How to disable cube activation?

Hi there. I’m on suse 11.1 kde 4.3. In desktop effects I have enabled Desktop cube and the only shortcut for activation displayed in settings is “Ctrl+Alt+Down” and it works ok. However desktop cube also activates when I move the mouse pointer to the right edge of the screen, I would like to disable this way of activation. I guess I have set up this activation through mouse somewhere, but don’t remember where :shame: Does anyone know where this setup may be? Thanks.

Hi,

in ‘configure desktop’ -> ‘Desktop’ -> ‘all effects’ tab: there should be a tool button next to desktop cube -> ‘basic’ tab: change ‘screen edge’

Regards,
Barry.

Hi
If you start simple-ccsm from a terminal (not sure where in the menu
system on KDE it is) there is a tab called edges, right-click and scroll
through the list to change.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.29-0.1-default
up 3 days 1:47, 2 users, load average: 0.19, 0.07, 0.12
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 190.18

in ‘configure desktop’ -> ‘Desktop’ -> ‘all effects’ tab: there should be a tool button next to desktop cube -> ‘basic’ tab: change ‘screen edge’
I can’t see “screen edge” anywhere :frowning:

Hi
If you start simple-ccsm from a terminal (not sure where in the menu
system on KDE it is) there is a tab called edges, right-click and scroll
through the list to change.
it says some ‘blah blah’ like this program is not installed but if I do

simple-ccsm-kde

I guess I get the settings you mean, but even If I disable all edges, the cube still activates with mouse >:( grrr…Do I need to have installed something special to be able to deactivate this maybe? Thanks again for you help.

Hi
On Gnome the compiz configuration information is in
~/.config/compiz/compizconfig-1 have a browse there and remember to
copy the files somewhere as backups before making any changes.

up 3 days 2:47, 2 users, load average: 0.18, 0.27, 0.91

Hi
On Gnome the compiz configuration information is in
~/.config/compiz/compizconfig-1 have a browse there and remember to
copy the files somewhere as backups before making any changes.
there are 2 file available: config with content

[kde4_session]
backend = ini
profile = 

and Default.ini with content

[core]
as_active_plugins = core;decoration;resize;regex;glx;dbus;workarounds;wm;place;png;animation;minimize;wobbly;fade;cube;rotate;move;switcher;scale;

[animation]
s0_open_effects = animation:Zoom;
s0_close_effects = animation:Zoom;

[rotate]

but nothing seems to be setting some mouse edge activity. Any other idea maybe.

Hi
I would have thought profile = Default.ini rather than blank? Else what
about the ccsm command?

up 3 days 3:19, 2 users, load average: 0.01, 0.04, 0.15

Hi
about the ccsm command?
[/QUOTE]
It should just be profile = Default (no ini)

up 3 days 3:34, 2 users, load average: 0.18, 0.07, 0.09

Hi
about the ccsm command?
Ok, I did change that in mentioned config file, logout from kde, login again, tried to simple-ccsm-kde
again, but no change in Edges did have any positive effect.ccsm command doesn’t work, it says ccsm can be found in “compizconfig-settings-manager”, this may be because I didn’t install any extra compiz package (should I have installed it maybe ?), just default kde effects. Any other clue maybe.

Hi
Hmmm, sure it’s not some kwin effect running since that’s the default
on KDE4?

up 3 days 8:43, 2 users, load average: 0.43, 0.51, 0.33

Hi, you’re using Kwin? To disable the edge flip open Configure Desktop (Personal Settings), then go to Desktop. Click the category Screen Edges. Then change Switch Desktop on Edge to either disabled or only when moving windows.

Disabled will stop it completely. Only when moving windows will allow you to move a window to an edge and that action will provoke the switching of desktops. The mouse towards the edge will do nothing.

Also the shortcuts for things like desktop cube can be found in Configure Desktop (Personal Settings)>Keyboard and Mouse>Global Keyboard Shortcuts

Then use the dropdown arrow to switch the KDE component to Kwin. Here you can change all the shortcuts for the desktop effects of Kwin.

Take Care,

Ian

Hi, you’re using Kwin? To disable the edge flip open Configure Desktop (Personal Settings), then go to Desktop. Click the category Screen Edges. Then change Switch Desktop on Edge to either disabled or only when moving windows.

Disabled will stop it completely. Only when moving windows will allow you to move a window to an edge and that action will provoke the switching of desktops. The mouse towards the edge will do nothing.

Also the shortcuts for things like desktop cube can be found in Configure Desktop (Personal Settings)>Keyboard and Mouse>Global Keyboard Shortcuts

Then use the dropdown arrow to switch the KDE component to Kwin. Here you can change all the shortcuts for the desktop effects of Kwin.

Take Care,
yes I guess it is Kwin, I’m not at linux box right now, will try this when I get home, and report back, thanks for suggestion.

open Configure Desktop (Personal Settings), then go to Desktop. Click the category Screen Edges. Then change Switch Desktop on Edge to either disabled or only when moving windows
this did the trick :slight_smile: thanks ijbreakey