Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Burning Boot DVD

  1. #1

    Question Burning Boot DVD

    Hello. I have a Sony Vaio AR 790.

    I downloaded suse DVD iso image with international language option.

    I burned the iso image to DVD, but I used CDBurnerXP. I don't know what option to use. I've burned through a few DVDs now, and none of them work. Here's the options that I can check off:

    1. DVD high compatibility
    2. Finalize Disc
    3. Mode 2XA instead of Mode 1
    4. Verify data after burning
    5. Shutdown computer after completion

    Speed: 8x (or I can set it to less)

    Okay, so option 4 and 5 doesn't matter but what about the others?

    Here's what I do with bios: I set boot priority to only boot from internal optical disk.

    When I do that, my computer complains that "Can't find Operating System." My point by changing the boot priority is to make sure that I set my BIOS correctly and that my BIOS can boot from an optical disk, and it can.

    So, here's some other things I can do:

    1. Burn Iso CD image on to a physical CD platter.
    2. Continue playing around with DVD burn options.

    Anyways, any other suggestions? This has been time consuming and expensive. I'd like to cut down on resources.

    thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Bochum, Germany
    Posts
    3,587

    Default Re: Burning Boot DVD

    * ToyYoda,

    when you look at the content of the freshly burnt DVD in Windows, what do you see?

    [ ] nothing
    [ ] a file structure
    [ ] a single ISO file

    Uwe

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    29,761

    Default Re: Burning Boot DVD

    I guess this is the corect one: 1. Burn Iso CD image on to a physical CD platter.

    Then use buckesfeld's test to see the difference. It should b a file structure, not an iso file.
    Henk van Velden

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Rockyford Alberta Canada
    Posts
    1,388

    Default Re: Burning Boot DVD

    Quote Originally Posted by ToyYoda View Post
    Hello. I have a Sony Vaio AR 790.

    I downloaded suse DVD iso image with international language option.

    I burned the iso image to DVD, but I used CDBurnerXP. I don't know what option to use. I've burned through a few DVDs now, and none of them work. Here's the options that I can check off:

    1. DVD high compatibility
    2. Finalize Disc
    3. Mode 2XA instead of Mode 1
    4. Verify data after burning
    5. Shutdown computer after completion

    Speed: 8x (or I can set it to less)

    Okay, so option 4 and 5 doesn't matter but what about the others?

    Here's what I do with bios: I set boot priority to only boot from internal optical disk.

    When I do that, my computer complains that "Can't find Operating System." My point by changing the boot priority is to make sure that I set my BIOS correctly and that my BIOS can boot from an optical disk, and it can.

    So, here's some other things I can do:

    1. Burn Iso CD image on to a physical CD platter.
    2. Continue playing around with DVD burn options.

    Anyways, any other suggestions? This has been time consuming and expensive. I'd like to cut down on resources.

    thanks.
    Are you sure your vaio can handle burning iso DVD's cause with the options you've shown thus far it appears DVD burning is limited to data DVD's for music and files.

    You should have an option similar to your one for Burn Iso CD Image where CD is replaced with DVD. That's the one that will work or has the best chance of working.
    When your up to your a** in Alligators it's pretty hard to remember you intended to drain the swamp (author unknown)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    29,761

    Default Re: Burning Boot DVD

    Correct techwiz03. It says about burning ISO CDs, not DVDs. I know nothing about Windows and its applications, but you should check if your tool can do this before burning more DVDs to scrap.
    Henk van Velden

  6. #6

    Default Re: Burning Boot DVD

    Hello. I see a file structure. Here are some of the dirs:

    boot
    document
    media.1
    suse

    Here are some of the files:

    autorun.inf
    ChangeLog
    content
    content.asc
    content.key
    directory.yast


    Anyays, The burner is a dvd burner, it's a blue ray burner.

    I guess I will try burning cd image onto a cd platter. I have to wait for the store to open. I ran out of dvd's.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Burning Boot DVD

    Quote Originally Posted by techwiz03 View Post
    Are you sure your vaio can handle burning iso DVD's cause with the options you've shown thus far it appears DVD burning is limited to data DVD's for music and files.

    You should have an option similar to your one for Burn Iso CD Image where CD is replaced with DVD. That's the one that will work or has the best chance of working.
    I think I am sure it can handle burning dvds. I can see a file structue after I burn the iso image. Is that a good enough test?

    Anyways, when I run CDBurnerXP, it has the options:

    [] Data Disc -- Allows you to create ISO images, burn usual data discs, MP3-CDs and video discs.
    [] Audio disc -- Allows you to create usual aduio discs, with or without gaps between the tracks.
    [] Burn ISO image -- Allows you to burn ISO files to disc.
    [] Copy disc -- Allows you to copy audio and data discs.
    [] Erase disc -- Allows you to remove all contents from a rewritable medium.

    Every time I choose Burn ISO image. Then after that I am presented with the options I listed before. Here's the list again:

    [] DVD high compatibility
    [] Mode 2XA instead of Mode 1
    [] Finalize disc
    [] Verify data after burning
    [] Shutdown computer after completion


    Perhaps my hardware can only boot from a CD and not a DVD?

    thanks for the help.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Burning Boot DVD

    Quote Originally Posted by ToyYoda View Post
    Perhaps my hardware can only boot from a CD and not a DVD?

    thanks for the help.
    Impossible. Your optical devices can boot from any supported media as long as it contains boot code.
    Do you have a windows boot CD ? Does that one boot ?

    If not, then your boot order is not set correctly in the bios.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Rockyford Alberta Canada
    Posts
    1,388

    Default Re: Burning Boot DVD

    Ok, so burning to disc appears to be ok, can you auto-launch the DVD from with-in windows? or does this present you the classic "you cannot execute this disc"
    When your up to your a** in Alligators it's pretty hard to remember you intended to drain the swamp (author unknown)

  10. #10

    Default Re: Burning Boot DVD

    Quote Originally Posted by techwiz03 View Post
    Ok, so burning to disc appears to be ok, can you auto-launch the DVD from with-in windows? or does this present you the classic "you cannot execute this disc"
    Hello, I double click the autorun.inf file and I can see it's contents:

    [autorun]
    label = openSUSE 11.1
    icon = susego.ico
    open = openSUSE11_1_LOCAL.exe



    I tried looking for the exe above, and I can't find it. Would you know where to look for it? I tried using Windows explorer find and did not find it.

    Anyways, I will go to the store grab (another) pack of DVDs and a pack of CDs. I'd like the option to try gnome and kde in one installation. Is that possible? Can I install one and package add the other? It's been like 10 years since I played with SuSE Linux.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •