Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34

Thread: Disappointed in Opensuse.....

  1. #1

    Default Disappointed in Opensuse.....

    I have to say that I gave a good 4 months with this OS and have come to the conclusion that it is just not very good. Compared to others I have used which include Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Debian, Fedora and Crunchbang, Opensuse was by far the worst in fact, the only one I was extremely disappointed with. My biggest problems were Samba Server which is totally broken and the never-ending failed updates. The last update totally hosed my wireless and I never could get it working again. The final straw was trying to upgrade to 12.1. I know I should have done a clean install but I went to other forums where people claimed they had success upgrading through repositories. What a disaster! Now it is totally broken and I can't even log in.
    I'll attribute the failure of this OS to its connection with Microsoft I guess. LOL! Sorry guys but there are too many bugs to work out here. There are too many other good Linux OS out there to run.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    26,549
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: Disappointed in Opensuse.....

    This does not belong in "Forums Comments/Suggestions". I am going to move this to soap box forum area: .Soapbox

    Please, no one reply to this thread while it is in the process of being moved. I will advise when the thread is open again for posting.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    26,549
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: Disappointed in Opensuse.....

    Quote Originally Posted by jaws222 View Post
    I have to say that I gave a good 4 months with this OS and have come to the conclusion that it is just not very good. Compared to others I have used which include Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Debian, Fedora and Crunchbang, Opensuse was by far the worst in fact, the only one I was extremely disappointed with. My biggest problems were Samba Server which is totally broken and the never-ending failed updates. The last update totally hosed my wireless and I never could get it working again. The final straw was trying to upgrade to 12.1. I know I should have done a clean install but I went to other forums where people claimed they had success upgrading through repositories. What a disaster! Now it is totally broken and I can't even log in.
    I'll attribute the failure of this OS to its connection with Microsoft I guess. LOL! Sorry guys but there are too many bugs to work out here. There are too many other good Linux OS out there to run.
    This thread has now been moved to Soapbox and it is open again for posting.

    May I also take this opportunity as a moderator to remind all users of the forum rules. Insults are not permitted and I will take action against all who violate/push the rules.

    Thank you to all for your patience during the move.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Disappointed in Opensuse.....

    Sorry, I didn't mean this as an insult just my opinion. I thought you might like to know so you could improve the OS. Also did not know about the soapbox.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,481
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Disappointed in Opensuse.....

    Quote Originally Posted by jaws222 View Post
    Sorry, I didn't mean this as an insult just my opinion.
    I don't think that was implied. I think the moderator was more concerned about reactions from people who don't agree with you.

    My experience has been different. But I don't use samba, and I did a clean install of 12.1.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

  6. #6

    Default Re: Disappointed in Opensuse.....

    I see. Did you use 11.4 at all? Is 12.1 any better? I wouldn't mind using it but I spent more time trying to fix stuff in Opensuse than I spent with my other 5 OS combined. Not sure I want to go through all of the hassle.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Disappointed in Opensuse.....

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I don't think that was implied. I think the moderator was more concerned about reactions from people who don't agree with you.

    My experience has been different. But I don't use samba, and I did a clean install of 12.1.
    As a moderator on another forum, I picked up on that warning too. Nicely done, oldcpu.

    Like nrickert, I did a clean install. Not much choice in my situation. I had Linux Mint 12 installed with the KDE-Full package over that. It ran well, and I just smiled looking at all the issues the LM folks were having with Gnome 3, MSGE and MATE. It may be a released package, but many people there on their forums consider the release a beta. Simple things like editing the menu didn't work. You had to boot into MATE to edit the menu, then boot back into the Gnome 3 desktop if that's what you preferred.

    The KDE install over that worked fine...till I tried to uninstall Brassero and Nautilus. After that, it wouldn't boot except in WinXP. Knowing that I wouldn't be able to leave well enough alone and that I would try to clean up the installed software again someday...and hose up my system again, I went looking for a true Linux KDE version. Linux Mint has one for release 10, but nothing has been done for release 11, and 12 is just a broken promise at this point. LM13 is coming out in a few months, so you wonder how much effort will be put into a KDE version...and if a KDE version comes out, will it be simply a quickie release to satisfy the few remaining KDE users there, or will it be well thought out and bug-free? Judging from the past history, I would be very leery of installing it and depending on it.

    I did a clean install of openSUSE 12.1, keeping all my data in a separate partition so nothing was lost. It has worked like a champ and seems rock solid.

    I've also noted one other difference between Linux Mint and openSUSE. The forums. I posed a question on both forums regarding some sound issues I was having in Skype. I got an answer here on the openSUSE forum. On the Linux Mint forum, a moderator moved the thread to another section...but no one, not even the moderator, offered any help.

    This is just some facts and data from someone who has been through the pain of swapping distros recently. As always, YMMV.

    Chris

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: Disappointed in Opensuse.....

    On 12/29/2011 06:06 PM, jaws222 wrote:
    > Not sure I want to go through all of the hassle.


    then don't--use what works for you, i do.

    and, you said: "I thought you might like to know so you could improve
    the OS." and i wonder who think you are talking to here? for your
    information we here are users...if you wanna talk with the makers you
    need to go to where they are.

    --
    DD
    openSUSE®, the "German Engineered Automobiles" of operating systems!

  9. #9

    Default Re: Disappointed in Opensuse.....

    Quote Originally Posted by jaws222 View Post
    I see. Did you use 11.4 at all? Is 12.1 any better? I wouldn't mind using it but I spent more time trying to fix stuff in Opensuse than I spent with my other 5 OS combined. Not sure I want to go through all of the hassle.
    What does need to be fixed regarding samba in openSUSE? I had a problem too with nmb while booting in systemd (not system V). I fixed it and posted a workaround here: http://forums.opensuse.org/english/g...ml#post2418061

    I asked my wife to submit a bug report (because I'm not good at that) to the samba maintainer, who forwarded it to the systemd team:
    https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=735943

    Together we were able to isolate the problem and I bet it's going to be fix in the next release.
    It's the way Linux works. I use the other distros as well. To be honest, I can not tell which one is better. Using different distros help me to fix the other ones, but there is no winner IMO.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,825
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Disappointed in Opensuse.....

    Quote Originally Posted by jaws222 View Post
    I have to say that I gave a good 4 months with this OS and have come to the conclusion that it is just not very good. Compared to others I have used which include Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Debian, Fedora and Crunchbang, Opensuse was by far the worst in fact, the only one I was extremely disappointed with. My biggest problems were Samba Server which is totally broken and the never-ending failed updates. The last update totally hosed my wireless and I never could get it working again. The final straw was trying to upgrade to 12.1. I know I should have done a clean install but I went to other forums where people claimed they had success upgrading through repositories. What a disaster! Now it is totally broken and I can't even log in.
    I'll attribute the failure of this OS to its connection with Microsoft I guess. LOL! Sorry guys but there are too many bugs to work out here. There are too many other good Linux OS out there to run.
    Hmm. A post like this is almost useless. It rightly belongs in the soapbox, as this is a rant. There is no info about the repositories, which can cause issues if it's not done right. There is no info about the hardware. No info about any possible configuration, no info about any troubleshooting attempts, no info from logs. This is nothing more than a rant and an opinion. Not to say the opinion isn't valid, just there is no way of knowing what caused the issue.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •