Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: dmesg.txt runs for 1 minute on boot

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    present moment
    Posts
    80

    Default dmesg.txt runs for 1 minute on boot

    Hey to All,
    I don't know how it happened, but watching the boot progress on screen there is a repeated line that runs for over a full aseconds.
    "bad line in etc/modprobe.d/dmesg.txt line xxx that begins with ..."
    I've looked into the dmesg.txt file and I can't tell where the problem is that makes it print out this error message.

    Any help is greatly appreciated.

    Blessings,
    Chetanji
    "Instead of finding fault with others, try to look to your own weaknesses."

  2. #2

    Default Re: dmesg.txt runs for 1 minute on boot

    I don't know what _you_ put in that "dmesg.txt"-file (yes, it must have been you, this file does not exist on a standard install), but the most logical thing to do would be to move/delete it, now wouldn't it?

    I also don't understand, why you don't post its content, especially as you even already know, that there might be something wrong with that file.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    present moment
    Posts
    80

    Default Re: dmesg.txt runs for 1 minute on boot

    Quote Originally Posted by Akoellh View Post
    I don't know what _you_ put in that "dmesg.txt"-file (yes, it must have been you, this file does not exist on a standard install), but the most logical thing to do would be to move/delete it, now wouldn't it?

    I also don't understand, why you don't post its content, especially as you even already know, that there might be something wrong with that file.
    Is it true if I delete dmesg.txt it will not create any problems with boot?

    Thanks
    "Instead of finding fault with others, try to look to your own weaknesses."

  4. #4

    Default Re: dmesg.txt runs for 1 minute on boot

    How shall I know, if I don't know the content?

    *Shakes his head*

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    present moment
    Posts
    80

    Default Re: dmesg.txt runs for 1 minute on boot

    The text that you have entered is too long (54422 characters). Please shorten it to 15000 characters long.

    This is the error message this forum gives me for trying to copy the dmesg.txt file between quote tags.

    I did not add anything to this file.
    How it happened is beyond me, although running KDE latest does have a great number of crashes, and for that reason I stick with KDE 3.

    Thanks,
    Chetanji
    "Instead of finding fault with others, try to look to your own weaknesses."

  6. #6

    Default Re: dmesg.txt runs for 1 minute on boot

    Quote Originally Posted by Chetanji View Post
    The text that you have entered is too long (54422 characters). Please shorten it to 15000 characters long.
    Ever heard of no-Paste/pastebin services?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chetanji View Post
    I did not add anything to this file.
    How it happened is beyond me,
    Well, it must have been you messing this up, whatever is in there. This file (as I already said in my first answer) does _not_ exist on a standard install.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    present moment
    Posts
    80

    Default Re: dmesg.txt runs for 1 minute on boot

    Quote Originally Posted by Akoellh View Post
    Ever heard of no-Paste/pastebin services?
    Didn't think you would use it. And why paste the contents of such a large file when all I have to do is delete it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Akoellh View Post
    Well, it must have been you messing this up, whatever is in there. This file (as I already said in my first answer) does _not_ exist on a standard install.
    I guess it doesn't matter what I say,
    Thanks for answering my question so quickly, that was nice.
    Blessings,
    Chetanji
    "Instead of finding fault with others, try to look to your own weaknesses."

  8. #8

    Default Re: dmesg.txt runs for 1 minute on boot

    Quote Originally Posted by Chetanji View Post
    Didn't think you would use it. And why paste the contents of such a large file when all I have to do is delete it?
    Maybe because I wanted to see, when that file was created or what is _really_ in it.

    The name of the file gives you a good chance of guessing, but instead of cooperating with _your own_ problem, you keep asking unproductive questions.

    If you don't want to get decent help, then why do you ask?

    If this file is the product of some insane, self-installed script doing this on every boot, then you will run into this problem again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chetanji View Post
    I guess it doesn't matter what I say,
    It does matter, it does matter a lot in fact, but if you don't answer questions and still expect help, then you should consider more _what_ you are saying.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chetanji View Post
    Thanks for answering my question so quickly,
    Apologies for that, won't happen again......

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,825
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: dmesg.txt runs for 1 minute on boot

    Chetanji

    dmesg is something that is used to extrapolate information, usually for debugging or something. Read about it here How to use the dmesg command -- by The Linux Information Project (LINFO)
    So the only way that you would have a file there is if you used dmesg and told it to output the information in a file. Basically, you told it to save whatever it was that you were doing with dmesg.

    Akoellh
    Back off with the attitude. If you think your superioristic attitude helps, your wrong. I'm sick of seeing you abuse people for asking questions. We all had our starting points, including you. You had to learn to, and you don't know everything.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    Don't ask "if" something can be done, for it can always be done. Rather instead ask "How" can it be done.

  10. #10

    Default Re: dmesg.txt runs for 1 minute on boot

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan_R View Post
    You had to learn to, and you don't know everything.
    Indeed, and I still don't know a lot, but when asking for help, I actually read the suggestions and answer the questions posted to me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •