Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: What's going on? New install: popup/confirm windows hang!

  1. #1

    Default What's going on? New install: popup/confirm windows hang!

    I just installed openSUSE 11.1. When I right click on the trash icon (or in dolphin) and select "empty trash" it hangs the entire desktop/OS for about 30 seconds before displaying the confirm window's text and button! What could be happening?

  2. #2

    Default Re: What's going on? New install: empty trash hangs.

    Upon further examination, this seems to be happening for ANY popup!! What could be causing this?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    East of Podunk
    Posts
    32,938
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: What's going on? New install: popup/confirm windows hang!

    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr
    Upon further examination, this seems to be happening for ANY popup!!
    What could be causing this?
    Hi
    Beagle?, mandb running (it will start around 15 mins from first boot).

    Run (or top from the CLI) the kde sysinfo thingy and look at processes
    running.

    Is it KDE4 or 3.5?

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.29-0.1-default
    up 11 days 1:51, 3 users, load average: 0.54, 0.30, 0.21
    GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 190.18


  4. #4

    Default Re: What's going on? New install: popup/confirm windows hang

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Beagle?, mandb running (it will start around 15 mins from first boot).

    Run (or top from the CLI) the kde sysinfo thingy and look at processes
    running.

    Is it KDE4 or 3.5?

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.29-0.1-default
    up 11 days 1:51, 3 users, load average: 0.54, 0.30, 0.21
    GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 190.18
    It's KDE 4.1.3. I simply installed 11.2 "normally".

    What's weird is I had OpenSUSE 11.0 running no problem before.

    Running "top" I get these showing at the top right now:

    X
    konsole
    kwin
    kupdateapplet
    dolphin
    firefox-bin
    konqueror
    top
    plasma
    init

    (What's the sysinfo thing you're talking about?)

    Could this be caused by the display? (I mean the drivers or whatever KDE/OpenSUSE is using)

    The issue is getting worse and worse. More and more windows are just hanging. I tried thuderbird but composing a new message hangs until I have to force kill it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ardrishaig, Argyll. Scotland UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,859
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: What's going on? New install: popup/confirm windows hang

    I just installed openSUSE 11.1
    It's KDE 4.1.3. I simply installed 11.2 "normally"
    Which is it.
    11.1 is my guess because you also say 4.1.3

    Is it with or without effects?
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  6. #6

    Default Re: What's going on? New install: popup/confirm windows hang

    Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    Which is it.
    11.1 is my guess because you also say 4.1.3

    Is it with or without effects?
    Sorry. It's 11.1 (the latest STABLE version) and without effects.

    What's weird is that "most" stuff seems to run a tad faster than it did with 11.0, but this hanging thing is crazy!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ardrishaig, Argyll. Scotland UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,859
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: What's going on? New install: popup/confirm windows hang

    If you are in a updating / installing mood you could go to kde43
    KDE 4.3.2 HowTo for 11.1 - openSUSE Forums

    or try 11.2
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  8. #8

    Default Re: What's going on? New install: popup/confirm windows hang

    Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    If you are in a updating / installing mood you could go to kde43
    KDE 4.3.2 HowTo for 11.1 - openSUSE Forums

    or try 11.2
    WTF?! I think I *may* have solved the issue!

    I right-clicked on the desktop, and chose to view desktop settings. Then I changed it from "Plain desktop" to the "Default Desktop Containment" and now everything seems to be running at super speed (i.e. noticeably faster than EVER before). I tried putting something in the trash and emptying it and the window popped up immeadiately.

    Any idea why this *might* have fixed the issue?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ardrishaig, Argyll. Scotland UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,859
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: What's going on? New install: popup/confirm windows hang

    4.1.3 was supper buggy at release. Good job.
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  10. #10

    Default Re: What's going on? New install: popup/confirm windows hang

    Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    4.1.3 was supper buggy at release. Good job.
    Should i upgrade to KDE 4.2 or should I leave well enough alone?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •