Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Can't play .wmv file with kaffeine

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dhaka,Bangladesh
    Posts
    251

    Default Can't play .wmv file with kaffeine

    Code:
    No plugin found to handle this resource (/media/sda7/file1.wmv)
    w32codec-all is instaled from pacmac repo.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    27,108
    Blog Entries
    40

    Default Re: Can't play .wmv file with kaffeine

    Quote Originally Posted by colao View Post
    Code:
    No plugin found to handle this resource (/media/sda7/file1.wmv)
    w32codec-all is instaled from pacmac repo.
    kaffeine gives you a choice of using the xine sound engine, or gstreamer sound engine. We need to know what engine you selected, and also what versions of xine and its dependencies you have installed. We tried to provide advise in our installation stickie openSUSE Forums - View Single Post - NEW Users - Suse-11.1 Pre-installation PLEASE READ and Multi-media and Restricted Format Installation Guide - openSUSE Forums , but many new users do not bother to look for our new user faq section, and they add way too many repositories, and totally mess up their multimedia.

    If you wish us to look at what you have installed, so we can see what might be wrong, please copy and paste this command into a terminal and post the output:
    Code:
    rpm --query --all 'libav*' 'libpostproc*' 'libswscale*' '*xine*' '*gst*' '*layer*' '*vlc*' | grep -v avahi | sort
    and also provide an indication as to what repositories you setup by providing the output of running in a terminal:
    Code:
    zypper lr -d
    or alternatively, to debug this your self, then work your way through this thread:
    Check your multimedia problem in ten steps - openSUSE Forums

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dhaka,Bangladesh
    Posts
    251

    Default Re: Can't play .wmv file with kaffeine

    Code:
    gst-fluendo-mp3-2-37.6
    gstreamer-0_10-0.10.21-3.11
    gstreamer-0_10-plugins-base-0.10.21-2.21.2
    gstreamer-0_10-plugins-good-0.10.10-3.22.1
    gstreamer-0_10-schroedinger-1.0.5-2.19
    gstreamer-0_10-utils-0.10.21-3.11
    gstreamer-utils-0.10.21-3.11
    libgstinterfaces-0_10-0-0.10.21-2.21.2
    libgstreamer-0_10-0-0.10.21-3.11
    libxine1-1.1.15-23.4.1
    libxine1-gnome-vfs-1.1.15-23.3.3
    libxine1-pulse-1.1.15-23.3.3
    phonon-backend-gstreamer-0_10-4.2.0-40.18
    xinetd-2.3.14-129.28
    Code:
    # | Alias           | Name                  | Enabled | Refresh | Priority | Type   | URI                                                   | Service
    --+-----------------+-----------------------+---------+---------+----------+--------+------------------------------------------------------------------+--------
    1 | mozilla         | mozilla               | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_11.1/ |
    2 | openSUSE_11.1-0 | openSUSE 11.1-0       | No      | Yes     |   99     | yast2  | dvd:///                                                   |
    3 | pacman_11.1     | pacman_11.1           | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://packman.mirrors.skynet.be/pub/packman/suse/11.1/          |
    4 | repo-debug      | openSUSE-11.1-Debug   | No      | Yes     |  100     | NONE   | http://download.opensuse.org/debug/distribution/11.1/repo/oss/   |
    5 | repo-non-oss    | openSUSE-11.1-Non-Oss | Yes     | Yes     |  100     | yast2  | http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/11.1/repo/non-oss/     |
    6 | repo-oss        | openSUSE-11.1-Oss     | Yes     | Yes     |  100     | yast2  | http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/11.1/repo/oss/         |
    7 | repo-source     | openSUSE-11.1-Source  | No      | Yes     |  100     | NONE   | http://download.opensuse.org/source/distribution/11.1/repo/oss/  |
    8 | repo-update     | openSUSE-11.1-Update  | Yes     | Yes     |   20     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/update/11.1/                        |

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    27,108
    Blog Entries
    40

    Default Re: Can't play .wmv file with kaffeine

    and ...
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    We need to know what engine you selected, .
    what did you select ?

  5. #5

    Default Re: Can't play .wmv file with kaffeine

    Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    what did you select ?
    Obviously the wrong xine library......

