Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35

Thread: Download package dependencies for offline installation ?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    tehran
    Posts
    180

    Default Download package dependencies for offline installation ?

    is there a way to get urls of the packages that have been updated and then download them in another computer?
    like this feature of ubuntu HOWTO: Download package dependencies for offline installation - Ubuntu Forums

    its a simple feature and its present in smart and synaptic,yet its not in yast (or i havent found it yet.

    i would use smart package manager but in my home connection for checking for updates ,yast is better ( smart downloads filelist.xml.gz that is very way biger than what yast downloads (though it enables smart to show filelist of package BEFORE installing)
    .so at home i can check for package update with yast ,buy downloading them is very hard. (my connectioon is very bad (i live in iran) and yast mirrors are NOT the best of servers ,so yast gets interrupted in middle downloading a rpm and the whole process is waiting for me to press retry ,so i cant do updates and installs overnight.btw is there some way to tell it to retry always or a number of times automatically? )

    i need the url links of rpms so i download them separately and install them.
    opensuse 11.3 x86
    asus p5q
    nvidia 9800gt

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    1,529

    Default Re: Download package dependencies for offline installation ?

    openSUSE 11.2 (coming soon) will have a better download reliability for zypper. Another possibility might be to use rsync to pull the update repository and then you can update from your local repo. However, the initial download may be a problem with a slow connection, as the repo has grown to something like 5+GB.
    Technology is 'stuff that doesn't work yet.' -- Bran Ferren

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    tehran
    Posts
    180

    Default Re: Download package dependencies for offline installation ?

    Quote Originally Posted by vodoo View Post
    openSUSE 11.2 (coming soon) will have a better download reliability for zypper. Another possibility might be to use rsync to pull the update repository and then you can update from your local repo. However, the initial download may be a problem with a slow connection, as the repo has grown to something like 5+GB.
    maybe i didnt say it right
    i meant to say i want to download packages that are from many repositories , NOT JUST update repository.
    so in smart i can use its --url or something like that option in terminal or ,in gui i can disconnect the internetr just before clicking apply change and after clicking it gives me an error massage with urls to download so i can copy and paste them.

    but yast is still a very weak point of suse ,and sadly it has nothing to do with rpm specifics or any other major redhat system function, its just that yast doesnt make it very easy to do things,...many things that other package manager have as very basic and easy options and very ,you know,default ones.i mean when u install sofware with yast it uses the urls of download.opensuse.com to download them and the site directs yast to mirrors (i hav etried it with download manager and saw it get directed to other mirrors) ,so yast uses the basic urls.so why not give the option so buser can download the packages himself?
    in synaptic its right there in first menu of it to save the packages and their urls so user can download them.
    but in yast it just saves (import export ) whole packages list with their info and status (installed , remove ,install update and so on) but not their urls (. i mean how hard is that?
    opensuse 11.3 x86
    asus p5q
    nvidia 9800gt

  4. #4

    Default Re: Download package dependencies for offline installation ?

    zypper equivalent of yum —downloadonly, 02/02/09, Mike's blag

    You can but there should be a new zypper flag in 11.2 https://features.opensuse.org/302159 which presumably will make the transition to the gui.
    Man first, have a try at Info, have a look at Wiki, if all that fails Scroogle!!!!!
    If I've helped click on the Rep button I don't know what it does but it sounds cool.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    tehran
    Posts
    180

    Default Re: Download package dependencies for offline installation ?

    Quote Originally Posted by FeatherMonkey View Post
    zypper equivalent of yum —downloadonly, 02/02/09, Mike's blag

    You can but there should be a new zypper flag in 11.2 https://features.opensuse.org/302159 which presumably will make the transition to the gui.
    its good to know that zypper is gonna have a download only option but its no use to me and my problem.
    1)my problem IS downloading with zypper.i dont wanna download with yast or zypper because of errors and lack of resume of interrupted download (which is one of other basic option in all other package manager but yast )

    i dont want the cache of packages because if i could get yast to download my packages without me clicking reply or getting to download a 100 mb package like 5 times to get it right ,i wouldnt need the cache.

    2) and i am sure that yast wont put an option in GUI mode to give me the urls. it would eventually put the download option but you would have to download them with yast , which in my opinion in does NOT have a good download manager (aria2 or whatever it is, can be used with an option in command line and i have used it before with better result than yast without it, but still its not like retriver or IDM or flashgot. and aria2 doesnt work with some repositories like NVIDIA ,it seems that NVIDIA doesnt recognizes araia2 when checking for their repositories update).
    opensuse 11.3 x86
    asus p5q
    nvidia 9800gt

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    26,549
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: Download package dependencies for offline installation ?

