Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: XEN does not boot into X Windows

Default XEN does not boot into X Windows

Most of the time when I install XEN on openSUSE 11.1 and SLES 11, the XEN kernel starts in a terminal rather than with X Windows. I have installed XEN during initial installation and with Yast after installation, both directly on the hardware and in Hyper-V. Does anyone know why this occurs?

I don't have this problem with SLES 10. I am too frustrated to restart all the systems to provide exact details and hope this will be enough information. It is possible that it is related to the degree to which I performed online updates on the systems before installing XEN.

Thanks,

Rich

Default Re: XEN does not boot into X Windows

11.2 RC2 iso
    Dell XPS 430
    Matrox M9120 Plus LP PCIe x1 dual-head
    Nvidia GT200b (GeForce GTX 285) PCIe x1 dual-head

When I boot using the kernel automatically added by choosing "Install hypervisor and tools", it waits at tty1 for a login.

If I do startx it fails with no screens found.

When I run sax2 -a, it just sits there until I Ctrl-C it.

If I do X -configure, it fails with caught signal 11- aborting.

When I boot using the original kernel from the iso, all's well- except I can't use xen.

What does one do about this?

11.2 will boot into a desktop using the xen kernel installed by yast
    Puzzled Penguin my donkey!
    Disgruntled user is more like it.

Hi ElllisD,
    did you also install the closedsource drivers from nvidia?

If this works in 11.2 I'll be very hapy :-)
    Since until now the combination original nvidia driver + xen kernel did not work without many tweaking.

I have updated a 11.1 box to 11.2 and found that the NVIDIA repository for 11.2 lacks the "nvidia-gfxG02-kmp-xen-xxxKERNELxxx.x86_64.rpm". My default kernel runs fine. I'm going to wait to see if they update the repo before I break anything ;-)

resettarget NNTP User

Quote Originally Posted by Alyarbank View Post
    I have updated a 11.1 box to 11.2 and found that the NVIDIA repository for 11.2 lacks the "nvidia-gfxG02-kmp-xen-xxxKERNELxxx.x86_64.rpm". My default kernel runs fine. I'm going to wait to see if they update the repo before I break anything ;-)
    Yeah I also think a nvidia-xxx-xen-xxx driver is necessary for opensuse 11.2 to boot Xen kernel.

With opensuse 11.1 I can boot Xen kernel with nvidia driver and make dual monitor work fine. (I installed nvidia-xxx-xen-xxx driver.)

But on the same machine, opensuse 11.2 can not boot Xen kernel with nvidia kernel it stops at command line and reports can not load module nvidia. I think the reason is that there is no nvidia-xxx-xen-xxx driver installed.

Anyone has information on whether there will be a nvidia-xen driver or when can we get it? Thanks.

Hmm,

Yeah, no opensuse xen driver for nvidia. If you download the driver from nvidia (NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-190.42-pkg2) and make module, you get

Code:
    FATAL: modpost: GPL-incompatible module nvidia.ko uses GPL-only symbol 'xen_features'
    So no opensuse driver, and the nvidia vanilla driver won't link.

Does anyone know of a way to stop modpost caring about GPL infringements?

I haven't seen much on Google about this issue. Most of the hits are related to prior releases of 11.0 etc. I'm sure glad that I discovered this issue before updating my other boxes. I'll try contacting Nvidia support to see if they have any news on this, if so I'll report it back to you guys.

I've submitted a question about this to the Nvidia Support Team. I have received an aut-reply stating I should receive an answer within 24 Hrs.

I'll keep you posted ;-)

Well they have sent me an email explaining they are researching my query. And I should receive a response within 24 Hrs. (Again) Hopefully we'll get an answer soon.

BTW-heres the question I sent them:
    Hello, I want to know if this driver supports openSUSE 11.2 XEN Kernel at present? I browsed the Nvidia repositories for openSUSE 11.1 and 11.2 and noticed that the xen driver is currently not present in the 11.2 repository. Will there be a xen driver in the future? Or should I just run the installer under the xen-kernel to configure the driver for use in Xen?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast