Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How would i install firefox-3.5.3?

Question How would i install firefox-3.5.3?

I have installed openSUSE 11.1 with only kde.
    It's firefox 3.0.4 installed.
    Can't find any option to update.
    How can i install firefox 3.5.3?

Blog Entries

Default Re: How would i install firefox-3.5.3?

Quote Originally Posted by colao View Post
    I have installed openSUSE 11.1 with only kde.
    It's firefox 3.0.4 installed.
    Can't find any option to update.
    How can i install firefox 3.5.3?
    There is a list of repositories here, with a mozilla repos:
    Additional YaST Package Repositories - openSUSE

With your PC connected to the internet, and in a terminal/konsole with root permissions, I recommend you copy and paste the following:
    Code:
    zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_11.1/ mozilla
    Code:
    zypper install MozillaFirefox
    Code:
    zypper rr mozilla
    then restart firefox.

Thanks.Solved.

Buckeyez NNTP User

I'm having the same issue. Oldcpu, i've followed your directions and this is what I'm getting in response. Just installed 11.1 kde (I believe) forgot what I chose during install and not sure how to check it.

-------------
    zypper install mozillafirefox
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...
    'MozillaFirefox' is already installed.
    Resolving package dependencies...
    Nothing to do.
    --------------
    Only version of ff is the one that comes installed. So I'm not sure what's going on. This is my 1st time trying out a linux distro, always been a windows man .

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It may be because of repository priorities, which you can check in Yast>Software>Repositories. You can also chose an specific package version on the versions tab of Yast>Software>Software Management, after you add the mozilla repo.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeyez View Post
    I'm having the same issue. Oldcpu, i've followed your directions and this is what I'm getting in response. Just installed 11.1 kde (I believe) forgot what I chose during install and not sure how to check it.
    You believe ? You need to be certain what version of openSUSE you have.

What is the output of:
    Code:
    cat /etc/SuSE-release
    Note Linux is case sensitive.

and if was kde that you are not certain about what kde version you have, to find out type:
    Code:
    konsole -v
    Now reference, "MozillaFirefox already installed" , ... what version do you have already installed? You can easily check the firefox version you have installed by going to YaST > Software > Software Maintenance and change the filter to "search" and search for it, to see the version.

Alternatively simply type:
    Code:
    rpm -qa '*efox*'
    If that is not MozillaFirefox-3.5.3 then you did not send the repository command first .. Note I provided 3 commands and not two.

You may find it use to read up on some openSUSE concepts: Concepts - openSUSE

and also read our stickie for new users: NEW Users - Suse-11.1 Pre-installation PLEASE READ - openSUSE Forums

.... as noted, you may also have your repositories setup wrong ... you can tell what repositories you have setup by typing:
    Code:
    zypper lr -d
    ... and WELCOME to openSUSE forums

Buckeyez NNTP User

Here is the output of: cat /etc/SuSE-release
    openSUSE 11.1 (i586)
    VERSION = 11.1
    -------------
    output from: konsole -v
    The program 'konsole' can be found in following packages:
    * kde4-konsole [ path: /usr/bin/konsole, repository: zypp (repo-oss) ]
    * kdebase3 [ path: /opt/kde3/bin/konsole, repository: zypp (repo-oss) ]
    * kde4-konsole [ path: /usr/bin/konsole, repository: zypp (openSUSE 11.1-0) ]
    * kdebase3 [ path: /opt/kde3/bin/konsole, repository: zypp (openSUSE 11.1-0) ]
    * kde4-konsole [ path: /usr/bin/konsole, repository: zypp (repo-update) ]

Try installing with: sudo zypper install kde4-konsole

bash: konsole: command not found

I'm going to assume that I chose gnome since this isn't recognizing kde to be installed?
    -----------------------------------
    output from: rpm -qa '*efox*'
    MozillaFirefox-3.0.14-0.1.2
    MozillaFirefox-branding-openSUSE-3.0.3-3.11
    beagle-firefox-0.3.8-46.34.1
    -----------------------------------

As for the 3 commands I followed them in order as shown in the post (top to bottom) and everything seemed like it was going well. I know I need to read up, it's finding time to do it.

Blog Entries

You forgot one.
    Code:
    zypper lr -d
    Firefox 3.5.3 is Index of /repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_11.1
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    Don't ask "if" something can be done, for it can always be done. Rather instead ask "How" can it be done.

Buckeyez NNTP User

sorry

zypper lr -d
    # | Alias | Name | Enabled | Refresh | Priority | Type | URI | Service
    --+-----------------+-----------------------+---------+---------+----------+--------+-----------------------------------------------------------------+--------
    1 | 11.1 - VideoLan | 11.1 - VideoLan | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /pub/videolan/vlc/SuSE/11.1/ |
    2 | openSUSE 11.1-0 | openSUSE 11.1-0 | Yes | No | 99 | yast2 | cd:///?devices=/dev/sr0 |
    3 | repo-debug | openSUSE-11.1-Debug | No | Yes | 100 | NONE | Index of /debug/distribution/11.1/repo/oss |
    4 | repo-non-oss | openSUSE-11.1-Non-Oss | Yes | Yes | 100 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.1/repo/non-oss |
    5 | repo-oss | openSUSE-11.1-Oss | Yes | Yes | 100 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.1/repo/oss |
    6 | repo-source | openSUSE-11.1-Source | No | Yes | 100 | NONE | Index of /source/distribution/11.1/repo/oss |
    7 | repo-update | openSUSE-11.1-Update | Yes | Yes | 20 | rpm-md | Index of /update/11.1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeyez View Post
    sorry

zypper lr -d
    # | Alias | Name | Enabled | Refresh | Priority | Type | URI | Service
    --+-----------------+-----------------------+---------+---------+----------+--------+-----------------------------------------------------------------+--------
    1 | 11.1 - VideoLan | 11.1 - VideoLan | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /pub/videolan/vlc/SuSE/11.1/ |
    2 | openSUSE 11.1-0 | openSUSE 11.1-0 | Yes | No | 99 | yast2 | cd:///?devices=/dev/sr0 |
    3 | repo-debug | openSUSE-11.1-Debug | No | Yes | 100 | NONE | Index of /debug/distribution/11.1/repo/oss |
    4 | repo-non-oss | openSUSE-11.1-Non-Oss | Yes | Yes | 100 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.1/repo/non-oss |
    5 | repo-oss | openSUSE-11.1-Oss | Yes | Yes | 100 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.1/repo/oss |
    6 | repo-source | openSUSE-11.1-Source | No | Yes | 100 | NONE | Index of /source/distribution/11.1/repo/oss |
    7 | repo-update | openSUSE-11.1-Update | Yes | Yes | 20 | rpm-md | Index of /update/11.1
    Yep. That's why you don't have 3.5.3.

Code:
    zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_11.1
    Code:
    zypper ref
    Code:
    zypper up MozillaFirefox
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    Don't ask "if" something can be done, for it can always be done. Rather instead ask "How" can it be done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast