Is openSUSE ready for the return of s_f_a?

I ran away from openSUSE 11.1 when the lower panel freaked out and the icons were disappearing. I have been away for months trying out new distributions; ubuntu, xubuntun, Mandriva, Vector Linux, Linux Mint, CentOS and sidux. But none of them fits me. openSUSE 11.2 seems promising but I need to know one thing before I install it. Will FF open a real PDF reader when you click on a .pdf file? Am afraid I can’t go back to open pdf in gimp any more so it has to.

Of course it will. It already does. 11.1

if you install the adobe reader add on for FF, you may open pdfs in
that, if you wish…

palladium

Don’t know whether that one’s ‘fixed’ as such. Hasn’t happened to me in a while, so it certainly might be… But there’s a perfectly serviceable workaround.

Gimp default for opening PDF’s from Firefox - openSUSE Forums

(last page)

A three page thread? There has to be much shorter guide.

Not in the 64bit KDE 4.1 edition atleast(unless there has been a major update recently).

Why should I need to install another reader when I already have a better one installed?

> palladium;2049561 Wrote:
>> if you install the adobe reader add on for FF, you may open pdfs in
>> that, if you wish…
>> Why should I need to install another reader when I already have a better
> one installed?

sorry, i misspoke…you don’t have to add anything to firefox if you
already have adobe reader installed…you just have to point firefox
to use it (i think ff default looks to an open reader, but it may
default to the adobe product–that is, you may not have to do anything)…

to set firefox do:

menu > edit > preferences > applications (tab) > scroll down to PDF
and select (your choice):

• open with Adobe Reader
  • save file
  • use other reader/application
  • always ask

palladium

FF has been able to open a real PDF reader in every openSUSE version I have been using since 9.x. And in not one case did I use gimp as the reader. At least it has been the case for me on 32-bit PCs running KDE. In some of the earlier SuSE versions I had to install an extra application (not gimp). In openSUSE-11.1 I have acroread installed, but there is also kpdf reader, and okular (KDE4) and evince (KDE3) and other readers.

I do not understand why it did not work for you.

But reference 11.2, if you want the best openSUSE-11.2 experience, then IMHO you should NOT rush into 11.2 before it is released. That will lead to a BAD experience and you will simply end up distro hopping some more. Intead wait until a couple of months AFTER 11.2 GM (ie wait until mid-Jan-2010) and only then install 11.2. Give SuSE-GmbH a chance to fix some of the bugs that will be found when the mass of users descend on 11.2.

I never used 4.1 with any seriousness on a 64-bit PC so I can’t say. But I can say it works on a 64-bit openSUSE-11.1 with KDE-4.3.1 and also with KDE-4.3.2.

This comment I do NOT understand. Your original question was " … Will FF open a real PDF reader … " and now you are limiting what reader you wish to use?

Totally agree here Lee.
I’m puzzled all over with this question anyway.:\

First post, last page. Can’t get much shorter than that.

That’s weird but I’m not alone with having this problem

I realise that the developers are not completely done with 11.2 but it’s worth a try as long as PDF works.

This comment I do NOT understand. Your original question was " … Will FF open a real PDF reader … " and now you are limiting what reader you wish to use?
Since okular is better and I have install. Why can’t I use it for online PDF files? It doesn’t make any sense why they wouldn’t allow me to do that. Especially when other distros does

Is s_f_a ready for the answers he receives?

Let’s try an even shorter guide.

YOU CAN. IT WORKS.

Or is your point that you shouldn’t have to change config files, ever? May I suggest that you might have better luck with a games console? :wink:

Since okular is better and I have install. Why can’t I use it for online PDF files? It doesn’t make any sense why they wouldn’t allow me to do that. Especially when other distros does

I have no issue here. I can choose Okular in my settings or kpdf or adobe. You must be missing something.
http://thumbnails21.imagebam.com/5208/3acfeb52073042.gif](ImageBam)

So now the question is not “will FF open a real PDF reader” , but rather its specifically “**will Okular do this ? **” . That is different. That is MUCH MORE specific. And that I can not answer. I have never tried to setup Firefox to call Okular.

Frankly, I don’t think Okular is better. And I do not think Okular is the ONLY “real PDF reader”. I know others who share my view.

IMHO you need to rephrase your thread title if you wish Okular specific help or an Okular specific prediction.

So now the question is not “will FF open a real PDF reader” , but rather its specifically “**will Okular do this ? **” . That is different. That is MUCH MORE specific. And that I can not answer. I have never tried to setup Firefox to call Okular.

It most certainly does work Lee. And FYI. Okular works well now with Forms in PDF (That’s where you type in text to forms). It’s rockin’:wink:

@ Confuseling. I’m not the only one who has had problem with this. The problem exists. This was not the only reason I left. I had several issues with it.
@oldcpu You still need to install Adobe then. In other words opensuse won’t open PDF without some tweaks.

Yes, I am using currently Adobe acroread, and when I open a pdf from firefox, it uses acrocread.

But I also recall that BEFORE I installed acroread I still was able to open a pdf file with firefox, which presumably called another application.

On my 64-bit KDE-3.5.10 openSUSE-11.1 PC that was either kpdf or evince (probably kpdf). I don’t have my 64-bit KDE-4.3.2 PC (my Dell Studio laptop) setup right now to see what it uses, … and don’t really see the need to check. I do recall it worked before acroread being installed. As for some tweaks, … in 11.1 from what I recall is it “just worked”. No tweaks. ( … but I did have kdegraphics3-pdf installed … )

After installing acroread, I believe the acroread installation script changes the firefox settings to call acroread.

I don’t recall waking up and finding that the pdf viewer was working either.:smile:

Did you see me claim that it didn’t exist? If you bother to read the thread I linked to, you’ll see that I suffered the problem too.

You’ll also see that it is either a) fixed now or b) easy to rectify with a one line alteration to a config file.

Don’t you think it’s a little bit rude to open a thread ostensibly asking whether there’s been a solution to a bug, then when a solution is given, brush it off for no discernible reason?

If your purpose is to complain, rather than get a solution, then being deceptive about it just wastes people’s time: call your thread “SUSE isn’t ready for the desktop!” and be done with it…

I just want to pop in and confirm s_f_a problem of gimp opening PDF’s. It occurring on my 11.1 KDE4 setup.
Im not sure how it happened, it must have been after i installed gimp, maybe it sets itself as the assigned application for pdf’s.
Anyway, i also figured i didnt have an other apps installed specifically for pdf’s and I really havnt searched hard for a solution yet. But that would be surprising if nothing is installed by default.

We have 6 PCs at home running openSUSE-11.1. I also maintain my mother’s PC a continent away (ie a 7th PC), and it is also running openSUSE-11.1. They all “just work” in displaying pdf files with firefox. I spent NO extra time setting it up. None. Nadda a second extra. Again, they “just work”. The various PCs have openSUSE-11.1:

• 32-bit with KDE-3.5.10
  • 32-bit with KDE-4.3.1
  • 64-bit with KDE-3.5.10
  • 64-bit with KDE-4.3.2

Again, I did nothing special. It just worked. All I can think is I am doing something systemically correct in how I install openSUSE and you are doing something systemically different in how you install. What else can it be ?