Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: hardware check

  1. #1

    Default hardware check

    hi all, i'm new to opensuse.... please don't laugh when i ask dumb questions!

    first off, in ubuntu based systems i was able to run "lspci -v" in the terminal to get a rundown of all the hardware on the system

    i'm assuming there's an analagous command in opensuse? what is it?

    thanks

  2. #2
    google01103 NNTP User

    Default Re: hardware check

    hail santa wrote:

    >
    > hi all, i'm new to opensuse.... please don't

    laugh when i ask dumb
    > questions!
    >
    > first off, in ubuntu based systems i was able

    to run "lspci -v" in the
    > terminal to get a rundown of all the hardware

    on the system
    >
    > i'm assuming there's an analagous command in

    opensuse? what is it?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    >

    i run "lspci -v" on openSuse you need to install
    the "pciutils" package
    --
    openSuse 11.1 x64bit, KDE4.x Factory, Opera
    weekly

  3. #3
    google01103 NNTP User

    Default Re: hardware check

    google01103 wrote:

    > hail santa wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> hi all, i'm new to opensuse.... please don't

    > laugh when i ask dumb
    >> questions!
    >>
    >> first off, in ubuntu based systems i was able

    > to run "lspci -v" in the
    >> terminal to get a rundown of all the hardware

    > on the system
    >>
    >> i'm assuming there's an analagous command in

    > opensuse? what is it?
    >>
    >> thanks
    >>
    >>

    > i run "lspci -v" on openSuse you need to

    install
    > the "pciutils" package

    you can use http://software.opensuse-
    community.org/web/search to answer similar
    queries or the search function in yast's software
    managemen module or the command "pin"
    --
    openSuse 11.1 x64bit, KDE4.x Factory, Opera
    weekly

  4. #4
    Camalen NNTP User

    Default Re: hardware check

    hail santa wrote:

    > first off, in ubuntu based systems i was able to run "lspci -v" in the
    > terminal to get a rundown of all the hardware on the system
    >
    > i'm assuming there's an analagous command in opensuse? what is it?


    It's the same. Just has to be runned as root user:

    hpc02@stthpc:~> su -c 'lspci -v'

    and type the root password.

    Greetings,

    --
    Camalen

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kansas City Area, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    7,236

    Default Re: hardware check

    google01103 wrote:
    > google01103 wrote:
    >
    >> hail santa wrote:
    >>
    >>> hi all, i'm new to opensuse.... please don't

    >> laugh when i ask dumb
    >>> questions!
    >>>
    >>> first off, in ubuntu based systems i was able

    >> to run "lspci -v" in the
    >>> terminal to get a rundown of all the hardware

    >> on the system
    >>> i'm assuming there's an analagous command in

    >> opensuse? what is it?
    >>> thanks
    >>>
    >>>

    >> i run "lspci -v" on openSuse you need to

    > install
    >> the "pciutils" package

    > you can use http://software.opensuse-
    > community.org/web/search to answer similar
    > queries or the search function in yast's software
    > managemen module or the command "pin"


    In openSUSE, the directory /sbin is not in the search path. Use
    '/sbin/lspci -v' to do what you want. If you try a utility such as
    lspci and it is not found, use the command 'which lspci' to determine
    its path.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kansas City Area, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    7,236

    Default Re: hardware check

    Camalen wrote:
    > hail santa wrote:
    >
    >> first off, in ubuntu based systems i was able to run "lspci -v" in the
    >> terminal to get a rundown of all the hardware on the system
    >>
    >> i'm assuming there's an analagous command in opensuse? what is it?

    >
    > It's the same. Just has to be runned as root user:
    >
    > hpc02@stthpc:~> su -c 'lspci -v'
    >
    > and type the root password.


    It does not have to be run as root. You need do that only if you need
    one of the privileged operations. Using the switch -v does not need
    any special privilege.

  7. #7
    Camalen NNTP User

    Default Re: hardware check

    Larry Finger wrote:

    > It does not have to be run as root. You need do that only if you need
    > one of the privileged operations. Using the switch -v does not need
    > any special privilege.


    It's not about the "-v" argument.

    Just try it your self and look for the difference of both outputs (one
    runned as root and one runned as user).

    Hint: Capabilities?

    ;-)

    Greetings,

    --
    Camalen

  8. #8

    Default Re: hardware check

    '/sbin/lspci -v' did the trick

    thanks everybody

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •