Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i cant find linux driver of my sound card

Default i cant find linux driver of my sound card

In windows my sound card works well but in suse 10.0 i can not hear anything when amorak was playing an mp3 file. i have an gigabyte 8s648fx mainboard and my sound card is on mainboard. i tried to find my card`s linux driver but there was no for linux. on board sound CMedia9761. could you help me for this

Default Re: i cant find linux driver of my sound card

Quote Originally Posted by riggss View Post
    suse 10.0
    SUSE Linux Lifetime - openSUSE

thanx. i understand that its life ended. but i couldnt find the driver on Gigabyte main site for linux. there was just for windows

And you think your chances for finding a driver or people supporting you are getting better by using a distro which has become obsolete 2 years ago?

(Not even mentioning the rather good chances that newer versions might support the device out of the box.)

if i would use suse11.2 i couldnt find the driver for linux then how would i solve the problem....because at this link GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - Driver - 8S648FX-RZ you can find only windows versions of drivers for my card. would suse detect the driver authomatically. i think my mainboard is very old forsuse. sorry for my english...i wish i could tell in turkish...thanx a lot

First of all, 11.2 is still beta, so 11.1 would be the most recent stable at the moment.

Secondly, most vendors don't offer linux drivers, so you are looking at the wrong place.

Thirdly, support of hardware is done by the kernel, the newer the kernel the more devices supported.

Now draw your conclusions.

1. i have no dvd room on my pc. suse 10.0 is an obligation now. my laptop is busy....
    2. why dont vendors offer their linux versions. is there a secret negotiate with bill gates and where shoud i control for my linux driver(repository?)
    3. i understand that soon maybe i can find a driver for my card

1. i have no dvd room on my pc. suse 10.0 is an obligation now. my laptop is busy....
    All versions of openSUSE offer you also a Live CD with the option to install the OS from that medium.

For testing if your card works you can just boot off that CD and you will have a result in less than 5 minutes.
    2. why dont vendors offer their linux versions. is there a secret negotiate with bill gates and where shoud i control for my linux driver(repository?)
    Ask the vendors.

3. i understand that soon maybe i can find a driver for my card
    Good luck for that.

i appreciate your answers. but i dont still know that i could find driver from a repository or not...is answer ask vendors

Well, before anybody can give you an answer what driver might work, you should give some information.

"Names" of devices are not sufficient, unique IDs from "/sbin/lspci -nn", "lsusb", "/usr/sbin/hwinfo --sound" are.

P.S.

You won't find drivers from a repository (at least not from a SuSE-repository) for sure.

The reason can be found in my first and second answer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast