So... I just upgraded to Gnome 2.26 but discovered that Compiz stopped working. Emerald still works, 3D acceleration still works, but Compiz stopped working. Emerald stopped working temporarily until I turned off desktop effects under "Desktop Effects" in "Look and Feel" in the Control Center. Until I turned off desktop effects, none of the windows had decorations and could not be moved. It was very bizarre. Let me explain bizarre for search engine users' benefit. I could not click and drag windows. Windows had to title bars, minimize, maximize or close buttons.

I could not, however, get effects and emerald working at the same time. Right now I have emerald but no effects.

The weirder thing is... "Desktop Effects" will no longer launch from the Control Center so I can't try to turn effects back on. I decided to download the CCSM (CompizConfig Settings Manager) and see if that would fix anything. It doesn't. If I enable stuff in there, it doesn't actually start working.

I discovered after a little searching that if I ran:

compiz --replace

from the command line everything goes back to normal I could get effects to work again. This was weird to me because if I turn that stuff on in CCSM it should be running that some place, right?

So... here's the question. Why can't I open "Desktop Effects" which I'm sure is a smaller version of CCSM packaged with OpenSuse 11.1?

And another question... where is "compiz --replace" supposed to be ran?

And another... is there a log file to see why "Desktop Effects" won't launch from the Control Center?

This is all very bizarre.

Do they really expect you to start "compiz --replace" manually every time you boot? There should be a service or something for that, right?