Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: 11.2 RC1 Mostly Works! Minor issues:

  1. #1

    Default 11.2 RC1 Mostly Works! Minor issues:

    What an improvement from M8! This one is usable, most things work, including networking and the optical media, which made me unable to use M8.

    For RC1, I found so far one issue and one bug:

    1. When loading an optical disk, the physical eject button no longer works. This is rather annoying but at least the eject command and context menu work. If someone knows how to change
    this, please let me know.

    2. Options for file-systems in gconf are ignored. Here is the procedure I follow which worked until 11.2 M8:
    Cybernium: Linux FAT32 Case-Sensitivity Issue

    Sadly this no longer works and makes sharing a disk with Windows an exercise in frustration. Using rsync can result in your files being deleted!

    Any ideas how to get RC1 to honor these settings OR where to make the equivalent change? I need to set a driver option for the vfat (FAT32) driver so that file case is read correctly.

    Thanks in advance,

    - Itai

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    27,109
    Blog Entries
    40

    Default Re: 11.2 RC1 Mostly Works! Minor issues:

    Quote Originally Posted by idanan View Post
    1. When loading an optical disk, the physical eject button no longer works. This is rather annoying but at least the eject command and context menu work. If someone knows how to change
    this, please let me know.
    I also read of a couple other people who encountered this.

    So I was curious, ... I tested on my sandbox PC and the physical eject button does work on that PC.

    So IMHO this could either be hardware specific ? ... or you have a different 11.2 RC1 than I have.

    This worked on a 32-bit openSUSE-11.1 RC1 on a rather old 32-bit athlon-1100 PC. I installed direct from the installation DVD for 11.2 RC1.

    Quote Originally Posted by idanan View Post
    2. Options for file-systems in gconf are ignored.
    Sorry, I don't understand this, so I can't help. I do note I can access the internal FAT partition on my sandbox PC, and I can access external NTFS and FAT partitions on external hard drives. But thats not what you are getting at, so I can't help offer a second opinion on it.

  3. #3

    Smile Re: 11.2 RC1 Mostly Works! Minor issues:

    On my Upgraded 11.2 RC1 from 11.1 with latest KDE 4.3.1 / 4.3.2 system the button also works! Ejecting Media from Dolphin does not work if you have selected the media (This probably needs a fix). Terminal eject /dev/sr0,1,2 etc. (I have presently 3 * 22X LG Drives to make backups, 1 connected via USB which is a PATA and 2 connected via SATA) also works as well as eject -t /dev/sr0,1,2. I work in KDE4.3.x!

    It might be KDE blocking the eject which is not allowing this because you are accessing (Have it open somewhere) but this is speculation. Just wanted to say that on my system it does work.

    I had some NVIDIA driver issues which were somehow fixed after the 3rd try. The main issue here was that desktop effects under the KDE Configuration program did not show any list. This was related to the drivers not having been installed properly. I did download the correct package. It might be important to run sax2 -r -m 0=nvidia after installation of the NVIDIA drivers which asks you if it should run this for you, answer no and run the sax2 command yourself!

    Also suffered some problems with file associations which was cause by previous renaming of repositories from KDE4 to KDE. I use them to add genisofs and growisofs to my context menus so I can generate ISO's and write these ISO's DVD without going through Nero or k3b. Googling around did provide a solution by adding 2 entries into configuration if KDE did not display appropriate response after some echo (I lost the link and procedure because konqueror and various other applications reset themselves afterwords and I did not Bookmark the page.). The problem I had was that when changing File Associations, the changes being attempted would result in a continues loop in Updating System Settings" which never finished until I updated the KDE configuration file with the two lines specifying KDE profile or something in that line. Should you need assistance with this matter, please email me at impulse@namibhub.com.

    Occasionally Dolphin goes crazy but I assume this is something being worked on. Haven't experienced Dolphin crash in over a day and suspect the above mentioned KDE profile issue as a possible fix. If this truly is the issue, the problem would not exists with a new clean install as the problem started somewhere in KDE 4.2.x. according to the web page that contained the solution that helped me.

    Everything else seems to work, even Sun Virtualbox and VMWARE worktstation which needed to recompile for the new Kernel without any drama.

  4. #4

    Default Re: 11.2 RC1 Mostly Works! Minor issues:

    Hi,

    Thanks for the answer. Unfortunately, I have not much idea of what you are saying. I do not know what Dolphin is and I do not use KDE at all (no application that starts or ends with 'k' is on my system I also do not have any nVidia components, so that too does not apply.

