Page 32 of 42 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: My Take on Linux - Will it Ever Beat Windows?

Default Re: My Take on Linux - Will it Ever Beat Windows?

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    Note the use of the personal pronoun (I), so it's a personal opinion. No stats required :-)
    He can think whatever he likes, even if it's only a personal 'feel good' factor about Linux. Positive thinking, I like it!
    Frankly, I thought that was obvious, so I didn't bother to disagree with his opinion, although I do, and wasn't expecting stats there. "Positive thinking" or fool's gold?

However, IMO his statement
    On mobile platforms linux is already exceeding windows.
    looks to me like a statement of fact that may be true. Hence my asking about stats.

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    IMO, this is a silly thread. And I think Linux does beat Windows, hands down.
    But on a purely statistical, desktop PC/home PC basis, I doubt it very much.
    At least we can agree about all of that.

caf4926 wrote:
    IMO, this is a silly thread. And I think Linux does beat Windows, hands down.
    But on a purely statistical, desktop PC/home PC basis, I doubt it very much.
    Totally agree. Even if Linux never will beat Windows it doesn't stop me from using 100% Linux. And IMO Linux beats windows anyway. But this is just my opinion.
    Desktop: Gigabyte GA-Z270-HD3 - Core i7 7700K - openSUSE Leap 42.2 KDE
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8770W - Core i7 3940XM - openSUSE Leap 42.2 KDE

Quote Originally Posted by RichardET View Post
    I do not have stats but the android phones are linux based; and India, China are big linux users. MS announced their win 7 phone? who will buy that?

I also want to say this whole thread is meaningless because it is not even the purpose of linux to "beat" MS;
    I wouldn't buy or be interested in a MS phone. I guess they have to try to do something about Apple and its successful iphone. I am way out of date on mobile phones, so I 'm glad you took a genuine question seriously. When I need to upgrade, I will take a serious look at android based phones, in particular their UK price compared to Apple.

Quote Originally Posted by gropiuskalle View Post
    Nokia is using Linux on their tablets and smartphones as well (Maemo / MeeGo), plus they own the Qt-framework (which KDE is based on), so they are strongly connected to the world of Linux actually.

Absolutely right. The direction of this thread is missing this very crucial point.
    What a dissapointment and i thought Linux is on the path of world domination.
    +++ ATH0

. . . . . . . .
    LOGOFF COMPLETE

Quote Originally Posted by yester64
    What a dissapointment and i thought Linux is on the path of world domination.
    It might be. Only it does not matter. It's just like Linus Torvalds himself said once:

Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side effect.
    It is a pretty funny statement, but also has a true core and says a lot about the attitude of the Linux community.

Quote Originally Posted by consused View Post
    I wouldn't buy or be interested in a MS phone. I guess they have to try to do something about Apple and its successful iphone. I am way out of date on mobile phones, so I 'm glad you took a genuine question seriously. When I need to upgrade, I will take a serious look at android based phones, in particular their UK price compared to Apple.
    Got one of those recently, HTC phone, it was pretty cheap.
    After cleaning all the service provider branding and unnecessary software, it's actually very good.
    HTC released the kernel source code and there are ways to install different operating systems.

Interesting feedback, thanks. Thats at least 2 forum users happy with HTC, so it will be on the research list when the time comes.

On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 16:36:01 +0000, finders wrote:

> HTC released the kernel source code and there are ways to install
    > different operating systems.

Oh, that's cool, I didn't know that - now I might have to go looking at
    the HTC site again. :-)

Jim

--
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

For a Long time Now Linux has beaten Windows, It beat UNIX in recent years and that is what worried SUN, When internet became Popular from about 1995 SUN was a Leading Provider
    of UNIX Servers. But a few years ago there was a fast Move from UNIX too Linux Servers and many left SUN. Then they Started Co-Op with MS. And Then Oracle Bought them Up.
    But this War between MS and the rest is not for the Benefit of the Users.
    Social Networking is changing all this. Server Traffic has been growing so fast that STANDARDS are needed and if MS does not join in they will find they are OUT.
    The Next Couple of years will be critical.

Hello!

I didn;t read all of the post in this thread. But regarding the title my take:

For Linux to take over all it needs is Linux users stop telling things like "I won't buy Adobe Photoshop becasue we have GIMP" or "Why should anyone using Linux ever buy Autodesk Maya when there is Blender?" and instead of pushing away more software providers to develop native Linux applications Linux users should say welcome, we are glad you join Linux. many people would like to jump to Linux world however they are bounded to Windows because simply simulation software on Linux doens;t provide the suitable experience simulating much needed software which is not available natively on Linux.

For example I am bounded to Windows because I have software that I need which is available for windows and mac os x only. I can;t afford Mac and would love to fully migrate to Linux, unfortunately software devs and marketing team doens;t see big enough auditory to buy their software. And this leaves me to use Windows against my wish. And I am not the only person like that. I talked to quite a lot of people who are in pretty much the same shoes.

So next time when pure free software only people jump into marketing surveys hitting them with negative think about people who wants to use Linux but can't because of your negative vote. These people cause hundreds of other people to still use Windows when they would like to migrate to Linux.

This is one of the biggest show stopper for Linux to become widely used that I see. Linux is used by movie industry and advanced technology related companies like NASA, but many doors are closed to simple people who simply needs a desktop OS and specific tools (not alternatives to them).

You may disagree with me but each time I post a feature request to provide native Linux version of the software, I get the reply from marketing team telling me that they don't see market space there, so they could invest their resources to develop a native Linux version. ( I am talking about a bit smaller companies than Autodesk or Adobe for example).

My couple of cents here.

Page 32 of 42 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast