Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie question, Internet connection that is using a .exe

Question Newbie question, Internet connection that is using a .exe

Hello!
    I`m sorry if there is another thread like mine, but i have some questions regarding a connection to the internet.
    My ISP has implemented a login/access software wich we can connect to the internet. This application requires a username, password and a CNP( numerical personal code, something on our id cards). This program has to run at every start, and it installs itself. I know that i cannot run it in linux ( not talking about installing ) My friend tried what I`ve said and gave him some errors in wine ( required some gecko files). For a software is`s piece of ****.
    I have a router ( Siemens Gigaset SE361 Wlan) and two computers. A pc running windows xp sp3, connected by cable, for my family, and Asus X58L notebook connected by wifi. Both receive dynamic IP`s from the router.
    One of my quoestions is: Can I access the internet in linux by wifi, if my pc is running, without that application?
    How can I do that?
    Any advice is welcome. ( I cannot change my ISP, my contract is for one year and i don't have the necessary money to give up that contract).
    Thank you very much and I`m sorry if I have wasted your time with this thread!
    Have a nice day!

Now I`m runnig Windows 7 as main OS because I have no internet in linux.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Newbie question, Internet connection that is using a .ex

This has be a load of old codswallop. Even if it were actually true as you describe. I would say you can leave your ISP because they just changed the terms of the contract and made your computer useless because You don't use windows!
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

I`ve thought about leaving, but right now I don't have the necessary amount of money. Thank`s for your answer!

Default Re: Newbie question, Internet connection that is using a .exe

* costy001,

a lot of providers here give you some software doing similar things, but in fact they just configure network settings for you. If you google for your provider's name and "Linux", maybe you'll find some useful hints.

Good luck

Uwe

Blog Entries

Tell your ISP, you cannot run their software on your Linux computer. It's time to get to the point with them and don't mince your words!
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

What buckesfeld said. The software that comes from the ISP is typically just an easy-config utility that pokes the required values into the Modem. Unless your ISP is doing something unusual, you should be able to get the needed info to set up networking yourself. Do a Google search like

Code:
    +linux +'name of my ISP'
    ... and see what you get.

It sounds like the ISP's software may be doing some access control stuff -- it's doing the DHCP for you -- id'ing itself to the router, then fetching an IP address. But you should be able to get around that.

I also agree, by the way, that you need to complain to them about receiving Windows-only software. They need to know that you can't use it.

Who is your ISP?

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    This has be a load of old codswallop. Even if it were actually true as you describe. I would say you can leave your ISP because they just changed the terms of the contract and made your computer useless because You don't use windows!
    I don't like it when ISPs do this, either, and I agree that we should complain. (I do.) But if costy001's contract is like most of them, it guarantees almost nothing and probably contains a *specific* provision that they will only support Windows. Earthlink was like that when I was with them a few years back. They flatly said, "we only support Windows, thanks for calling, goodbye."

Just guessing that to establish the connection requires the logon but after the connection is made shouldn't any computer connected to the router be able to access the 'net? Also though I only vaguely recall Windows stuff, a ifconfig could be used to see what the details were. Might look through your Internet settings under MS and see what the connection setup is. It may be that you just need to plug the details into the network device module in YaST.

Smile Re: Newbie question, Internet connection that is using a .ex

The main settings gave by ISP were put into the router settings, and the laptop and pc who connect still need to use that software.( when I open my pc/laptop is says "router identified-connected"). I could give you guys some screenshots to make an idea.
    I know that legally I cannot bypass this to have an internet connection in openSUSE ( I don't have the necessary programming knowledge to read that software, or to add some lines, I guess you got it.
    Thank you all for your time viewing and answering to this problem.
    Have a nice day/night!
    Although any discussion on this matter is welcomed!

My ISP is a local one from Romania . SC iNET Expert SRL ( www.inetexpert.ro )

Blog Entries

Default Re: Newbie question, Internet connection that is using a .exe

Quote Originally Posted by costy001
    The main settings gave by ISP were put into the router settings, and the
    laptop and pc who connect still need to use that software.( when I open
    my pc/laptop is says "router identified-connected"). I could give you
    guys some screenshots to make an idea.
    I know that legally I cannot bypass this to have an internet
    connection in openSUSE ( I don't have the necessary programming
    knowledge to read that software, or to add some lines, I guess you got
    it.
    Thank you all for your time viewing and answering to this problem.
    Have a nice day/night!
    Although any discussion on this matter is welcomed!

My ISP is a local one from Romania . SC iNET Expert SRL (
    www.inetexpert.ro )
    Hi
    Are you sure it's just not your wireless not connecting to the router
    to get the ip address, dns etc?

--
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.29-0.1-default
    up 4 days 21:59, 2 users, load average: 0.09, 0.40, 0.68
    GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 190.18

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast