Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DVD's not playing (some)

Default DVD's not playing (some)

Hi

I have Opensuse 11.1 (Gnome interface) installed on an HP laptop. My problem is that I am unable to get some DVDs to play using either Totem or VLC. However most DVD's do play OK - its just a minority that don't. Is this expected behaviour or can I do something about it ? Just a bit frustrating to sit down to watch a DVD and be unable to watch it. I did think this might be a DVD Region problem, but having checked the DVDs that play and don't play, this doesn't seem to be the case.

Thanks for you help

David

Blog Entries

Default Re: DVD's not playing (some)

Commercial DVDs tend to be encrypted, and set for specific regions. In Linux it is possible to decrypt most encrypted DVDs using the package libdvdcss. However I have read that does not work for all of the very latest DVDs which may utilize a different encryption method.

Thus I suspect the problem you face is either:
    • region coding problem, or
    • decryption problem

Besides attempting with vlc and totem, did you attempt with smplayer (packaged by packman) or kaffeine ? (packaged by packman, with packman packaged libxine1 to provide its video/sound engin) ?

I assume you checked to see if the DVDs that are gi ving you problems are good quality DVDs ?

Hi

I haven't tried smplayer or kaffeine - so I will try. The DVDs are good quality. In the most recent case, I have two DVDs published by the BBC of a comedy program called "Early Doors". Series 1 plays in Totem no problem; Series 2 won't play at all. Just to be sure I checked in a DVD player via the TV - both play no problems.

it has always been the same for me but i find won't play with mplayer will play with xine and the other way round

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dth2
    it has always been the same for me but i find won't play with mplayer
    will play with xine and the other way round
    Hi
    Did you install libdvdcss?

--
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.29-0.1-default
    up 1 day 23:13, 2 users, load average: 0.88, 0.47, 0.18
    GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 190.18

Hmm - thats interesting. I've just tried playing DVDs with xine and mplayer/smplayer. They all error with Codec problems. They appear to have been installed - but obviously are missing some critical bits. Anyone know what the critical components / libraries that I need to make sure are downloaded ? And should I uninstall xine, mplayer/smplayer first and start again ?

Thanks

Blog Entries

Please post result of this in a terminal

Code:
    zypper lr -d
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

response to zypper lr -d is:

1 | Libdvdcss repository | Libdvdcss repository | No | No | 90 | NONE | http://suse.linuxin.dk/repo/11.1/ |
    2 | openSUSE-11.1-Non-Oss | openSUSE-11.1-Non-Oss | Yes | Yes | 99 | NONE | Index of /distribution/11.1/repo/non-oss |
    3 | openSUSE-11.1-Oss | openSUSE-11.1-Oss | Yes | Yes | 99 | NONE | Index of /distribution/11.1/repo/oss |
    4 | openSUSE:11.1 | openSUSE:11.1 | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.1/repo/oss |
    5 | repo | Main Repository (NON-OSS) | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.1/repo/non-oss |
    6 | repo-update | openSUSE-11.1-Update | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /update/11.1 |
    7 | repo_1 | Main Repository (OSS) | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.1/repo/oss |
    8 | repo_2 | Main Update Repository | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /update/11.1 |
    9 | repo_3 | Packman Repository | Yes | Yes | 90 | rpm-md | Index of /pub/packman/suse/11.1 |
    10 | repo_4 | VideoLan Repository | No | No | 90 | rpm-md | Index of /pub/videolan/vlc/SuSE/11.1/ |

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by billingd View Post
    response to zypper lr -d is:

1 | Libdvdcss repository | Libdvdcss repository | No | No | 90 | NONE | http://suse.linuxin.dk/repo/11.1/ |
    4 | openSUSE:11.1 | openSUSE:11.1 | Yes | Yes | 120 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.1/repo/oss |
    5 | repo | Main Repository (NON-OSS) | Yes | Yes | 120 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.1/repo/non-oss |
    6 | repo-update | openSUSE-11.1-Update | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /update/11.1 |
    9 | repo_3 | Packman Repository | Yes | Yes | 90 | rpm-md | Index of /pub/packman/suse/11.1 |
    10 | repo_4 | VideoLan Repository | No | No | 90 | rpm-md | Index of /pub/videolan/vlc/SuSE/11.1/ |
    Edit as above. I have removed duplicates and changed priority on oss and non-oss
    Look at it carefully!

When done run online update
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Try mplayer dvdnav:// on the DVDs that don't "work" for you. dvdnav can crack ARccOS encrypted DVDs, which most of the newer ones are

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast