Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Install openSUSE 11.1 onto Acer 1410 or 1810

Default Install openSUSE 11.1 onto Acer 1410 or 1810

Hi.

I couldn't find a thread on installing openSUSE 11.1 onto an Acer Aspire 1410 (Acer Timeline 1810T) on these forums (or the net in general) so I thought I'd start one since I'm about to do just that. There's a very good section on installing on the Acer Aspire One, but the 1410/1810T is different enough to perhaps warrant another document/thread?

1. The 1410 comes pre-installed with Vista. I don't plan to boot into that, even for a first time. I would like to preserve the Restore partition in case I sell the machine to someone else that wants Vista/7. (I'm guessing that getting money back isn't a feasible thing.) Anyway, will the partition appear as something recognizable that I can easily avoid formatting during the partition process? Also, is there special Restore software that I should back-up outside of the Restore partition? (Having never had Windows or a laptop before, Restore partitions are completely foreign to me, i.e. how they operate.)

2. I plan to install using a USB pen drive with these instructions:

SuSE install from USB drive - openSUSE

Any potential gotchas to watch out for, especially for the 1410/1810T?

3. Any broken things after the install that I need to fix with openSUSE 11.1? (I saw that Ubuntu users needed to install a patch to fix the wired ethernet port:

Acer Aspire 1410 [Linux Laptop Wiki]
    )

Thanks!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Install openSUSE 11.1 onto Acer 1410 or 1810

There doesn't seem to be anything specifically here: HCL/Laptops/Acer - openSUSE

I can tell you though OEM recovery and OS partitions can easily be messed up. Personally I just erased all mine and I have currently re-installed Vista for some testing I am doing with Grub. (You can actually re-install Vista if you can get your hands on a Full Install DVD, regardless of the fact that you are OEM - This what I did) One advantage of this is you loose all the ****-ware too.

What you need to keep in mind is where Grub gets placed. Normally the ideal location is the MBR but if you do this it could ruin your chances of using the current install of Vista or the recovery. But it depends a little on the partition setup.

By default SUSE will at install, probably not put Grub on the MBR but to the extended partition it creates during install and it will switch the boot flag to that partition too. You can read about this iin more detail here:
    All About Grub - openSUSE
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Only component, that looks "problematic" with 11.1 is -surprisingly- the wired ethernet card.

But:

Software.openSUSE.org - results for atl1c

Sad to admit, but my 10 year old dual-PII 350Mhz desktop running SUSE 10.1 and USB 2.0 controller card took about *four* hours to transfer the openSUSE 11.1 DVD iso (from hard drive) to a SanDisk Cruzer 8 GB USB pen drive... ugh...

After the long wait, I was able to boot with the USB drive into an initial text mode to select the install medium, which was of course, the USB drive listed as a VFAT hard drive underneath the two listings for the Vista Recovery partition (I think) and the main Vista install. Since I put the DVD iso in the top root directory, I specified "/" as the source and I was on my way. The install seemed to correctly identify the resolution of the machine as the graphical install was sharp. I went through the motions of install but then abandoned since I wanted to think more about partitioning, perhaps doing /, /boot, swap and /home, as with my desktop.

caf4926: Thanks for your tips. I'm not interested in Vista myself, but perhaps another user later on might. Is Windows "authenticity" tied to a keycode that I can find on the machine? (for a later install?) (Since this machine is eligible for 7, I wonder if I would get physical media or just a code to download it?)

Akoellh: For the wired atl1c driver, do I just download what appears to be the "main" package, without all the extensions in the name? I see many packages from the search result... (Thanks for providing the build!)

Blog Entries

Is Windows "authenticity" tied to a keycode that I can find on the machine? (for a later install?) (Since this machine is eligible for 7, I wonder if I would get physical media or just a code to download it?)
    For me. I used the Vista Product Key from the machine. Then did online validation, you have to completely re-do validation (make a note of it) because for me the install media was different. The product key just makes the install select the correct product from the DVD, for me, Vista Business.

As for win7, I have no idea what 'pig in a poke' deal they will be offering there.
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

I booted Vista once on my Acer eMachine to copy the manual which is on the Vista partition; then I told openSUSE to overwrite everything except the recovery partition.

I've had no problems with the hardware and the only thing which didn't work with Linux on my previous Acer (from five years ago) was the wireless.

I made another attempt at making a bootable USB pen drive partition, but this time on a Corsair Flash Voyager 8 GB USB pen drive. It only took 20 minutes to copy the openSUSE 11.1 DVD iso this time! Much better!

The 1410 has two partitions from the factory:

12 GB, ntfs, PQSERVICE (which I'm guessing is the Vista Restore partition)
    221 GB, ntfs, ACER (which is the Vista install)

I decided to go with this configuration for the partitioning:

12 GB, ntfs, PQSERVICE (keep the Vista Restore)
    100 MB, ext3, /boot
    4 GB, swap, swap
    extended
    20 GB, ext3, /
    20 GB, ext3, /usr
    194 GB, ext3, /home

The install took about 20 minutes as well...

Every reboot is a new adventure! Argh!

1st install: Everything installed fine, though auto-detection of the display went back to 800x600 (which I corrected in the 2nd install). First order of business was to get wi-fi up and install patches. Wi-fi worked and found my network. The patches required a restart midway through, which is where things went awry. I couldn't get back in. I saw a segfault in the console followed by a few "respawing too fast" errors (which halted boot). I did a little research but gave up and decided to do a 2nd install...

2nd install: Installation went fine. I set the monitor to LCD with 1366x768. I did a restart and it didn't come back up to runlevel 5. Rebooted and things were fine. Each successive reboot brings a new problem: doesn't get to runlevel 5, makes it to runlevel 5 but display is blank, boots up with no sound and wi-fi, bunch of new errors that makes the filesystem read-only, etc...

I'll continue to poke around and see if I can get anything concrete going. I know I haven't reported enough for anyone else to help me debug, but the problems are seriously changing from boot to boot...

Still on 2nd install...

3rd reboot got me back up to runlevel 5 with sound and wi-fi, which is huge for getting the updated patches. I started the patching process again and this time I noted the rookie mistake I made: Instead of restarting, I only needed to logout/re-login for the Package Manager patches to take effect. That was probably the root of my problems with the 1st install and the cause of the weird system states after the 1st install.

The system is busily patching the system now... Hopefully with all the patches, everything will be more stable...

Quote Originally Posted by linuxvinh View Post
    For the wired atl1c driver, do I just download what appears to be the "main" package, without all the extensions in the name? I see many packages from the search result... (Thanks for providing the build!)
    Choosing the correct kmp-package for your installation - openSUSE Forums

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast