my using Linux (since 199x) as a workstaion, only servers by design…

Thank you in advance,
LandisReed.
–// Edit --//
it was not ‘dolphin’ that was connected to windows shares, but konqueror 4.1.3 rel 4.10.4… if that makes any diff…

OK, i think.
i was able to get rid of the konqueror 4 instance that was trying to reconect to the windows shares, tell it not to continue ‘reconnection’ and set things the way i wanted (window sizes, postion, etc.) and shut down - restart before it froze.
it’s been 20 mins and all seems fine…
one more thing is the login screen did not come up this time.
i can only assume that the login was not for SuSE but konqueror trying to reconnect???
i thought it might have been for kwallet trying to astablish connection with ftp server, but Quanta plus was not launching at start… part of that setting my windows to possion and size before shut down…

all seems well, for now : ( LOL

LandisReed.

Nope !!!
Still locked up… no ctrl esc, kill, no ctrl f# for desktops, Nothing…
this time it took an hour or so to lock up (freeze).
worked fine in the meen time.

Any ideas?

the other day i noticed that the usb mouse would lagg badly when first moved, after being idel for some time, so i shut down and attached a ps/2 mouse, seemed to work fine… but that was a few days ago…

power management problem??

thanks in advance,
LandisReed.

Lockups are a pain to diagnose. I normally try to shy away from such threads, because they can go for a long time, without the immediate gratification that one gets from a quick sound problem fix. But even though I’m a volunteer, that is rather selfish on my part.

I do not know much about KDE-4, as I ONLY have it running on a Sandbox PC, and also on the family laptop (and my wife’s PC). But I think what would help (possibly not me, but others) is to provide:

• where did you install from ? official DVD ? official KDE-4.1.3 live CD?
  • what KDE version? KDE-4.1.3 ? KDE-4.2.x ? KDE-4.3.x ?
  • any unusual messages in /var/log/messages when the freeze occurs ?
  • any high memory useage on “top” when running when the freeze occurs (you should have “top” running visible, all the time to help debug
  • what graphic hardware and what graphic driver are you using?
  • did you try a different graphic driver ?

Just some ideas. Again, I do not know anything really about KDE4.

well, i hate to jynks myself, but…
it’s been 5 days since i’ve looked up.
the Only thing i’ve done is to Not start FireFox 3.0.9 (i think).
openSuSE branded FireFox.

who knows?

LandisReed.

landis wrote:

>
> well, i hate to jynks myself, but…
> it’s been 5 days since i’ve looked up.
> the Only thing i’ve done is to Not start FireFox 3.0.9 (i think).
> openSuSE branded FireFox.
>
> who knows?
>

I have one FF related problem here on an AMD 64X2 box that fits your
description: if I access certain sites and view a PDF file form it then
close the session, the Acroread session generated by the help function does
not close and sucks 100% of the available CPU cycles until I kill it
manually. It ties things up so badly that the only effective way to kill
it is ALT-F1, then go get another beer while it comes up. Once up, it runs
pretty smartly but it does take a while to steal enough cycles to load!
Kill the Acroread session and boom - all is well. It got to the point that
anytime I wanted to check those sites with FF I opened ksysguard so I could
switch to it. Still S…L…O…W but convenient.

May be totally unrelated to your problem, but the FF link you mention fits.

Will Honea

i stoped using ‘acroread’ in 10.0. it is a huge cpu hoge.
i used to use kpdf, but prefer xpdf. right now i’m using Okular in KDE4 and except for the size and place it opens (about 4cm high by the width of my screen at the top of the desktop), i like it.

LandisReed.
p.s., day 6, still no lockups. bummer. i’m going to try using konqueror as my browser for a few days, then launch Mozilla again.