    Did you check out smart package manager? Its what I use most the time on openSUSE.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Download package dependencies for offline installation ?

    Mmm well your needs are a bit out there and special, it is only for this scenario it "could" be needed. So not sure why you should be accommodated but to your problem...

    The only way I can see you doing this is by walking the tree so first you need a resolv xml then you would need to walk them.

    i.e
    Code:
    curl http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/11.1/repo/oss/suse/i586/3ddiag-0.742-32.82.i586.rpm?mirrorlist | patt GB
    My patt is an awk expression to cut out paragraphs..
    Code:
    awk 'BEGIN{RS="";ORS="\n\n"}/'"$1"'/' $2
    I'm not sure what you're asking is provided by any package manager this is a rather peculiar situation, maybe you need to look at why Yast/zypper is timing out rather than hacking around it.

    Edit
    Hindsight why even use the mirror list this maybe superflous just get the resolv xml and walk it.
    Man first, have a try at Info, have a look at Wiki, if all that fails Scroogle!!!!!
    If I've helped click on the Rep button I don't know what it does but it sounds cool.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    tehran
    Posts
    180

    Default Re: Download package dependencies for offline installation ?

    Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    Did you check out smart package manager? Its what I use most the time on openSUSE.
    plz read my first post
    as i have said i used smart before and it was good for giving the urls
    and i said in my 3rd post how to get urls in smart and its ability to resume

    but its not a good download manager. my packages get interupted in middle of downloading in smart too.

    and in my connection smart is not a good option to check for updates because it download the filelist.xml.gz thngy which is the bigget info of repo that yast doesnt downmload.so refreshing repos in yast is way faster that smart.
    opensuse 11.3 x86
    asus p5q
    nvidia 9800gt

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    26,549
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: Download package dependencies for offline installation ?

    Quote Originally Posted by rd1381 View Post
    but its not a good download manager. my packages get interupted in middle of downloading in smart too.
    Yes, but smart also resumes where it left off. If one does not want that resume (where it left off) to happen, just go to /var/lib/smart/packages (or someplace around there) and remove the partial file. I'm not at a linux pc right now and I'm going by memory (with a splitting headache).

    Quote Originally Posted by rd1381 View Post
    and in my connection smart is not a good option to check for updates because it download the filelist.xml.gz thngy which is the bigget info of repo that yast doesnt downmload.so refreshing repos in yast is way faster that smart.
    I disagree 100% here. Smart IMHO is FAR superior to anything debian or zypper/yast have when it comes to assessing and downloading updates.

    There is MUCH more to this than just "refreshing" the filelist.xml.gz as you call it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    tehran
    Posts
    180

    Default Re: Download package dependencies for offline installation ?

    Quote Originally Posted by FeatherMonkey View Post
    Mmm well your needs are a bit out there and special, it is only for this scenario it "could" be needed. So not sure why you should be accommodated but to your problem...

    The only way I can see you doing this is by walking the tree so first you need a resolv xml then you would need to walk them.

    i.e
    Code:
    curl http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/11.1/repo/oss/suse/i586/3ddiag-0.742-32.82.i586.rpm?mirrorlist | patt GB
    My patt is an awk expression to cut out paragraphs..
    Code:
    awk 'BEGIN{RS="";ORS="\n\n"}/'"$1"'/' $2
    I'm not sure what you're asking is provided by any package manager this is a rather peculiar situation, maybe you need to look at why Yast/zypper is timing out rather than hacking around it.

    Edit
    Hindsight why even use the mirror list this maybe superflous just get the resolv xml and walk it.
    realy?
    its a rare need right?
    so why every other package manager has it?
    read above post,that says use smart.even smart has that option in commandline.
    and read this to see that ubuntu has this "out there and special" need taken care of a long time ago.
    i dont want to insult anybody but plz read my post before you decide that its a stupid question and or that no other package manager has that option.obviously you are NOT very good with synaptic in ubuntu that has this option in FIRST menu of it.and i have said that it has it.so check that it has ,before u say "I'm not sure what you're asking is provided by any package manager this is a rather peculiar situation".
    opensuse 11.3 x86
    asus p5q
    nvidia 9800gt

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •