Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OpenSuse Total Cleanup

Default OpenSuse Total Cleanup

Heyho folks!

Is there a way to remove all unnecessary stuff from the system that is not needed? Now, when I talk about "unnecessary stuff" I mean the TEMP folder as well as those files beginning with ".*" (for example .trashfile.txt). Those files dont get deleted automatically either when uninstalling an application.

I thought that temp is cleared after reboot, but apparently all of that stuff is still in there. And here is an advice for the "smart" people thinking "Ey, just clean it by hand, dude!": DO NOT DELETE THE TEMP FOLDER MANUALLY! (did that once with another system - it was a great cream pie afterwards).

IF there is a way to do this -maybe some implemented script/bash command- please let me know.
    Main purpose of all the hype is the new 11.2. I wont do a complete re-install, but certainly I want to get rid of everything not needed anymore by the system.

TheMask.
    CHECK OUT THESE GitHub PROJECTS!

https://secupwn.github.io/Android-IMSI-Catcher-Detector/
    https://github.com/SecUpwN/Spotify-AdKiller

Blog Entries

Default Re: OpenSuse Total Cleanup

Some may or may not agree with this
    Clear Temp Files at Boot - openSUSE Forums

Often it's the case, that trying to remove stuff as you suggest can be more problematic than anything.

I would say a clean install is always the way to go. Just back up what you need! That way all the Crud goes in the format.
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    Some may or may not agree with this
    Clear Temp Files at Boot - openSUSE Forums

Often it's the case, that trying to remove stuff as you suggest can be more problematic than anything.

I would say a clean install is always the way to go. Just back up what you need! That way all the Crud goes in the format.
    I absolutely agree with you, caf4926.
    But thing is, if you have installed many applications and configured the system to work with CompizFusion, compiled own programs and it just WORKS for satisfaction, its a pain in the a## to do that all again. If thjere would be an easy way to at least keep the installed programs Id say: TOP - way to go, just format that thing. Otherwise clearing with commands is the easiest way to go.

Or IS there actually a way to transfer all the installed programs (at least those installed through YaST)?

Quote Originally Posted by TheMask View Post
    I thought that temp is cleared after reboot, but apparently all of that stuff is still in there. And here is an advice for the "smart" people thinking "Ey, just clean it by hand, dude!": DO NOT DELETE THE TEMP FOLDER MANUALLY! (did that once with another system - it was a great cream pie afterwards).
    TheMask.
    When you mean by "temp" and "THE TEMP FOLDER" the directory /tmp then I can add that:
    1) deleting it is stupid in any case, it is one of the main directories on the system;
    2) emptying it on a running system is also not very clever because a lot of running programs store there data they need during running (and during running only, that is where /tmp is for in the first place);
    3) deleting it at boot is a good practice and the link given by caf gives you the means to the end.
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheMask
    caf4926;2055861 Wrote:
    > Some may or may not agree with this
    > 'Clear Temp Files at Boot - openSUSE Forums'
    > (http://tinyurl.com/yzmzp5b)
    >
    > Often it's the case, that trying to remove stuff as you suggest can be
    > more problematic than anything.
    >
    > I would say a clean install is always the way to go. Just back up what
    > you need! That way all the Crud goes in the format.

But thing is, if you have installed many applications and configured
    the system to work with CompizFusion, compiled own programs and it just
    WORKS for satisfaction, its a pain in the a## to do that all again. If
    thjere would be an easy way to at least keep the installed programs Id
    say: TOP - way to go, just format that thing.

Otherwise clearing with commands is the easiest way to go.
    Hi
    Build rpms? I created a data partition and in there I have a
    configuration directory. Then for things like scripts bashrc, profile,
    signature etc I just create softlinks to my home directory (which is
    on /) so I can run multiple systems and use the same configurations. I
    also have some root ones as well.

The other thing I do is just a plain rpm repository for all those that
    aren't built on the OBS or downloaded from 3rd party.

Chances are you would need to recompile any applications manually built
    as chances are the libraries, gcc have been updated....

--
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 11.2 RC 1 (i586) Kernel 2.6.31.3-1-desktop
    up 18:40, 1 user, load average: 0.15, 0.09, 0.02
    ASUS eeePC 1000HE ATOM N280 1.66GHz | GPU Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME

Blog Entries

But thing is, if you have installed many applications and configured the system to work with CompizFusion, compiled own programs and it just WORKS for satisfaction, its a pain in the a## to do that all again. If thjere would be an easy way to at least keep the installed programs Id say: TOP - way to go, just format that thing. Otherwise clearing with commands is the easiest way to go.

Or IS there actually a way to transfer all the installed programs (at least those installed through YaST)?
    Honestly, it'll take me about 2 hrs tops to install everything I use and Update, starting from scratch and importing back all my Docs etc...
    There is no quick fix (sweeping it under the carpet) for what you want.
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Is there a way to remove all unnecessary stuff from the system that is not needed? Now, when I talk about "unnecessary stuff" I mean the TEMP folder as well as those files beginning with ".*" (for example .trashfile.txt). Those files dont get deleted automatically either when uninstalling an application.
    Youir other question seems to be:
    When I deinstall/remove a package, why are not all the directories/files in all the home directories of all users deleted (irrespective if their names are starting with a . or not)?

I think when you contemplate a while about this you will see that this would ask for a rather clever mechanism. If by change your wife would create (for reasons she does not have to explain to us) a file with the name .trashfile.txt in her home directory, she would be furious when you, as system manager, removed the trashfile application and her file was gone (while she even never used that application at all).
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    Honestly, it'll take me about 2 hrs tops to install everything I use and Update, starting from scratch and importing back all my Docs etc...
    There is no quick fix (sweeping it under the carpet) for what you want.
    there a migrate-x app that showed up under redhat 5.1 I beleave that was a simple root cli tool (bash script) which grabbed current config, current users, and gave a chance to copy everything you marked as save to a new location. Then you would clean install and use it again to selectively stuff things back where they were. I used it through redhat 5.1, thru 7.0 and mandrake 7 thru 9. I lost it when I went to mandrake 9 (my bad, forgot to list it during restore and wiped the drive).
    When your up to your a** in Alligators it's pretty hard to remember you intended to drain the swamp (author unknown)

Wow... you must be typing at the speed of light. For me it takes about a full week to replace one of the servers, reinstalling websites, speech synthesizers, mail, maillists, DNS, spam filters (and training them), databases (with replication) ...

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    When you mean by "temp" and "THE TEMP FOLDER" the directory /tmp then I can add that:
    1) deleting it is stupid in any case, it is one of the main directories on the system;
    2) emptying it on a running system is also not very clever because a lot of running programs store there data they need during running (and during running only, that is where /tmp is for in the first place);
    3) deleting it at boot is a good practice and the link given by caf gives you the means to the end.
    True. As you noticed I deleted TMP in a running system ONCE. Wont happen again. Guess thats doing by learning.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlevis
    Build rpms? I created a data partition and in there I have a
    configuration directory. Then for things like scripts bashrc, profile,
    signature etc I just create softlinks to my home directory (which is
    on /) so I can run multiple systems and use the same configurations. I
    also have some root ones as well.
    Malcolm, great to see you around! Well, if OpenSuse had a system tool to back up all applications and check for integrity for another system version (e.g. 11.2) I wouldnt have opened this thread (if a developer reads this: such tool would be a great enhancement for OpenSuse). You figured out an intersting way as well.

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926
    Please keep in mind: Thats YOUR system...

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv
    If by change your wife would create (for reasons she does not have to explain to us) a file with the name .trashfile.txt in her home directory, she would be furious when you, as system manager, removed the trashfile application and her file ws gone (while she even never used that application at all).
    Interesting thoughts, but I only do this if I want to hide something. I know where my hidden stuff is and Im sure no wife will ever create such .*-files on MY computers. But in fact you are right -one might never know what those files are for.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast