Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where has graphics card adjustment gone in YAST?

Unhappy Where has graphics card adjustment gone in YAST?

I've got a 3GHz Atlon 64 desktop on which I've just installed Opensuse 11.2 RC1.(KDE4)

When I got rc1 installed (faster, and you fixed the partitioner, great) I end up with an unadjustable video display. (at 800X600)
    I'm using an Acer X193W monitor and a GEForce 6100 graphics card.

When I go to hardware in YAST there is no longer a section dealing with the video card and monitor.

I have discovered a display setting in the KDE desktop settings, but that doesn't seem to have any provision for setting drivers, etc.

What's going on?

Where do I reset my monitor to a reasonable display?

Default Re: Where has graphics card adjustment gone in YAST?

Its no longer in Yast2, its under the menu's under system> configuration> configure x11 system (sax2)

Apparently it might not be there in the 11.2 final, to prevent this from happening as the KDE monitor settings tool can screw things up join me on my openFATE request to keep Sax2 and its GUI available so we dont have to use terminals or manually edit xorg to get our needed monitor/ graphics card settings:

https://features.opensuse.org/308152

And vote down the request to take it out:
    https://features.opensuse.org/307250

just click on kicker / then type

sax2

in the search box at the top

Quote Originally Posted by dth2 View Post

sax2

Its actually called Kickoff.

He means the main menu by the way robertsmits, just in case you didnt know.

But yeh idiotically Sax2's GUI might be gone in the future and if openSUSE doesnt detect your graphics card you are stuck at low res and bad graphics performances unless you use the terminal.
    I think its nonsense, for new users this is a disaster as it means they are forced to use the terminal.
    One should not have to, I thought the goal of openSUSE was to have an easy to use feel to it, but resorting to terminals when it should not be needed is not what I call user friendly.
    its my biggest gripe on Ubuntu, if it fails to detect graphics cards you are forced to use workarounds in the terminal.\
    Sax2's GUI MUST remain

sax2

That might be true, but not user, especialy newbie, friendly. The way to configure your system hardware in openSUSE is most logicaly: YaST > Hardware > ... It is unimportant if there is a sax behind it as it is unimportant for many people that zipper is behin YaST > Software > ..., etc.

May be a DE may give the individual users a tool to vary on the default system settings, but the system settings (to be done by root) must be there on a logical place.
    Henk van Velden

sax2

Kicker ? What the hell is that? Do you mean the taskbar at the bottom? Clicking on that has no effect to bring up a search tool.

I can go to the run option and then type sax2 and it comes up, but it's not very intuitive for anyone used to many previous versions.

We should not have moved it from the hardware section in yast where people expect it to be found.

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    That might be true, but not user, especialy newbie, friendly. The way to configure your system hardware in openSUSE is most logicaly: YaST > Hardware > ... It is unimportant if there is a sax behind it as it is unimportant for many people that zipper is behin YaST > Software > ..., etc.

May be a DE may give the individual users a tool to vary on the default system settings, but the system settings (to be done by root) must be there on a logical place.
    Thanks for your comments Henk - I completely agree with you. I want my opensuse system to be fast, reliable and nice looking, but I'm not at all crazy about having tools I depend on moved about.

The KDE4 display tool just doesn't work for me - it has no settings for monitor or graphics card, for example. Lets just keep sax2, put it back where it belongs in YAST and dump the KDE4 adjustment tool.

Blog Entries

I can see this move is going to be extremely unpopular with some users who require manual configuration to obtain optimal settings for their display devices.

I guess ATI and NVIDIA users at least have the 'amdcccle' and 'nvidia-settings' GUI tools available if required.

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    I can see this move is going to be extremely unpopular with some users who require manual configuration to obtain optimal settings for their display devices.

I guess ATI and NVIDIA users at least have the 'amdcccle' and 'nvidia-settings' GUI tools available if required.
    Then attach the appropriate tool to YaST so that the newbie can get to it intuitively.

I predict an considerable amount of threads in the Forums about people that can not find how to configure their graphics card. Already now there are many threads about this phenomenon, including "I can not get to the GUI at all". Will all the the many answers "run sax2 in this way" will be obselete?
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

Then attach the appropriate tool to YaST so that the newbie can get to it intuitively.

I predict an considerable amount of threads in the Forums about people that can not find how to configure their graphics card. Already now there are many threads about this phenomenon, including "I can not get to the GUI at all". Will all the the many answers "run sax2 in this way" will be obselete?
    I completely agree with you Henk, and was going to say the same re anticipation of threads concerning graphics and monitor problems.

Hopefully, a replacement (yast) tool can be developed asap, or graphical sax2 reinstated for now.

My 2c worth...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast