Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3139404142 LastLast

Thread: My Take on Linux - Will it Ever Beat Windows?

Default Re: My Take on Linux - Will it Ever Beat Windows?

I know this is an old thread! but just to give you an idea of what happen in corporate america. I work for a large USA (international) corporation and we are still using XP. I work on the engineering department and sometimes help out as the IT guy. I will say that 75% of our employees do not know how to rigth click in the desktop and create a folder ... duuuhhh :-( Yes, the sadness of this is those are the same employees claiming that Linux is way to difficult. There should be a minimum computer test just to land a job.
    Arodlinux
    WARNING: I might say more than I know!

In opensuse.org.no-support.soapbox one with the name of arodlinux
    <arodlinux@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote...

>
    > I know this is an old thread! but just to give you an idea of what
    > happen in corporate america. I work for a large USA (international)
    > corporation and we are still using XP. I work on the engineering
    > department and sometimes help out as the IT guy. I will say that 75%
    > of our employees do not know how to rigth click in the desktop and
    > create a folder ... duuuhhh :-( Yes, the sadness of this is those are
    > the same employees claiming that Linux is way to difficult. There
    > should be a minimum computer test just to land a job.
    >
    >
    > --
    > Arodlinux
    > Windows 7 box: "virus included"
    > WARNING: I might say more than I know!
    > Best Windows Command: "format c:"
    > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > arodlinux's Profile:
    > http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=13616 View this thread:
    > http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=423660
    >

It appears you work for a company that is waiting for Windows 8 instead
    of using 7. Interesting.
    Our company, as far as i know, uses Linux as a foundation and on top is
    Windows since cooperate america uses Windows regardless.

Besides, people love what they know and what they don't know they are
    scared or afraid. I don't even know (but i don't know really) what big
    cooperation using Linux at all as a desktop.

---
    Euer Komputerfriek Joerg
    using KDE on 12.1 x64 and happy with a cup of real hot coffee....
    Need help? Call 207.252.3.96 (really)

It is true most large companies are still using XP; not sure why all companies have not upgraded to Windows 7. XP is a dog.

Because for large compaines to upgrade from XP to WIndows 7, they would most likely have to go through a hardware refresh (mega bucks if it's truly a large company). There are also certifications for corporate apps that would have to take place, and to upgrade >10,000 desktops from Windows XP to 7 (or even 8) would take a considerable amount of time.

I don't think that it's a question of wanting to upgrade, it's more a question of the amount of time and $$ involved.
    Main Machine: Dell Precision M6600 running openSUSE Leap 16
    Server: Dell PowerEdge SC1430 running SLES 15

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RichardET View Post
    It is true most large companies are still using XP; not sure why all companies have not upgraded to Windows 7. XP is a dog.
    Because it costs much money to change and they're still reeling from the GFC. But I agree XP is not a patch on win7. Also vista is not a patch on XP, which says a lot about vista.
    Last edited by swerdna; 09-Dec-2011 at 13:06.
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1(Beta) &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

Quote Originally Posted by katanacb View Post
    Because for large compaines to upgrade from XP to WIndows 7, they would most likely have to go through a hardware refresh (mega bucks if it's truly a large company). There are also certifications for corporate apps that would have to take place, and to upgrade >10,000 desktops from Windows XP to 7 (or even 8) would take a considerable amount of time.

I don't think that it's a question of wanting to upgrade, it's more a question of the amount of time and $$ involved.
    I have read a while ago an article (not sure if it was cnet or pc mag) where the author said that most companies waiting for Windows 8 to surface and wanting to upgrade then.
    XP is basically dying right now and support cost money and once the support is really gone, companies have to shell out even more money for support or updates etc.
    So not sure if the strategy of sitting out an upgrade is a wise one. But i am not an accountant (glad) and so i watch it with amusement how companies will do it in the end.

As far as MS strategy, i think they are winning still. Just take the Xbox as the entry to invade the living room. Works well for MS and considering that people need to pay monthly for the main feature (online) it bolsters their bottom line.
    Plus the emerging mobilphones and the cross integration of Windows 8 will help.

The only company that uses Linux in a broader sense that gets into peoples hand is Google (not sure if you can count Amazon), but otherwise there is no company that i can remember that plays any role in consumers mind.
    So you have Microsoft and Apple as the big players. Google is the third that plays a role but its lesser involved in actual hardware and therefore does not impact consumers that much. That is so far still left to third party companies.

It is a very academical question i think. No one knows for sure if Linux will ever beat Windows since there is no co-operation behind it (in the sense of consumer products) that can measure up to devices like from Apple or Microsoft.
    +++ ATH0

. . . . . . . .
    LOGOFF COMPLETE

Blog Entries

I count Amazon. The Kindle is Linux. I just read the 88 page document on the Kindle and it contains not just the Linux kernel, but gstreamer, gnutls, apache, some bsd stuff, wpa supplicant, and much much more. The Kindle Fire is kind of like an Android tablet.

I get it now. Maybe Microsoft should just adopt the slogan "We cater to retards". This would lock them up for 90% of the computer users in the world.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jaws222 View Post
    I get it now. Maybe Microsoft should just adopt the slogan "We cater to retards". This would lock them up for 90% of the computer users in the world.
    You can certainly state your opinion, but let's keep the insults out. Retards is an insult. It characterises people with low IQ's and and mentally disabled and inept. To say 90% of the computer users is retarted is just wrong.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jaws222 View Post
    Are you aware of what you are saying? I'm joining Jonathan_R here: please read the T&C and stop insulting others/groups.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3139404142 LastLast