Font Display

I just installed suse on a compaw machine that had a hardrive failure. I’m not new to linx/unix as I’ve been running unix for 20 years at work and linux for 10, but it’s all command line and no gui.

I have done some searches on font diplays on the desktop and gone throgh one tutorial but it didn’t make a difference. The system recognizes the correct graphics card and monitor but I have display issues. The siz of the screen area is too large - even after using the monitors adjusting tools, and the rezolution changes don’t seem to stick as if I reboot they go back to the prvious.

My fonts are almost unreadable. The tutorial I used recomemded changing some fonts but I don’t have the fonts it recomended and I’m not sure how to install them. (Haven’t found a font installer yet ont eh system)

I just installed this this morning and was very pleased that I’ve had no issues other than this. I’ve never had a windows install go as easily.

I even got the wireless internet working! (yay me)

Any hints or links to more font documentation is appeciated. I’m using the kbed(?not sure if name is right) desk top.

Hi,

If you’re using KDE try ‘System Settings->Font Installer’.

Regards,
Barry.

You say you installed ‘suse’ - do you mean the Enterprise version and if so which version?

Or did you install a version of openSUSE, the community distribution, and if so which one?

Yes I’m using KDE. My apologies for the typos but the display is so bad I couldn’t see some of the letters.

I downloaded open suse and made a DVD image to install from. I’ll copy some fonts to a cd and install them tonight to see if it helps.

I’m not sure of the version but it was the one available for download last Saturday night. (I’m at work and can’t check it on the machine) so it should be 11.1.