Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: 11.2 RC1: Oh dear!

  1. #1

    Default 11.2 RC1: Oh dear!

    Just installed RC1 and it's a bit of a mess.

    Graphics are messy to start with but use of SaX2 - without changing any
    settings - seems to settle things down. ATI Radeon driver problems?

    Kontact crashes as soon as I try to read any mail or news. I installed all
    the debug software but when I try to save the crash message I get "Could not
    start process. Cannot talk to klauncher. Not connected to D-Bus server."
    Useful!

    After the Kontact debug crash, everything seizes up and a hard boot becomes
    necessary.


    --
    Graham P Davis, Bracknell, Berks., UK. E-mail: newsman not newsboy
    "I wear the cheese. It does not wear me."

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,857
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: 11.2 RC1: Oh dear!

    Starnge. I have none of these issues. Actually have to find more than 1 issue (super user file manager for Dolphin doesn't work).

    So far it's incredible !

    Install was 16 mins and that's with a load of extra stuff. Boot time is quicker than 11.1 @ 17secs, not bad for my old Lappy.
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  3. #3

    Default Re: 11.2 RC1: Oh dear!

    caf4926 wrote:

    > Starnge. I have none of these issues. Actually have to find more than 1
    > issue (super user file manager for Dolphin doesn't work).


    I'm wondering whether it could all be due to a dodgy graphics driver.
    Another machine, with an nVidia card, had similar graphic problems at M7 as
    my ATI machine showed but went away at M8. Seems OK at RC1 but it's an
    update from M8, not a clean install. I'd better get on with installing RC1
    from scratch on that machine as well and see what happens.

    --
    Graham P Davis, Bracknell, Berks., UK. E-mail: newsman not newsboy
    "I wear the cheese. It does not wear me."

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    27,108
    Blog Entries
    40

    Default Re: 11.2 RC1: Oh dear!

    I'm quite curious to read if there are many graphic problems with 11.2 RC1 (and indeed the earlier milestone releases).

    The way in which graphic drivers are configured in 11.2 is a departure from 11.1 and earlier openSUSE versions. Far less importance is placed on the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and there is far more automatic configuration of the graphics.

    I guess time will tell how will this new approach turns out. Is it an immediate step forward in ease of configuration? Or is it a step sideways or back as a prelude to a step forward ? ...

    11.2 could prove to be an interesting release.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    32,317
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: 11.2 RC1: Oh dear!

    Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu
    I'm quite curious to read if there are many graphic problems with 11.2
    RC1 (and indeed the earlier milestone releases).

    The way in which graphic drivers are configured in 11.2 is a departure
    from 11.1 and earlier openSUSE versions. Far less importance is placed
    on the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and there is far more automatic
    configuration of the graphics.

    I guess time will tell how will this new approach turns out. Is it an
    immediate step forward in ease of configuration? Or is it a step
    sideways or back as a prelude to a step forward ? ...

    11.2 could prove to be an interesting release.
    Hi
    Since M5 or M6 I've had now issues with this machine and intel
    graphics, gnome/compiz works fine from the get go.

    RC2 I think I'm going to give KDE4 a go again

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 11.2 RC 1 (i586) Kernel 2.6.31.3-1-desktop
    up 1:45, 1 user, load average: 0.28, 0.28, 0.28
    ASUS eeePC 1000HE ATOM N280 1.66GHz | GPU Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    235

    Default Re: 11.2 RC1: Oh dear!

    Upgraded from M8 a few hours ago and so far everything works.

    Very easy upgrade.

    Dolphin-Super User and Kontact both work fine for me.
    P5N-E SLI, Core2Duo E6850 @ 3GHZ, 2 GB DDR2 800MHZ
    EVGA 8800GTS 320MB, 2x320GB HDD
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

  7. #7

    Default Re: 11.2 RC1: Oh dear!

    Graham P Davis wrote:

    > caf4926 wrote:
    >
    >> Starnge. I have none of these issues. Actually have to find more than 1
    >> issue (super user file manager for Dolphin doesn't work).

    >
    > I'm wondering whether it could all be due to a dodgy graphics driver.
    > Another machine, with an nVidia card, had similar graphic problems at M7
    > as my ATI machine showed but went away at M8. Seems OK at RC1 but it's an
    > update from M8, not a clean install. I'd better get on with installing RC1
    > from scratch on that machine as well and see what happens.
    >


    Done that - eventually! I get very annoyed when, part way through the
    installation, I get told to provide CD-0. After clicking "continue" several
    times, I resort to shouting at the machine, "what do you think you've been
    reading the data from so far you stupid [various expletives deleted]", but
    it doesn't help. In this case I eventually gave up and ran a check on the
    DVD which, of course, it passed with flying colours, and then all was OK.

    Anyway, there were no repeats of the failures and graphics problems on this
    new installation - bar those which almost always happen with nVidia. Looks
    like the ATI driver but I've still something else I must try - setting up a
    new user in case there's something in the particular user settings that 11.2
    doesn't like.

    --
    Graham P Davis, Bracknell, Berks., UK. E-mail: newsman not newsboy
    "I wear the cheese. It does not wear me."

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Korneuburg, Austria
    Posts
    177

    Default Re: 11.2 RC1: Oh dear!

    Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    I guess time will tell how will this new approach turns out. Is it an immediate step forward in ease of configuration? Or is it a step sideways or back as a prelude to a step forward ? ...
    It works great on all of my computers and notebooks.
    I'm especially impressed that it works just fine with the propertiery nvidia driver.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Mexico and Sweden
    Posts
    1,659

    Default Re: 11.2 RC1: Oh dear!

    Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    I'm quite curious to read if there are many graphic problems with 11.2 RC1 (and indeed the earlier milestone releases).

    The way in which graphic drivers are configured in 11.2 is a departure from 11.1 and earlier openSUSE versions. Far less importance is placed on the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and there is far more automatic configuration of the graphics.

    I guess time will tell how will this new approach turns out. Is it an immediate step forward in ease of configuration? Or is it a step sideways or back as a prelude to a step forward ? ...

    11.2 could prove to be an interesting release.
    Just installed RC1 with on board SIS660 video. The display runs off the screen and Yast does not have a Monitor or Display option under Hardware. Running Sax2 from the console, it told me it could not connect to my graphics display, started to run but could not change anything. The settings are for generic VESA as my particular Acer monitor is not listed.

    It's hard to configure anything when the selection buttons are off the screen.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Mexico and Sweden
    Posts
    1,659

    Default Re: 11.2 RC1: Oh dear!

    And yes, I verified the md5sum on the DVD.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •