Opensuse 11.2 M8 on Macbook Pro 5,3

Just to inform everybody that using M8 I finally managed to get all the hardware working on my MBP 15"

Used the x86-64 DVD to install (already had REFIT boot loader on my machine) and then…

NNvidia 9600GT installation
NVIDIA/The hard way - openSUSE

To get the sound working (Post #98)
Ubuntu Forums - View Single Post - [ubuntu] Sound on a Macbook Pro 5,5?

Wireless
Broadcom.com - 802.11 Linux STA driver
Follow the instructions in the readme and do not forget a depmod -a

Hopefully all these things get into the base 11.2 but the M8 is working very well indeed!

That has to be one of the most bizarre solutions I have read to get sound working. But HEY, if it works, then IT WORKS !! :slight_smile: … Glad to read you had some success.

Or in other words, the guy writing this as a “how to” in that Ubuntu forum has no clue what he is talking about.

First removing a folder from the kernel-tree and then directly adding it again by reinstalling the kernel package makes no sense at all.

Obviously he also never heard of preferred folders for externally built modules, in this case installing the modules to /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/updates should be preferred and will ensure the self-built modules will be loaded.

Of course, with openSUSE one can (and should) always try ready made RPM packages, in this case from

Index of /repositories/multimedia:/audio:/KMP

first.

P.S.

This also applies to the wireless drivers:

Software.openSUSE.org

Well, reading that thread (or at least parts of it) was real “fun”.

james@james-laptop:~$ sudo modprobe snd-hda-intel
[sudo] password for james: 
WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist, it will be ignored in a future release.
WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist, it will be ignored in a future release.
FATAL: Error inserting snd (/lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/kernel/sound/acore/snd.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
WARNING: Error running install command for snd
WARNING: Error inserting snd_pcm (/lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/kernel/sound/acore/snd-pcm.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
WARNING: Error inserting snd_hwdep (/lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/kernel/sound/acore/snd-hwdep.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
WARNING: Error inserting snd_hda_codec (/lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/kernel/sound/pci/hda/snd-hda-codec.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
FATAL: Error inserting snd_hda_intel (/lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/kernel/sound/pci/hda/snd-hda-intel.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

Yeah, that’s exactly what happens if one does not take care, where external modules are being installed.

Mixed versions, maybe in the same folder and on loading you get those nice little “Unknown symbol in module” errors.

And of course this one is a “must have” for crappy tutorials:

wget ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tiwai/snapshot/alsa-driver-unstable-snapshot.tar.gz
tar xf alsa-driver-unstable-snapshot.tar.gz
cd alsa-driver-unstable
**sudo** ./configure --enable-dynamic-minors  --without-oss --with-cards="hda-intel"
**sudo** make
sudo make install

I always wonder, why people think they need root privileges for “./configure” and/or “make”, maybe they think that everbody else gets out of the way the same moment “the boss enters the building” (pun intended).

Whow, I knew I was doing it wrong but this was the only way google knew :wink:
With your tips I can try to do it using packages and the opensuse way.
I didn’t know about these repo’s…and also, google could not find it :wink:

The openSUSE community makes an effort to provide guidance, although there are gaps that need filling.

We have a forum guide here for new users:
New User How To/FAQ (read only) - openSUSE Forums

and then there is an openSUSE audio troubleshooting guide:
SDB:AudioTroubleshooting - openSUSE

and for updating alsa there is this guide:
Alsa-update - openSUSE

and for basic openSUSE Linux concepts this guide:
Concepts - openSUSE

The whole idea behind the framework for building kmp-packages in openSUSE is to provide a way, which allows users to install external (i.e. not in the mainline kernel or in a newer version than available in the mainline kernel) without having to compile from source and also in way, that you won’t run into the problem I showed above.

Normally, kmp-packages install their modules in /lib/modules/version/updates/ for a very good reason (see my first comment).

Another benefit is the fact, that -in most cases- those packages “survive” a kernel update and when adding the respective repos you will get automatic updates if there was a kernel update.

For more information on KMP, see this:

Kernel Module Packages - openSUSE

Of course this does not guarantee you, that those external drivers will always work (self compiling won’t either and if the code itself is buggy, neither method will help you), but it is always the better (= “cleaner”) way.

Software.openSUSE.org

Webpin

So I tried to install the drivers using the repositories suggested and I’m happy to say that it worked!

I still had to blacklist b43 and ssb before the wireless driver started to work.

From now on I will first search the wiki and forum so I fix problems the right way! (even though the wrong way also worked :P)
Demoting google on my search list…

Thanks for all your expert opinions!

On 10/11/2009 01:36 AM, koen dewitte wrote:
>
> So I tried to install the drivers using the repositories suggested and
> I’m happy to say that it worked!
>
> I still had to blacklist b43 and ssb before the wireless driver started
> to work.

Glad your problem is fixed. Just for the record, which Broadcom chip
do you have? Please post the output of ‘/sbin/lspci -nnv | grep 14e4’.

Here it goes…

#lspci -nnv | grep 14e4
04:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4322 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller [14e4:432b] (rev 01)

On 10/11/2009 01:36 PM, koen dewitte wrote:
>
> Here it goes…
>
> Code:
> --------------------
>
> #lspci -nnv | grep 14e4
> 04:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4322 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller [14e4:432b] (rev 01)

That is an N PHY card. The reverse engineering on those models is just
getting started and it will be some time before b43 will work on that
board. The Broadcom driver is your best solution. I hope they get the
instability problems worked out.

Happy to inform everyone that this procedure also works for 11.2 RC1
The rebooting also now works out of the box.
Still only need to manually compile pommed v1.28 to get full hotkeys support but i’m looking at the existing build projects…