Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cannot play music in Amarok

Default cannot play music in Amarok

I just installed 11.2 RC KDE version on my MacBook Pro as a virtual machine with VirtualBox. I have sound as evidenced by hearing the System sound at the end of the bootup sequence and also when playing uTube videos on Firefox. However, when attempting to play mp3 or mp4's on Amarok, a playlist is completely "played" (i.e. all the songs are completed) in about 10 sec, there is no sound, and no individual song actually shows it is playing in the progress bar. No radio station will play either. I originally thought the problem might be missing extensions, so I installed a bunch of gstreamer files that usually allow mp3's and 4's to play in rhythmbox (Gnome), but this made no difference either. Any idea what is wrong or what I should try next?

Default Re: cannot play music in Amarok

Quote Originally Posted by foxmg View Post
    I just installed 11.2 RC KDE version on my MacBook Pro as a virtual machine with VirtualBox. I have sound as evidenced by hearing the System sound at the end of the bootup sequence and also when playing uTube videos on Firefox. However, when attempting to play mp3 or mp4's on Amarok, a playlist is completely "played" (i.e. all the songs are completed) in about 10 sec, there is no sound, and no individual song actually shows it is playing in the progress bar. No radio station will play either. I originally thought the problem might be missing extensions, so I installed a bunch of gstreamer files that usually allow mp3's and 4's to play in rhythmbox (Gnome), but this made no difference either. Any idea what is wrong or what I should try next?
    I had a similar problem and solved it by installing some packages from Packman. See here:

11.2M8 - No sounds from Amarok on Lenovo Thinkpad R61 - openSUSE Forums
    --
    Davor Čengija

Thanks, Davor; this looks helpful. I followed the thread, but I am not an experienced openSUSE or KDE user and I don't know how to add the Packman repository to my repository list. Can you tell me how to do that? Thanks in advance.

Thanks, Davor; this looks helpful. I followed the thread, but I am not an experienced openSUSE or KDE user and I don't know how to add the Packman repository to my repository list. Can you tell me how to do that? Thanks in advance.
    Open Yast>Software repositories.

Click Add, select Specify URL, then Next.

Enter this url: Index of /suse/factory

Next, next, finish...

Then go to software installation and install libxine and related packages from Packman. That should be it.
    --
    Davor Čengija

Thanks again, Davor. This improved the situation, but did not completely solve it. Now radio streams play all right. In the case of mp's, they play, but at slower than normal speeds. I tried installing another media player (vlc) from the repository to see if the slow playing was Amarok-specific. VLC installed, but it won't start so there must be some conflict there.

At this point, I'd like to solve my slow sound problem before worrying about VLC. Any ideas on this one? I have experienced this problem before as a result of conflicts between pulse-audio and alsa in Ubuntu 9.10 beta, but I have no idea how to handle this in KDE and openSUSE. I also wondered whether there might be a conflict between gstreamer and gstreamer fluendo, but when I tried unchecking gstreamer non-fluendo packages, it wants to uninstall a host of other stuff.

Addition to previous message - I also tried playing the mp's in Kaffeine, but I still get the slow sound.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with pulse, alsa and other sound-related specifics.
    --
    Davor Čengija

you need to install:-

libxine1-codecs

from

Index of /pub/linux/packman/suse/11.2

Thanks, dth2, but unfortunately, that isn't the answer, as libxine1-codecs had already been installed. I now know that the problem has nothing to do with Amarok, as I installed Rhythmbox and got the same problem. Something in my sound settings is causing this slowdown in the playback independent of what player I use.

Blog Entries

Thanks, dth2, but unfortunately, that isn't the answer, as libxine1-codecs had already been installed. I now know that the problem has nothing to do with Amarok, as I installed Rhythmbox and got the same problem. Something in my sound settings is causing this slowdown in the playback independent of what player I use.
    I've been staying out of this thread as it involved installing openSUSE in a virtual session, and I have no experience. I typically install a Windoze product in a Virtual session as opposed to the other way around.

I suppose there is the possibility that this is pulse audio related. I do not know if it will help, but you could read up here in the audio troubleshooting guide step#7 on pulse audio problems: SDB:AudioTroubleshooting - openSUSE - pulse audio problems - step#7

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast