Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: How to reinstall Windows

  1. #1

    Default How to reinstall Windows

    Good day.
    I have two operation systems on my laptop: Windows Vista and OpenSUSE 11.1. I would like to install Windows 7, but it should rewrite my HD's boot sector.
    I like OpenSUSE boot loader and I have it now. Can I install it after Windows 7 installation somehow, so I could boot both Windows and Linux?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    PARADISE
    Posts
    929

    Default Re: How to reinstall Windows

    Boy, hide your thread title - you might get killed by some Linux user!
    Well, apparently you plan to use a dual-boot system. The esiest procedure to do this is to install Win* FIRST (the other way around doesnt work as smooth) and OpenSuse on a separate partition. In that case OpenSuse *should* pick up on the other OS and automatically and write the MBR accordingly. Please report back in case you have any problems.

    Oh and hey...Welcome to the forums and enjoy your time!
    CHECK OUT THESE GitHub PROJECTS!

    https://secupwn.github.io/Android-IMSI-Catcher-Detector/
    https://github.com/SecUpwN/Spotify-AdKiller

  3. #3

    Default Re: How to reinstall Windows

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMask View Post
    Boy, hide your thread title - you might get killed by some Linux user!
    Oh! I am in trouble! I need to hire a bodyguard and stop using Internet, so Linux users could neither kill not hack me

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMask View Post
    Well, apparently you plan to use a dual-boot system. The esiest procedure to do this is to install Win* FIRST (the other way around doesnt work as smooth) and OpenSuse on a separate partition. In that case OpenSuse *should* pick up on the other OS and automatically and write the MBR accordingly.
    Yes. You are right it worked. And NOW I have Linux and Windows on my computer with OpenSUSE loader in MBR. But I want to reinstall only Windows. So it's oposite to ideal situation. I have installed Linux and I need to install Windows.
    I don't want to reinstall Linux. So, is there any way to use both operation systems after Windows 7 installer would rewrite my MBR(Microsft will never be able to create good installer for their OS)?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMask View Post
    Oh and hey...Welcome to the forums and enjoy your time!
    Thank you a lot!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    11,731
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: How to reinstall Windows

    Yes it's not hard to restore the Grub multiboot.

    Are you going to install windows 7 to replace the vista install (i.e. format the existing vista during the install)?

    or are you going to install win 7 on an additional partition so you have two windows available?
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    PARADISE
    Posts
    929

    Default Re: How to reinstall Windows

    Easier than that would be considering using WINE. That way you dont have the shiny icon of win7, but a direct integration of all those Apps you want to use (means directly opening *.EXE in OpenSuse). But if you are really into it - heres a great guide for you: GRUB Boot Multiboot openSUSE Windows (2000, XP, Vista) using the Grub bootloader.
    CHECK OUT THESE GitHub PROJECTS!

    https://secupwn.github.io/Android-IMSI-Catcher-Detector/
    https://github.com/SecUpwN/Spotify-AdKiller

  6. #6

    Default Re: How to reinstall Windows

    Quote Originally Posted by swerdna View Post
    Yes it's not hard to restore the Grub multiboot.

    Are you going to install windows 7 to replace the vista install (i.e. format the existing vista during the install)?

    or are you going to install win 7 on an additional partition so you have two windows available?
    I am going to install Windows 7 to replace Vista.

  7. #7

    Default Re: How to reinstall Windows

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMask View Post
    Easier than that would be considering using WINE. That way you dont have the shiny icon of win7, but a direct integration of all those Apps you want to use (means directly opening *.EXE in OpenSuse). But if you are really into it - heres a great guide for you: GRUB Boot Multiboot openSUSE Windows (2000, XP, Vista) using the Grub bootloader.
    Thank you for this manual. I will try WINE, but first I will try to insall Windows 7 and fix my MBR.
    Thank you for your help.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    11,731
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: How to reinstall Windows

    Just install windows 7 normally, over the top of vista, formatting the old vista as you go. It will write a new bootloader. Then you can use the link from TheMask to put the openSUSE bootloader back.

    Or perhaps even simpler is to use this method:
    Reinstall Grub in the Master Boot Record and link it to the existing Grub menu in openSUSE
    That's from a collection of methods, it's the third method in this tutorial:
    HowTo Boot into openSUSE when it won't Boot from the Grub Code on the Hard Drive

    Toss a coin
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,857
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: How to reinstall Windows

    @Proger89
    It's totally easy. Just follow @swerdna's advice
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •