Thread: Making the installer DVD USB bootable?

Default Making the installer DVD USB bootable?

Hi All,

In the 11.2 M8 announcement there is a quick way to make the live CD bootable using dd

Note, if you need to try the live CD on a machine with no CD-ROM drive, you can copy it to a USB key with the following command:

dd if=image.iso of=/dev/sdX bs=4M
    This works beautifully, but it would also be good if this would be possible with the installer DVD. I've tried it - the USB media does not boot.

Does anybody know if the DVD installer can be created as USB install media?

Thanks!
    Have a lot of fun!

Default Re: Making the installer DVD USB bootable?

You could try to run the script of comment #6 of https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=537074 against the DVD ISO (no guarantee, make a copy first).

Hi Beineri,

Thanks for your reply! The isohybrid script looks interesting

For now, I've found a way around it using a openSUSE wiki : SuSE install from USB drive - openSUSE

In short:
    on an openSUSE 11.1 system: I did the copy from the install DVD iso to a usb FAT 32 partition, dismounted the usb, ran the custom mksusebootdisk script & used fdisk to mark the usb partition bootable.

At least, got this working for SLES 11, so I think it will work for 11.2. I'll give that a try later this week.

As a note to others...
    The only hitch I hit was when the installer loaded it prompted for CD1 (Please make sure...) . It's then just a question of going back to the menu, saying the install source is on the usb (is set as sda1 in my case) and onwards it goes.
    After the packages have been copied the system reboots and I have to input the install source is on sdb1 (as the internal disk becomes sda).

Good to see openSUSE and also SLES 11 support the Acer nettop's hardware out of the box.

Cheers,
    Willem
    Have a lot of fun!

I have tried that same thing but still can't install. Two problems, first the graphical boot fails saying "invalid keyword in configuration file", and second, after I type linux at the boot prompt it starts an ncurses installer. After setting the drive to /dev/sdb1 (my usb key) it then asks for a source but no matter what I enter it comes back with the message "no repository found".

Toshiba A105-S4384, Patriot 8GB usb key, install dvd for 11.2m8
    currently running opensuse 11.1 kernel 2.6.27.29, kde 4.1.3

Did yours boot into graphics? What did you enter for source?

How did you find the mksusebootdisk script?
    I've been googled it for a long time, there is a similar one on the x64 .iso (mkbootdisk) it only works with FAT-16.

thx
    SuSe 11.1 on Thinkpad T40 (1.6GHz|1.5Gb is pushing)
    SuSe 11.1 on Thanikpad X61 Tablet (Core2Dure 1.6GHz|4Gb|Intel 965GM|WD7200rpm320GB).