Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu's and openSUSE's GNOME implementation

Default Ubuntu's and openSUSE's GNOME implementation

Recently i was testing Ubuntu 9.10 Beta and then i tested 11.2's GNOME. And i must say that Ubuntu's GNOME implementation is a lot more polished than SUSE's. And while i do not intend to move to gnome or Ubuntu then i must say it looks really nice and can understand Ubuntu's gnome users saying that Ubuntu is so nice. Fortunatelly i am hooked up to KDE 4.3.1 and am never going back to gnome

State your experiences with Ubuntu's gnome implementation.

P.S. It is funny that despite linux division in Novell gaining more money every year they still have so few people to work on it... We can see what a good team can do to the distro if they concentrate on something (Ubuntu and gnome). I really consider running Ubuntu 9.10 in a virtual machine to check it.
    How does a linux geek make love??

- rtfm; unzip; strip; touch; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; umount; zip; sleep;

Default Re: Ubuntu's and openSUSE's GNOME implementation

Does ubuntu gnome still have that brownie look about it?

Did you try kubuntu 9.10 in a vm (or real)?

I tried it in real as a live CD, after that i am testing it in a VM. It's not so brown anymore There are some shades of brown but it looks nice Login screen login looks great for example.

- rtfm; unzip; strip; touch; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; umount; zip; sleep;

Thanks BBR, ok on colour, but I think you may have missed the small k in my Kubuntu 9.10 question.

Quote Originally Posted by BenderBendingRodriguez View Post
    I tried it in real as a live CD, after that i am testing it in a VM. It's not so brown anymore There are some shades of brown but it looks nice Login screen login looks great for example.
    Seems Ubuntu didn't wash its panties enough as there are still visible skid marks left over

Also, GNOME?.... Wutz dat? O.o

You're right, i missed the k in the question. I am not intending to try kubuntu as their implementation of KDE was always lousy as hell. For me SUSE got great KDE, YaST that kicks ass and lots of repositories i could use

I tried last time kubuntu in 9.04 but it feels underloved

While KDE in ubuntu sucks then i must say Gnome shines. And i must admit they are going in the right direction with that distro.

P.S. Oh, one thing, i would really like to see openSUSE become a deb distro

BenderBendingRodriguez wrote:

> P.S. Oh, one thing, i would really like to see openSUSE become a deb
    > distro

auhm ???
    why did you think, this is important?
    if somebody wants it can use Debian, ubuntu, mint, 64 studio and much
    more...

--
    WBR

From what i've heard debian has better dependency resolving. I might be wrong but that's why ubuntu has for years live upgrades and SUSE not?

Quote Originally Posted by BenderBendingRodriguez View Post
    P.S. Oh, one thing, i would really like to see openSUSE become a deb distro
    So you really want a package format which had no real improvements for years (maybe there were some changes in the last few months/one year)and gives a lot of problems with consistency if one of the scripts is failing?

Search Debian/*Buntu forum of your choice for that, you will find a lot of funny threads which could be resolved in rpm with one command.

I certainly don't.

It's simple. If you like GNOME and hate KDE, by all means use Ubuntu. If you are a KDE fan and hate GNOME, then use openSUSE, or Kubuntu.
    By the way, the implementation of KDE 4.3 in Kubuntu 9.10 (the upcoming version) seems nice.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast