Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: no widgets at bottom of screen

Question no widgets at bottom of screen

Please forgive my ignorance of appropriate terminology.

I've done something by accident -- I don't know what, but the panel at the bottom of my screen is gone. There's nothing there, just a grey panel. How do I restore it to how it was when the system was first installed?

Question Re: no widgets at bottom of screen

I found this response, but don't know how to implement it. How do I do it?

Default Re: How to restore taskbar?
    try this
    delete: .kde4/share/config/plasma-appletsrc

make a copy first

this is for kde4

if you are kde 3 it's
    .kde/share/config/kickerrc

then Ctrl-alt-backspace
    login again

Question Re: no widgets at bottom of screen

Not knowing what a taskbar was called when I first opened this thread, I googled the question: "What do you call the panel at the bottom of the screen?"

Subsequently, I discovered that I can have a Gnome-panel added to my desktop. So I went to software management and downloaded and installed. But I don't see it (nor any other taskbar either, for that matter). How do I get the Gnome-panel on my desktop?

The Kicker taskbar looks like something I want try out; how can I get it on my desktop?

Would it be practical to have different panels on each of the four desktops that were on the KDE4 taskbar before I accidentally made it disappear?

Thanks for any help that may be given.

Default Re: no widgets at bottom of screen

Personally, I think it's safer to muck around with settings files outside of KDE - although in this particular case the poster suggesting you do it that way is probably right in that it's safe, I'll suggest to you how to do it generally...

Step 1: Get out of KDE. You have two options here - you can reboot into runlevel 3, by rebooting the system, then at the bootloader, putting the selection box over 'openSUSE', pressing the number 3, then hitting return, and logging in at the text prompt.

Or log in to a virtual console. First log out of KDE, so you're back at the graphical log-in screen. Hit ctrl-alt-f1. This will put you on a text terminal. [Correction: Sorry-] Now log in as root, then type 'killall kdm', then type 'exit', then log in as normal user.

Now you can move the desired settings file

Code:
    mv ~/.kde4/share/config/plasma-appletsrc ~/.kde4/share/config/plasma-appletsrc.bak
    Those are tildas ~ , not hyphens. Finally, reboot to (hopefully) be back to normal

Code:
    su
    reboot
    [Edit - wrote that before your last post appeared. I don't think you can have different panels on different screens without major hacking, or an unusual window manager. You could probably get the gnome panel running in KDE, but you might be better off at this stage just trying out gnome as it is, and KDE as it is... custom jobs like that aren't impossible, but they've got more of a chance of going wrong for an inexperienced user.]

palladium NNTP User

you need to say if you are using Gnome, KDE3, KDE4, Xfce or what...

--
    palladium

Whatever came with the install; KDE4, I think.

Thank you for the directions. I'll try.

palladium NNTP User

Randymanme wrote:
    > Whatever came with the install; KDE4, I think.

well...unlike other popular operating systems which give no choice
    with the desktop environment (aka: DE) you use, openSUSE 11.1 comes
    with KDE3, KDE4, GNOME, XFCE and several others that not though not
    listed like here:

http://en.opensuse.org/INSTALL_Local...ktop_selection

can be added later...

unfortunately, that *choice* also leads to that widget thing at the
    bottom having several different options on how to get it back if you
    accidentally delete it..

like: the fix you quoted and the alternative fix given to you by
    Confuseling will *only* work for KDE4..

--
    palladium

Well, okay (?). I tried rebooting into runlevel 3, logged in, put in the code. I must have not done it correctly (I couldn't copy and paste). It said something to the effect of "No command found."

So I tried to get zypper to install gnome panel and it said gnome panel already installed (but I still couldn't see it). Then I fiddled around here and there right clicking on where the panel used to be. and the next time I happened to look down, there it was. Not exactly as it was before, but perfectly well acceptable as it is.

I am a tad embarrassed over being unable to tell you what made it come back; but then, too, I can't tell what I did that made it disappear, either. So I'm not just Tweedle Dee, I'm Tweedle Dumb, too. OH, well.

Moving on, how can I prevent this episode from reoccurring? Will the lock widgets option when I right click on the taskbar make it to where I cannot accidentally make the taskbar disappear again? Or if not that, what? Can I lock the taskbar? You, know, like, make it Randall-proof.

About the runlevel 3; do I need to change it back to [what, 5(?)]? What is the significance of the different runlevels and what one is optimum?

Well, anyway, Thank you very much!

These are runlevels. By rebooting you're back in 5, so no action needed.

Basic Tasks:Switch Runlevel - openSUSE

Lock widgets should work. I'd try to figure out why the instructions I gave didn't work though - you need to understand how to do things like move (or rename, which amounts to the same thing) directories in Linux to use the system effectively, unless you intend to rely on reinstalling every time things go wrong.

Maybe have a google for 'linux command line basics', and try some experiments yourself - make some files in your home directory, delete them, move them... None of this needs to be done as root, so it's (theoretically ) harmless...

palladium NNTP User

Randymanme wrote:
    > I tried rebooting into runlevel 3, logged in, put in the code. I
    > must have not done it correctly (I couldn't copy and paste). It
    > said something to the effect of "No command found."

probably said "command not found" which is a BASH error....which must
    mean that you didn't type "mv" correctly...did you use capital
    letters? in Linux (unlike Redmond's) case counts, that is: Mv, mV, and
    MV are *not* the same as mv..

if you had typed mv correctly and then not typed the rest correctly it
    would have returned an error more like "No such file or directory"