Thread: Can't boot a guest OS in XEN without installation disk

Default Can't boot a guest OS in XEN without installation disk

Hopefully someone here can answer this question I have about XEN, sorry I usually use KVM but the version in the repos is to old to run Windows 7. I installed the windows guest yesterday and set a couple of things up, but today when I tried to boot it the VM got as far as the BIOS and crashed. After trying 8 times with no luck I sat down and thought about what has changed that could effect the VM, that is when it hit me the installation disk is not in my DVD drive. I quickly throw that in my drive hit the "Run" button and it boots! My question is why is this required, I know in KVM and even in VirtualBox once you install the OS you don't need the disk anymore?

Side question: Anyone know why XEN can't take a screenshot when a Windows OS is BSODing? I was able to crash it twice yesterday and no one will believe me without a screenshot
    "We must plan for freedom, and not only for security, if for no other reason than only freedom can make security more secure." Karl Popper

Default Re: Can't boot a guest OS in XEN without installation disk

Quote Originally Posted by vendion View Post
    Side question: Anyone know why XEN can't take a screenshot when a Windows OS is BSODing? I was able to crash it twice yesterday and no one will believe me without a screenshot
    Sorry, but almost anybody would believe you that you had a BSOD in any Windows OS.
    (Sorry, could not resist, ban me for religious fanatism).
    Henk van Velden

Default Re: Can't boot a guest OS in XEN without installation disk

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Sorry, but almost anybody would believe you that you had a BSOD in any Windows OS.
    (Sorry, could not resist, ban me for religious fanatism).
    Maybe so in most cases but not the people I know who believe that 7 has no problems what so ever
    "We must plan for freedom, and not only for security, if for no other reason than only freedom can make security more secure." Karl Popper