    It seems the lock is on purpose or a side-effect of something else because when I inserted an unreadable CD earlier today, the eject worked but as soon as a CD or DVD mounts correctly, the physical eject button no longer works. Obviously, this can be hardware specific as maybe my drive is interpreting a command as 'lock the eject button'. I have a NEC DVD-RW ND-3550A.

    Earlier I encountered another strange bug which is that once Brasero blanks a DVD+RW, that disk no longer mounts and cannot be used as target for writing (Brasero says to insert a blank media). Using wodim works with that disk though. This worked with 11.1 but not with 11.2 milestones since my optical drives did not work at all until RC1.

    - Itai

    Quote Originally Posted by VolkerBause View Post
    On my Upgraded 11.2 RC1 from 11.1 with latest KDE 4.3.1 / 4.3.2 system the button also works! Ejecting Media from Dolphin does not work if you have selected the media (This probably needs a fix). Terminal eject /dev/sr0,1,2 etc. (I have presently 3 * 22X LG Drives to make backups, 1 connected via USB which is a PATA and 2 connected via SATA) also works as well as eject -t /dev/sr0,1,2. I work in KDE4.3.x!

    It might be KDE blocking the eject which is not allowing this because you are accessing (Have it open somewhere) but this is speculation. Just wanted to say that on my system it does work.

    I had some NVIDIA driver issues which were somehow fixed after the 3rd try. The main issue here was that desktop effects under the KDE Configuration program did not show any list. This was related to the drivers not having been installed properly. I did download the correct package. It might be important to run sax2 -r -m 0=nvidia after installation of the NVIDIA drivers which asks you if it should run this for you, answer no and run the sax2 command yourself!

    Also suffered some problems with file associations which was cause by previous renaming of repositories from KDE4 to KDE. I use them to add genisofs and growisofs to my context menus so I can generate ISO's and write these ISO's DVD without going through Nero or k3b. Googling around did provide a solution by adding 2 entries into configuration if KDE did not display appropriate response after some echo (I lost the link and procedure because konqueror and various other applications reset themselves afterwords and I did not Bookmark the page.). The problem I had was that when changing File Associations, the changes being attempted would result in a continues loop in Updating System Settings" which never finished until I updated the KDE configuration file with the two lines specifying KDE profile or something in that line. Should you need assistance with this matter, please email me at impulse@namibhub.com.

    Occasionally Dolphin goes crazy but I assume this is something being worked on. Haven't experienced Dolphin crash in over a day and suspect the above mentioned KDE profile issue as a possible fix. If this truly is the issue, the problem would not exists with a new clean install as the problem started somewhere in KDE 4.2.x. according to the web page that contained the solution that helped me.

    Everything else seems to work, even Sun Virtualbox and VMWARE worktstation which needed to recompile for the new Kernel without any drama.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kansas City Area, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    7,236

    Default Re: 11.2 RC1 Mostly Works! Minor issues:

    On 10/19/2009 09:06 PM, idanan wrote:
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > Thanks for the answer. Unfortunately, I have not much idea of what you
    > are saying. I do not know what Dolphin is and I do not use KDE at all
    > (no application that starts or ends with 'k' is on my system I also
    > do not have any nVidia components, so that too does not apply.
    >
    > It seems the lock is on purpose or a side-effect of something else
    > because when I inserted an unreadable CD earlier today, the eject worked
    > but as soon as a CD or DVD mounts correctly, the physical eject button
    > no longer works. Obviously, this can be hardware specific as maybe my
    > drive is interpreting a command as 'lock the eject button'. I have a NEC
    > DVD-RW ND-3550A.


    You should not be able to eject a mounted volume. You need to unmount
    it first, then the manual eject button should work. Doing a software
    eject must first unmount, then the eject. If earlier versions did
    otherwise, they have a bug.


  6. #6

    Default Re: 11.2 RC1 Mostly Works! Minor issues:

    I'll add my own "minor" glitches to this list instead of creating a new thread.

    1. Octave doesn't work off the bat without additional symlinks
    Code:
    $ octave
    octave: error while loading shared libraries: liboctave.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    After
    Code:
    $ sudo ln -s /usr/lib64/octave-3.0.2/liboctave.so /usr/lib64
    $ sudo ln -s /usr/lib64/octave-3.0.2/libcruft.so /usr/lib64
    $ sudo ln -s /usr/lib64/octave-3.0.2/liboctinterp.so /usr/lib64
    octave runs without complaint. Should these be created by the original package?


    2. Amarok (v2.1.1) doesn't like to play mp3s even though I'm using libxine1 from the packman repo. Audio CDs have played fine, and mplayer plays the mp3s fine.

    In Amarok, if I go to Settings > Configure Amarok > Playback > Configure (button) > Audio Output > Music, then I see 4 devices in the following order
    - HDANVidia (ALC1200 Analog)
    - HDANVidia (ALC1200 Digital)
    - HDAATI HDMI, ATI HDMI (HDMI Audio Output)
    - PulseAudio
    The test sounds works for the first (Analog) and the last (PulseAudio). Any suggestions on what to try?

  7. #7

    Default Re: 11.2 RC1 Mostly Works! Minor issues:

    Quote Originally Posted by marcianx View Post
    2. Amarok (v2.1.1) doesn't like to play mp3s even though I'm using libxine1 from the packman repo. Audio CDs have played fine, and mplayer plays the mp3s fine.

    In Amarok, if I go to Settings > Configure Amarok > Playback > Configure (button) > Audio Output > Music, then I see 4 devices in the following order
    - HDANVidia (ALC1200 Analog)
    - HDANVidia (ALC1200 Digital)
    - HDAATI HDMI, ATI HDMI (HDMI Audio Output)
    - PulseAudio
    The test sounds works for the first (Analog) and the last (PulseAudio). Any suggestions on what to try?
    Ok, this is now fixed. Apparently I didn't successfully/correctly change the libxine1 vendor to reinstall it (even though it seemed that I did). I figured this out when I installed libxine1-esd from the packman repo and YaST asked to change the vendor. MP3s now work fine.

  8. #8

    Default Re: 11.2 RC1 Mostly Works! Minor issues:

    >You should not be able to eject a mounted volume. You need to >unmount
    >it first, then the manual eject button should work. Doing a >software
    >eject must first unmount, then the eject. If earlier versions did
    >otherwise, they have a bug.

    You mean, this is by design? OK, I officially hate this

    It worked before though... Any way I can configure it to do as it did before? It is more tedious to unmount first... The eject button should do the right thing, as it did in earlier versions.

    - Itai

  9. #9

    Default Re: 11.2 RC1 Mostly Works! Minor issues:

    Adding to the burning issues, this may give some hints... If I blank a DVD using Brasero then during the blanking process (after a few seconds) I actually get a prompt saying "A blank DVD was inserted". Later when the blanking finishes (tried fast and full blanking), the system no longer sees the disk. Ejecting and reinserting does nothing. Opening Brasero says there is no DVD in the drive. wodim can still write though... very strange.

    Does that help find the problem?

    Thanks in advance,

    - Itai

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,500

    Default Re: 11.2 RC1 Mostly Works! Minor issues:

    Quote Originally Posted by lwfinger View Post
    On 10/19/2009 09:06 PM, idanan wrote:
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > Thanks for the answer. Unfortunately, I have not much idea of what you
    > are saying. I do not know what Dolphin is and I do not use KDE at all
    > (no application that starts or ends with 'k' is on my system I also
    > do not have any nVidia components, so that too does not apply.
    >
    > It seems the lock is on purpose or a side-effect of something else
    > because when I inserted an unreadable CD earlier today, the eject worked
    > but as soon as a CD or DVD mounts correctly, the physical eject button
    > no longer works. Obviously, this can be hardware specific as maybe my
    > drive is interpreting a command as 'lock the eject button'. I have a NEC
    > DVD-RW ND-3550A.


    You should not be able to eject a mounted volume. You need to unmount
    it first, then the manual eject button should work. Doing a software
    eject must first unmount, then the eject. If earlier versions did
    otherwise, they have a bug.
    CD and DVD are usually auto-mounted, and dismounted on pressing the eject button. I don't recall ever having to manually unmount a CD or DVD, or use s/w eject, before ejecting (with physical button) on any operating system.

    For example on 11.1, Insert DVD; Konqueror opens DVD; contents display; press eject button; drawer opens; remove DVD; and Konqueror display blanks. It's auto-dismounted. Am I missing something here?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •