Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nvidia stopped working after upgrade

Default Nvidia stopped working after upgrade

I did an update in yast yesterday, and now my Nvidia drivers don't seem to be working. To my knowledge, neither the kernel or the Nvidia drivers were updated as part of the update, so I'm perplexed.

Here's what happens:

- When I boot the computer, I get a blank screen (the monitor thinks there is no signal and immediately shuts off).
    - If I enter a new session (Ctrl+Alt+F1) and run "init 3" and then do anything to start the gui (IE "sax2 -r", "startx", "init 5") I get the same blank screen and monitor shutdown.
    - If I switch to the generic driver ("sax2 -r -m 0=nv") I'm able to get back into KDE and everything works fine.

I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling the nvidia drivers using both the "easy" and "hard" ways and everything has the same result, including the drivers downloaded from the Nvidia site.

Opensuse 11.1 running on AMD Athlon X2-64
    Kernel - 20080210_2.6.27.19_3.2-2.1.6-x86_64
    Nvidia driver - 185.18.36-7.1-x86_64
    Nvidia kernel module - 185.18.36_2.6.27.29_0.1-6.1-x86_64

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I don't know where logs are stored that might shed info on this, so please let me know and I'll post them.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Nvidia stopped working after upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by queequeg View Post
    I did an update in yast yesterday, and now my Nvidia drivers don't seem to be working. To my knowledge, neither the kernel or the Nvidia drivers were updated as part of the update, so I'm perplexed.

Here's what happens:

- When I boot the computer, I get a blank screen (the monitor thinks there is no signal and immediately shuts off).
    - If I enter a new session (Ctrl+Alt+F1) and run "init 3" and then do anything to start the gui (IE "sax2 -r", "startx", "init 5") I get the same blank screen and monitor shutdown.
    - If I switch to the generic driver ("sax2 -r -m 0=nv") I'm able to get back into KDE and everything works fine.

I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling the nvidia drivers using both the "easy" and "hard" ways and everything has the same result, including the drivers downloaded from the Nvidia site.

Opensuse 11.1 running on AMD Athlon X2-64
    Kernel - 20080210_2.6.27.19_3.2-2.1.6-x86_64
    Nvidia driver - 185.18.36-7.1-x86_64
    Nvidia kernel module - 185.18.36_2.6.27.29_0.1-6.1-x86_64

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I don't know where logs are stored that might shed info on this, so please let me know and I'll post them.
    Do these match?
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

That is indeed the problem. I once had the same issue. As long as both do not match it will not work, unless you install the nvidia drivers from the RUN package directly from NVidia. Those will be compiled against your running kernel.

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    Do these match?
    I'm very sorry, but it appears there was a typo in my original post. (I typed them out rather than cut/paste.) Here is the Kernel etc. versions according to Yast:

Kernel - 2.6.27.29-0.1.1-x86_64
    Nvidia Kernel Module - 185.18.36_2.6.27.29_0.1-6.1-x86_64
    Nvidia Driver - 185.18.36-7.1-x86_64

That is indeed the problem. I once had the same issue. As long as both do not match it will not work, unless you install the nvidia drivers from the RUN package directly from NVidia. Those will be compiled against your running kernel.
    Thank you, but I did try the downloaded run package (the "hard way") and it did not improve anything.

Blog Entries

If it were me, I would remove the nvidia repos, uninstall the driver. Download the latest driver from nvidia and put it in /home/username*
    Also download the beta driver and put it in a folder Eg; /home/username*/nvidia

Follow this guide and try again:

Alright so here is how to install the nvidia driver manually, in case the one in the repo doesn't work or u just want to use the latest.
    Go to Yast>Software>Software Management
    Search for and install if you don't have these:
    make
    linux-kernel-headers
    gcc
    kernel-source

Now download the latest Nvidia driver:
    Place the file in your /home/username
    Now restart and at the boot screen, pause the boot by moving the down button, then move back up and clear any text in the boot arguments by holding backspace. Then just type the number: 3
    At the login
    Type "root" then enter and then your root password and press enter.
    now type
    cd /home/username
    *Now remember you can use the {TAB} key to auto complete
    so type:
    sh NVIDIA{TAB}
    and the whole file name should auto complete
    eg: sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-185.18.36-pkg1.run
    Follow the installer and let it compile the kernel module for you.
    Say Yes to everything
    Use TAB to move around
    reboot
    Tumbleweed_KDE

If it were me, I would remove the nvidia repos, uninstall the driver. Download the latest driver from nvidia and put it in /home/username*
    Also download the beta driver and put it in a folder Eg; /home/username*/nvidia

Follow this guide and try again:

Thank you for the fast response. I followed the instructions you gave and removed the Nvidia repos. I then tried both the "latest" driver (185.18.36) and the latest "beta" driver (190.32) using your instructions, and neither of them fixed the problem. (Computer still boots to blank screen and monitor immediately shuts off)

When I install the drivers using the Nvidia downloads, they don't show up in Yast once installed. Is this normal?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Blog Entries

I noticed a friend of mine posted guide a day or so ago
    NVIDIA latest beta for latest cards 'the hard way' - openSUSE Forums

Check it out.

I think the manual driver should show in Yast, but I stand to be corrected.
    Tumbleweed_KDE

Quote Originally Posted by LRE View Post
    As long as both do not match it will not work, unless you install the nvidia drivers from the RUN package directly from NVidia. Those will be compiled against your running kernel.
    No, this is not correct.

If a driver from a kmp-package matches a running kernel is not automatically bound to the exact same version.

(And especially for nvidia repo this was very often the case as they do not always refresh/rebuild their kmp-packages.)

Kernel Module Packages - openSUSE

Quote Originally Posted by queequeg View Post
    Kernel - 2.6.27.29-0.1.1-x86_64
    Nvidia Kernel Module - 185.18.36_2.6.27.29_0.1-6.1-x86_64
    Nvidia Driver - 185.18.36-7.1-x86_64
    Insufficient information without the respective kernel flavors (or using the full package names).

Quote Originally Posted by Akoellh View Post
    Insufficient information without the respective kernel flavors (or using the full package names).
    The package name for my kernel is "kernel-default" and I made sure the Nvidia drivers from the repo were "default" as well.

I removed the Nvidia repo in the last step, so I can't tell you what the nvidia driver package name is anymore. (Per my previous post, the "manual install" drivers don't show up in Yast after install for some reason. Is there a way to check what is installed?).

caf4926: Thanks again, I'll follow those "alternate" instructions and post the results.

I noticed a friend of mine posted guide a day or so ago
    NVIDIA latest beta for latest cards 'the hard way' - openSUSE Forums

Check it out.

I think the manual driver should show in Yast, but I stand to be corrected.
    Followed these instructions, and the same result occurs (blank screen with monitor shutdown at sax2 command).

However, when I did the init 5 && exit, instead of going blank the whole screen started flashing solid colors. It did this until I hit Ctrl+Alt+F1. It's something new at least. Any ideas?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast