11.2 RC1 x86_64 - ATI Radeon detected, but fglrx missing?

Running SuSE 11.2 RC1
ATI Radeon 4870, Intel Core2 Q9400 (quad core)

$ uname -a
Linux xps630 2.6.31.3-1-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT 2009-10-08 00:27:25 +0200 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

My graphics card gets detected and set up fine off the bat, and I’m running KDE just fine with no compiz/xgl (I haven’t even tried compiz so far). glxinfo seems to indicate that the right driver is being used.

$ glxinfo |grep OpenGL
OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R600 (RV770 9440) 20090101  TCL
OpenGL version string: 1.4 Mesa 7.6
OpenGL extensions:

But glxgears (or other OpenGL programs like blender) give a “drmRadeonCmdBuffer: -22” error:

$ glxgears

*** NOTE: Don't use glxgears as a benchmark.
    OpenGL implementations are not optimized for frame rates >> 60fps,
    thus these numbers are meaningless when compared between vendors.

drmRadeonCmdBuffer: -22. Kernel failed to parse or rejected command stream. See dmesg for more info.

dmesg doesn’t really have any additional output from before I invoke glxgears. I looked at /var/log/Xorg.0.log and noticed the following lines:

(II) LoadModule: "fglrx"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module fglrx
(II) UnloadModule: "fglrx"
(EE) Failed to load module "fglrx" (module does not exist, 0)

Is fglrx in the standard repo now that the ATI drivers are open source (couldn’t find it)?

Note that this is a new computer, and I haven’t installed previous SuSE versions on this before, and it’s been a WHILE since I had an ATI card.

I’m waiting for the official release of the 9.10 catalyst driver before i start messing with Opensuse 11.2 and my 4770, because i know 9.9 does not support kernel 2.6.31.

You can compile 9.9 from the AMD website with 2.6.31 but it will take some editing. There is a previous thread about the process in this section… somewhere.

Hopefully 9.10 will be out before the end of October.

Well, I was hoping more along the lines of an open-source driver. According to
X.Org Wiki - RadeonFeature
X.Org Wiki - radeonhd
Novell and AMD have been working together on one, and it should have some 3D acceleration. The first page seems to imply that this driver is independent of fglrx. Anyone have any information on this? I was kinda hoping for open-source acceleration.

More info on the above problem. Previously, there was not xorg.conf and things were being auto-detected. I got sax2 to spit out an xorg.conf and examined it. The xorg.conf used the open-source radeonhd driver (which is available in the standard repos). After restarting X, I noticed that Xorg.0.log no longer has an reference to fglrx, and there are no errors (lines starting with “(EE)”) any more. I looked at all the warnings, and they seemed rather innocuous. Nevertheless, glxinfo and glxgears still behave as in the first post above.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could try to figure out what’s wrong? I don’t mind playing around with it. I want to get as much info as possible if I want to file a bug report.

This may surprise you but nothing is wrong!

I get very similar results on my system. You have a 2D grafix driver, which supports a desktop and most applications.

What you do not have is 3D grafix acceleration enabled and installed. For the RV7XX series Radeon HD GPUs, I believe we’ll need the ATI Catalyst drivers for quite some time.

Really as sunscape suggested, I should wait for ATI driver release, before you worry about getting 3D working. Hopefully you have a previous release to fall back on in meantime.

I would expect the ATI Catalyst to start supporting 11.2 in late November shortly after the release is actually made.

I just stumbled across benchmarking of OSS vs Catalyst driver at Phoronix, so it looks like large strides have been made since 11.1 release time : [Phoronix] AMD R600/700 2D Performance: Open vs. Closed Drivers](http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd_r600_r700_2d&num=1)

Not having to bother with proprietary drivers would be great!