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    27,108
    Blog Entries
    40

    Default Re: Can't play .wmv file with kaffeine

    Quote Originally Posted by colao View Post
    Code:
    gst-fluendo-mp3-2-37.6
    gstreamer-0_10-0.10.21-3.11
    gstreamer-0_10-plugins-base-0.10.21-2.21.2
    gstreamer-0_10-plugins-good-0.10.10-3.22.1
    gstreamer-0_10-schroedinger-1.0.5-2.19
    gstreamer-0_10-utils-0.10.21-3.11
    gstreamer-utils-0.10.21-3.11
    libgstinterfaces-0_10-0-0.10.21-2.21.2
    libgstreamer-0_10-0-0.10.21-3.11
    libxine1-1.1.15-23.4.1
    libxine1-gnome-vfs-1.1.15-23.3.3
    libxine1-pulse-1.1.15-23.3.3
    phonon-backend-gstreamer-0_10-4.2.0-40.18
    xinetd-2.3.14-129.28
    Clearly from that you have not replaced the crippled Novell/SuSE-GmbH packaged versions of libxine with the Packman packaged versions of libxine. The same is true for gstreamer, ... you have not replaced the Novell/SuSE-GmbH packaged versions of gstreamer with the Packman packaged versions of gstreamer.

    You wish to play a .wmv file. That is a proprietary windows media format. openSUSE does not come packaged to play that, as that format is not free open source.

    If you wish to play that, you need to install a version of gstreamer and of libxine that is not crippled for proprietary formats. ... ie you need to replace the Novell/SuSE-GmbH packaged versions with Packman packaged versions.

    Quote Originally Posted by colao View Post
    Code:
    # | Alias           | Name                  | Enabled | Refresh | Priority | Type   | URI                                                   | Service
    --+-----------------+-----------------------+---------+---------+----------+--------+------------------------------------------------------------------+--------
    1 | mozilla         | mozilla               | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_11.1/ |
    2 | openSUSE_11.1-0 | openSUSE 11.1-0       | No      | Yes     |   99     | yast2  | dvd:///                                                   |
    3 | pacman_11.1     | pacman_11.1           | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://packman.mirrors.skynet.be/pub/packman/suse/11.1/          |
    4 | repo-debug      | openSUSE-11.1-Debug   | No      | Yes     |  100     | NONE   | http://download.opensuse.org/debug/distribution/11.1/repo/oss/   |
    5 | repo-non-oss    | openSUSE-11.1-Non-Oss | Yes     | Yes     |  100     | yast2  | http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/11.1/repo/non-oss/     |
    6 | repo-oss        | openSUSE-11.1-Oss     | Yes     | Yes     |  100     | yast2  | http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/11.1/repo/oss/         |
    7 | repo-source     | openSUSE-11.1-Source  | No      | Yes     |  100     | NONE   | http://download.opensuse.org/source/distribution/11.1/repo/oss/  |
    8 | repo-update     | openSUSE-11.1-Update  | Yes     | Yes     |   20     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/update/11.1/                        |
    OK, you should be able to update to the Packman packaged versions with those repositories in place.

    After that explanation, do you have any questions as to what you need to do?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dhaka,Bangladesh
    Posts
    251

    Default Re: Can't play .wmv file with kaffeine

    Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    and ...


    what did you select ?
    How would i select it?
    Probably it's xine-backend.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    27,108
    Blog Entries
    40

    Default Re: Can't play .wmv file with kaffeine

    Quote Originally Posted by colao View Post
    How would i select it?
    Probably it's xine-backend.
    In kaffeine: settings > player engine

    But be certain to update your gstreamer and libxine packaged applications to Packman packaged versions.

    If you go to YaST > Software > Software management, and look for versions with 'pm' in the version number, you will be able to spot the Packman packaged versions.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dhaka,Bangladesh
    Posts
    251

    Default Re: Can't play .wmv file with kaffeine

    It's kaffeine-xine.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    27,108
    Blog Entries
    40

    Default Re: Can't play .wmv file with kaffeine

    Quote Originally Posted by colao View Post
    It's kaffeine-xine.
    OK, then as you can see you had the Novell/SuSE-GmbH packaged xine installed, which does NOT support the proprietary .wmv. That is why it would not play.

    You need to replace the Novell/SuSE-GmbH packaged libxine with the packman packaged libxine. Also replace the Novell/SuSE-GmbH packaged kaffeine with the packman packaged kaffeine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •