Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to config YaST2 in 11.1 to update to Factory?

Question How to config YaST2 in 11.1 to update to Factory?

I'm using 11.1 for sometime, now I want to upgrade to Factory, so I added the Factory software sources listed here :
    Factory Distribution - openSUSE

And then I disabled all the 11.1 sources, however YaST2 now says there's no update sources and can't check for software updates, it seems it's pre-configured to only check software updates in the 11.1's update repository.

So is there any method to config YaST2 in 11.1 so it can automatically checks updates from the Factory repositories to upgrade the system to Factory? Thanks.

Blog Entries

Default Re: How to config YaST2 in 11.1 to update to Factory?

This way you'll likely run into trouble. Dep. conflicts etc.
    First clear this: Yast2 is NOT configured to use only 11.1 repos.

What you can do: download a Factory iso, burn it to disk, backup all necessary ( /etc, mysql databases etc ), perform a clean install.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Question Re: How to config YaST2 in 11.1 to update to Factory?

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    This way you'll likely run into trouble. Dep. conflicts etc.
    First clear this: Yast2 is NOT configured to use only 11.1 repos.

What you can do: download a Factory iso, burn it to disk, backup all necessary ( /etc, mysql databases etc ), perform a clean install.
    The thing is, I have installed quite some third party stuffs so I don't want to do a clean install. Also the wiki article says "You should be able to update to the current Factory distribution from any other openSUSE version". So how to do it?

I'm not sure what you mean by "Yast2 is NOT configured to use only 11.1 repos", so is there any way to make it update the system using the Factory repos (which I already added to the software sources), instead of telling me "no active update repository"?

Quote Originally Posted by hellopeach View Post
    The thing is, I have installed quite some third party stuffs so I don't want to do a clean install.
    Then don't upgrade unless you are 100% shure this "stuff" is available for 11.2/Factory.

I'm using 11.1 for sometime, now I want to upgrade to Factory, so I added the Factory software sources listed here :
    Factory Distribution - openSUSE

And then I disabled all the 11.1 sources, however YaST2 now says there's no update sources and can't check for software updates, it seems it's pre-configured to only check software updates in the 11.1's update repository.

So is there any method to config YaST2 in 11.1 so it can automatically checks updates from the Factory repositories to upgrade the system to Factory? Thanks.
    [IMG]file:///tmp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]A clean install would be a lot easier. Software.openSUSE.org

While a update from 11.1 is possible I don't think you will save any bandwidth and I hate to think of all the dependancy issues you will run into. You do have a separate home partition?

Quote Originally Posted by Akoellh View Post
    Then don't upgrade unless you are 100% shure this "stuff" is available for 11.2/Factory.
    by third-party stuff I mean non-SUSE stuffs that I installed on my own, that I just compile/install them with install scripts. I'd really hate to do a clean install and then go all over the internet and download/compile/install them again.

by third-party stuff I mean non-SUSE stuffs that I installed on my own, that I just compile/install them with install scripts. I'd really hate to do a clean install and then go all over the internet and download/compile/install them again.
    Then stay on 11.1, because you will most likely have to recompile a lot of that stuff after the upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by dale14846 View Post
    [IMG]file:///tmp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]A clean install would be a lot easier. Software.openSUSE.org

While a update from 11.1 is possible I don't think you will save any bandwidth and I hate to think of all the dependancy issues you will run into. You do have a separate home partition?
    Quote Originally Posted by Akoellh View Post
    Then stay on 11.1, because you will most likely have to recompile a lot of that stuff after the upgrade.
    well, I have my whole drive backed up, so I don't mind if the system breaks after the upgrade, I can just ghost it back under ten minutes. and I have unlimited ADSL plan so I don't mind the bandwidth.

What I want to know is simply this: after I add all the Factory repos and disable the 11.1 repos, is there some settings or configuration files I can modify so that YaST will upgrade the whole system to Factory while I can just go to sleep, and the next morning if the system breaks, I can just ghost the backup back, and if it works, all the better.

well, I have my whole drive backed up, so I don't mind if the system breaks after the upgrade, I can just ghost it back under ten minutes. and I have unlimited ADSL plan so I don't mind the bandwidth.

What I want to know is simply this: after I add all the Factory repos and disable the 11.1 repos, is there some settings or configuration files I can modify so that YaST will upgrade the whole system to Factory while I can just go to sleep, and the next morning if the system breaks, I can just ghost the backup back, and if it works, all the better.
    If you have the factory / 11.2 repositories enabled running zypper dup should work in yast update all unconditionally be prepared to spend a little time resolving issues.

Quote Originally Posted by dale14846 View Post
    If you have the factory / 11.2 repositories enabled running zypper dup should work in yast update all unconditionally be prepared to spend a little time resolving issues.
    Thanks a lot, I did "export ZYPP_ARIA2C=1" and "zypper dup", and it upgrades to Factory/11.2 with little trouble, I can boot into the system no problem and all applications work nicely so far.

However when I go to YaST and select online update, it still says "No update repository configured yet", and takes me to the update configuration panel, where it shows nothing about configuring update repository.

So anyway to configure YaST in the now Factory/11.2 system to use the Factory repository as update repository, or do I have to run terminal and manually do "zypper up" every time?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast