Thread: Samba - limit the size of shared folder size

Rebecz NNTP User

Smile Samba - limit the size of shared folder size

Hye,

I am using OpenSuse 11.1. I installed samba and the version is 3.2.7-11.3.2.

My samba setup was successful. I can view my share folder in another Windows XP computer which is in the same network.

Now i want to limit the size for shared folder. For example:- limiting a user to access only 20mb size for a shared folder.

I tried modifying the fstab in /etc using quota command. But when i restart, repair filesystem appeared. So i used command to copy back the original fstab file.Maybe the method i used was wrong.

Can u plz guide me the proper way?

I just want to limit the size of shared folder access.

Thank you.

Rebecz NNTP User

Default Re: Samba - limit the size of shared folder size

ooppss sorry..

i should state the problem like this..

For example:-

A user from windows XP wanted to copy a folder into linux-pc shared folder. The user can only copy a folder within 20mb size range. If the folder size is above 20mb, the user cannot copy the folder. How can i do this using Samba?

Rebecz NNTP User

Question Re: Samba - limit the size of shared folder size

Hye again...

My smb.conf file is like this..
    Code:
    [global]
    add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd  -c Machine -d /var/lib/nobody -s /bin/false %m$
    domain logons = Yes
    domain master = Yes
    os level = 65
    preferred master = Yes
    netbios name = Samba_Server
    workgroup = Samba_PC079
    usershare max shares = 100

[netlogon]
    comment = Network Logon Service
    path = /var/lib/samba/netlogon
    write list = root

[everyone]
    path = /home/su/Documents/
    valid users = @admins, root, rebecca
    write list = @admins, root, rebecca
    read only = No
    guest ok = yes

[SU]
    path = /home/su
    guest ok = yes
    read only = no
    my samba basic setup is successful where the files and folders that i set can be viewed accessed in another PC in the same network. But, now i do not know how to limit the size of shared folder access.

i tried using quota command, but repair filesystem appeared. Plz guide me as im new to samba and linux.

my /etc/fstab file is like this..
    this is the original fstab..
    Code:
    /dev/mapper/ddf1_GGRAID_part6 swap                 swap       defaults              0 0
    /dev/mapper/ddf1_GGRAID_part7 /                    ext3       acl,user_xattr        1 1
    /dev/mapper/ddf1_GGRAID_part5 /boot                ext3       acl,user_xattr        1 2
    /dev/mapper/ddf1_GGRAID_part8 /home                ext3       acl,user_xattr        1 2
    proc                 /proc                proc       defaults              0 0
    sysfs                /sys                 sysfs      noauto                0 0
    debugfs              /sys/kernel/debug    debugfs    noauto                0 0
    usbfs                /proc/bus/usb        usbfs      noauto                0 0
    devpts               /dev/pts             devpts     mode=0620,gid=5       0 0
    Please help...

How can i limit the size of shared folder so that samba users can only copy files or folders in limited size.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Rebecz; 13-Oct-2009 at 18:04. Reason: make it more accurate