Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Strange lines with ATI Radeon x300

Lole93 NNTP User

Unhappy Strange lines with ATI Radeon x300

When I have composite enabled (in kde in OpenSuse 11.2) formed lines on the screen (with OpenGL, XRender works but is slow). How can I solve this problem?

Default Re: Strange lines with ATI Radeon x300

same problem on my fire gl 3200 (Thinkpad T43p) with desktopeffects/composite = on

ran sax2 which initially resulted in totally garbled graphics once effects switched on

this machine did effects fine under 11.1/KDE4

have to work out if the changes in graphics config are causing this or if it's a kernel/driver/KDE problem...

seems like the older TPs are less supported, even ipw firmware wasn't in the LiveCD

IG

Same problem here with an ATI Radeon XPress 1100 card.

ok, so the last config I had desktop effects working on my T43p (ATI FireGL3200) was the Jun '09 "11.1 KDE4 Re-spin" with KDE 4.2.3 and radeon 1.2.4 (11.2RC1 has KDE 4.3.1 and radeon 1.3.0)

rain forecast for Monday's holiday, so I'll experiment & see which update breaks it; along with Network Manager which was also fine "back then"

IG

carlosmacleod NNTP User

Same here after update to RC1
    ATI Radeon all in wonder 9600xt
    Opensource drivers

Any clue ?

I also have the same kind of problem, and it was not present in 11.1. My card is old Mobility U1 (r100), radeon driver.

This kind of behavior I get regardless of whether or not I use xorg.conf.

Looking at xorg log, I see XAA is selected by default. If I manually set EXA, I get no visible improvement, my desktop wallpaper becomes black, and no maximized window has any content (just title bar and black desktop). So I disabled EXA, but had to disable compositing in order to have usable desktop.

I also tried installing compiz 0.8.4. Similar issues were present, and although I had no lines like these, the tooltips would appear damaged. Certain shadow defects were also present, though not always. Wobbly worked remarkably faster than kwin though (on 4.3.3).

I tested out a live version of Kubuntu and Mandriva. Kubuntu exibited the same kind of behavior as I had with EXA turned on. Mandriva however was flawless. I noticed that in order to use compositing, I had to install package mesa-demos. Have no idea what it does, and I found no similar one in OpenSuse's repos. However, I could not enable kwin's compositing on Mandriva, and had to use Compiz there. It was flawless as I have never seen it work on my kind of hardware - fast wobbly windows, no problems in scrolling, no video slowdowns.

Alas, trying to do the same with OpenSuse 11.2 did not yield the same result...

Cypher-Switch NNTP User

Same here, strange lines with a Radeon Mobility X600 SE. Moreover, the system tends to crash quite often when effects are on. And it's 11.2 Final !

Blog Entries

Great I'm beginning to wonder if its going to be a step backwards installing openSUSE 11.2 in place of 11.0 on my 3 yr old ThinkPad Z60m (which uses X300 chipset). At least I have the fglrx driver for the moment. Not looking forward to losing 3D support...

famaster NNTP User

I'm somewhat a new Linux user and have been trying a whole bunch of distros trying to get compiz/kwin to work on my Radeon X300 SE. In Ubuntu Jaunty, I had been at least been able to enable graphic effects with similar problems, only worse, but in Karmic I'm not even able to enable it because no drivers are found.

So fglrx works with the X300 in 11.2? I couldn't help but notice that 11.2 uses a similar xserver version to Karmic...

I know that downgrading Xorg is a solution, but it's challenging to do, and it's only worked for me on Jaunty. The last time I tried openSUSE (11.1), the keyboard simply did not work on reboot, although that's probably my own fault somewhere... If it at least allows compositing, I'll definitely give openSUSE another shot.

btw @ hermesrules, are you using Mandriva 2010?

Blog Entries

So fglrx works with the X300 in 11.2? I couldn't help but notice that 11.2 uses a similar xserver version to Karmic...
    Sadly not. The new Xorg version, means that this generation of ATI cards are left with only the open source ati or radeon drivers. I'm in the same boat (when/if I install openSUSE 11.2). The AMD/ATI website specifically mentions they have only legacy driver available, and this will not work with openSUSE 11.2.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast